Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Got a call from the parents that their snowblower wasn't working well. SO, I went up there last night with a new carb kit and got to work. When I took apart the carb, there was NO welch plug in the bowl. Is this normal?

JD 832
Tecumseh 8hp
Carb 1432

Thank you for any help!!!!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Good morning. It is unusual, but not unheard of for no welch plug over the primer port. The carb will work fine without it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sometimes when they sit for a long time period the gas goes stale, gets water in it, and then rusts things inside. I see the Welch plugs swell up with rust and fall out all the time. The kits usually come with new ones.... just lightly tap it in once you know everything is cleaned up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grunt and Badcat. I put one in because it was in the kit, and I have never seen one with out it. Still can't get the darn thing to run right. Tried adjusting it over the course of two hours. Even removed the carb a few times and adjusted the float to be sure. Even changed the float. Just runs rough, backfires, gets red hot muffler....I finally gave up for another day. I am thinking maybe the exhaust valve is not right......but before I go that deep, the carb is going to get a full take down and soak in cleaner overnight.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks Grunt and Badcat. I put one in because it was in the kit, and I have never seen one with out it. Still can't get the darn thing to run right. Tried adjusting it over the course of two hours. Even removed the carb a few times and adjusted the float to be sure. Even changed the float. Just runs rough, backfires, gets red hot muffler....I finally gave up for another day. I am thinking maybe the exhaust valve is not right......but before I go that deep, the carb is going to get a full take down and soak in cleaner overnight.
Red hot muffler could indicate leaking exhaust valve. That will mess up compression, run ratty, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red hot muffler could indicate leaking exhaust valve. That will mess up compression, run ratty, etc.
That is my thought too Skut, but hoping it isn't. Going to try to soak it tonight in some pine sol cleaner. Tomorrow put back together and hope.....but if not....after this storm.....valve job :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts