Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just cleaned the carb so its not that...everytime i try and run it, it starts up on choke but before u can even get to choke and throttle it backfires and white smoke out of muffler..i figured the float bowl could be stuck but it doesnt stay running on choke either...im wondering if the muffler is all clogged up...any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
so i just cleaned the carb so its not that...everytime i try and run it, it starts up on choke but before u can even get to choke and throttle it backfires and white smoke out of muffler..i figured the float bowl could be stuck but it doesnt stay running on choke either...im wondering if the muffler is all clogged up...any ideas?

How did you clean the carb? i.e., spray can carb cleaner, ultrasonic
cleaner? You'd be amazed how well an ultrasonic cleaner works.

Did you use a new gasket? New carbs are cheap. Just bought one
for a Tecumseh HSK70 for $20.39 shipped. Runs great now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Make sure your adjustment screws are set right also, the one at bottom of float bowl is 1 and 1/2 (+/-) from seated and the idle screw on the side is about 1 turn from seated(+/-). Even with this done i had to change my carb since i had an idle circuit clogged inside of it.(didnt thruly clean my carb).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill check compression...it fires up but dies immediatly with a backfire/poof of white smoke....hopefully i can get it running right..if not ill go to a good old 6.5 predator job

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hmm either a carb or a timing issue. As for where to get the carbs? I've gotten a few from off of E-Bay and have had great luck with them so far. Knock on wood. Just get one that has the main jet adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl, as well as low speed idle jet screw/mixture screw, and screw for slow speed idle speed.

HMSK80 Carb | eBay

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i got it running...it runs only with choke on...the float needle has got to be stuck..but im happy its running....now i have a starting point to work from...

·
Registered
49 Posts
is your carb the adjustable kind? May need to play with the settings.
Especially on the nonadjustable ones, one of the small bleed holes within may have a piece of dirt in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts