Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Toro 421 (HS40 engine) that seemed low on power, so I pulled the head to check valve clearances. I am new to inspecting the heads and valves on these motors, so just wondering what others think of this one. A quick check of clearances showed 0.013" on the intake and 0.010" on the exhaust. The specs (I think) are 0.004" and 0.008 respectively". I can see alot of buildup on the intake side. Just wondering if this was a too-rich condition? or what other problems there may be. I don't see a gasket leak, but again, I am new to this analysis. I will clean off the head and valves, and recheck the clearances.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Heck, for a hunnert bucks get a 6HP predator motor and you're good to go. (Never thought I'd be saying that but I'm convinced now.)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe: I would certainly get a predator if I needed a strong engine right away. This is to learn a bit and to do in my spare time. I actually was kinda hoping something was broke inside, then I would maybe justify buying new. I still haven't tried the predator motor.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
It might be a little on the rich side. Was the plug dark or the engine idled a lot?

If there are a lot of deposits on the valve stems I'd say the guides are a bit worn, especially if it smokes when throttling down. The exhaust valve looks pretty good to me though. Did it have a history of using oil?

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aveteam: I picked up the machine last season, and only got to use it once or twice, so I don't know the history. But it is 28 years old. It didn't seem to smoke or burn oil. And yes, the exhaust valve to me looks very clean. I will pull the valves, clean everything, and re-measure.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts