Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '05 Tecumseh LH318SA in my Ariens 8526 that I believe could run better. For as long as I can remember, maybe even since new (I bought the blower new) the engine has a fairly consistent pop/popping at full throttle. Not a backfire, but happens say every five seconds or so. It almost reminds of a lean condition at idle. But when I move the throttle from idle to full, it stumbles for a second blows out some black smoke, then clears out. So it's clearly running rich or loading up a little at idle.

It has always started on the first or second pull, and runs well. But I'd like to get this taken care of (even though it's not a problem to me) before I sell it to a co-worker, so they don't think there's a problem with it.

Looking at the link on the forum, it appears to have a series 1 emission carb.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Those carbs are very easy to remove and do a quick cleaning
does it have a screw on the bottom of the bowl with a spring if so you can tune the carb by turning that
plenty of vids online of tuning that carb as well as cleaning it
2005 i think has the epa carb with no adjustment
you can pull out just the center bowl nut and make sure the tiny holes are clear
and the same on the fixed jet cap screw
again google it you will see the vids
50/50 chance that fixes it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't removed it yet, because I'd like to have a rebuild/gasket kit in my hand before I do.

I did watch a few videos, but none really applied to what I'm experiencing.

No adjustment on the bottom of the bowl, but I did mess with the idle/fixed screw and it made no difference since the engine idles fine when warmed up.

Can the carb be updated to an adjustable bowl?

What is stumping me is that it's seems like it's slightly lean at full throttle, but loading up slightly at idle regardless of ambient temp.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, but I didn't get a chance to mess with it. My co-worker came and picked it up a couple nights ago. He recently bought a house and was tired of shoveling. So he wanted it sooner than later. Not sure if it'll matter with the weather we've been having in CT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts