Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up another Ariens 5 HP snowblower and the whole engine has been taken apart. Don't ask me why but I would like to reassemble it. I need a book or website that shows the process. The engine is fine. Not sure why it was ever dismantled. Need a book.
It's a fairly new machine. Built in the last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? Somebody?
TIA

·
Registered
765 Posts
If it is an L-Head look in the sticky notes in this forum for a 4 stroke technician manual. It is a free down load. It may not have all you need but it is a very good reference and can get you started if your engine is in there.

I assume you have the engine model number and serial number?

It is usually stamped on the flywheel housing.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You might also want to check Clymer manuals if the info you need isn't found here.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sorry Joe, just seen this post and had already replied to the other thread.
You will need a torque wrench to do the job correctly. Harbor freight has them on sale if you don't have one. If the connecting rod and piston were removed, a 1/4" drive torque wrench would be needed to fit in the tight space around the crankshaft.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Auto parts stores also loan torque wrenches. Not sure if they will have one small enough though. Pay the deposit and then get a refund when you return it.

Check out donyboy73 on youtube as well. Search through his videos as he has a lot of snowblower engine rebuilds. Some for carb rebuilt and some for head jobs and some for piston / rings and rod replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, L head or OHV?
I'll have to check, J.T. All I know at this point is I have a basket full of disassembled engine.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'll have to check, J.T. All I know at this point is I have a basket full of disassembled engine.
I hope you got it for free. Your not sure if it is an L-head or a OHV version. Just a pile of parts? well good luck. L-head has a finned head with no valves and the OHV has an actual head that has the valves in it. I would not even bother. There is a good reason why someone took the Tecumsapart. It most likely did not run.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Flathead. Tecumseh OHV engines only started at 9hp (and typically they were 12 and 13hp).

They're pretty simple to rebuild, and all that ever normally happened to them was catastrophic failure when the rod breaks, beyond that not much goes wrong with them.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Flathead. Tecumseh OHV engines only started at 9hp (and typically they were 12 and 13hp).

They're pretty simple to rebuild, and all that ever normally happened to them was catastrophic failure when the rod breaks, beyond that not much goes wrong with them.
I have a 6 HP Tecumseh OHV on my chipper / shredder. Perhaps you were referring to snow specific engines?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a 6 HP Tecumseh OHV on my chipper / shredder. Perhaps you were referring to snow specific engines?
Hmm, seems they did make a Snow King that small. I've never seen or heard of one and I've worked on a few hundred snowblowers. Granted this is Atlantic Canada, Single stage machines basically don't exist here and Small two stage units are rare.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I find in situations like that, just lay parts out on a table and start grouping things where you think they go and you'll find it easier than you thought. A tec engine doesn't have THAT many parts.

You want to re-assemble it because of the awesome "look what I did" feeling you'll have.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Hmm, seems they did make a Snow King that small. I've never seen or heard of one and I've worked on a few hundred snowblowers. Granted this is Atlantic Canada, Single stage machines basically don't exist here and Small two stage units are rare.
Correction, I was doing some work outside today and looked and it is a 5.5 HP Enduro. Looks basically like this, but the stickers are a bit different. It isn't a snow engine though, obviously.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope you got it for free. Your not sure if it is an L-head or a OHV version. Just a pile of parts? well good luck. L-head has a finned head with no valves and the OHV has an actual head that has the valves in it. I would not even bother. There is a good reason why someone took the Tecumsapart. It most likely did not run.
Must be L head. Here's a few pics, Mark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it is an L-Head look in the sticky notes in this forum for a 4 stroke technician manual. It is a free down load. It may not have all you need but it is a very good reference and can get you started if your engine is in there.

I assume you have the engine model number and serial number?

It is usually stamped on the flywheel housing.[/QUOTE
I guess this is it. No stamping on metal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joe, Check with 94EG8, he should have all the info.
Thanks, J.T..
Its an L head engine and it has a broken intake valve. Scot has provided a download PDF link that I believe will get me through.THANKS, SCOT!) Piston has been tossed in loose with the bottom half of it laqying loose. I need to find which way it fits together and also figure out the dipper and timing and piston orientation and and and etc... Not to worry though. It'll get done.:)

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Except for the valve and a little bit of surface rust it doesn't look bad. I bet you can get it back together and running in no time. Donyboy73 on youtube has some piston and connecting rod replacement videos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts