Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
blew my motor last big storm and they are expecting another big one coming so I grabbed the 212cc predator to replace the old 5 hp Tecumseh. Anything I should expect? Shafts look to be same size but I saw some people mentioning spacers and whatnot.. Also does anyone have any pictures on the chute handle modifications?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if your existing tech engine is a single shaft , it should be a simple swap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Predator comes with a 3/4" OD straight crank about 2.4" in length.

I suspect the Tec 5HP motor won't share its dimensions and I don't think you'll be able to use the existing sheaves. For example, a popular 5.5HP Tec snow blower engine uses a stepped crank with a 7/8" OD vs the Pred's 3/4". Can you look on the side of the engine itself and copy the model number and variant you see there? It will be something like LH195SA-xxxxxx. A complete model number on the blower itself would also be helpful.

From that we can probably discern the crank you have and can offer more tips. If you can, show some pics of the crank sheaves in good detail as well.

I'm in the process of gathering parts to repower an LH195SP-67514D equipped 24" Troy Bilt with a Predator (Rato) 212 including new pulleys, mounting bolts etc. Just waiting for stuff to arrive at my front door to get stuff done.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dual shaft?.
Nevermind. In another thread I just read you got the first pulley removed, but not the back one. Those pullers you picked up with the engine outta help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If my research is correct you have the HSSK50-67338R engine on that. Further, if that engine has the 34740 crankshaft you may be in luck:

0.750" straight shaft and 2.375" length. The Pred may well just drop right in.

Score!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Began this morning, pulley is 80-90%off. **** harbor freight tools, the little knob in the middle of the pulley for the crank is to big and won't allow the pulley to go passed. Otherwise looks very cut and dry here. 4 top mounted bolts and working on the chute which I will probably just relocate lower and fill the old hole with a nut/bolt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well motor is in, pulleys were a biotch!!
Haven't fired her up yet, gonna grab oil, gas and new belts first!
For the chute mod, I took a half loop hook and drilled through the bars and set with a 3/8 but and washer. The other half of the loop I drilled a hole and set into the bars as well so it's a closed loop! Very easy and solid mod! Pics for now and more later!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The auger belt kept slipping I wound up getting a 3/4 washer and replacing one of the smaller ones to extend the pulley position. Blower runs mint! Thank you for all the help and I hope anyone who may need help finds this thread.
Predator started one pull, no primer, I couldn't believe it, sounds excellent and has some serious throwing power.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I used some impact U joints and JB weld to change my chute crank angle. It works but I am going to remodfy it for next winter.

Install a impeller kit and you will wonder how you did with out the Predator engine sooner.

:D Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts