Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a JCPenney snowblower that needs a new engine.

The old engine is a HM100 159114L 10hp. Can it be replaced by any Tecumseh HM100 10hp engine? Will the pulleys mount on correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
he is referring to shaft size but i don't think that should be an issue for you. generally 8hp and up have a 1" output shaft and the 7hp and smaller usually have a 3/4" output shaft but if you are replacing a 10hp machine with another you are most likely fine and won't need an adapter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Diameter

Most hm100 are 1 inch
i just used a 3/4 to 1 inch adapter for an hmsk100

went right on the 3/4 crank had to remove a lil material on a drill press with some Emory cloth to fit in the 1 inch cleaned Ariens sheave was to tight

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would say yes
Looks like its close to the same setup i got my 10 hp from to put on my st824
you need to see what size shaft it has ill guess its 3/4 inch take that pulley off and check it 15 min job

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
MTD used a lot of 7/8 inch pulleys and some stepped cranks.....seen some big block's with 3/4 ..Toro's and Ariens I've found to be 1 ". No big deal..adapt or replace pulleys whatever the size shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate to bother you again, but I figured that guys on a snowblower forum probably wouldn`t be busy today...

I ran across a new Briggs and Stratton 1150 engine and was wondering if it would work to replace the very dead Tecumseh engine on my snowblower. The old engine was 10hp & this one is about 8hp.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's all a question of three variables.....bolt pattern on the mounting base.....shaft diameter, and distance of the shaft from the base.....and of course if you are talking single shaft or twin....any engine can be swapped to any blower...just how much work you are willing to do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually meant to ask if a 8hp engine would power a snowblower effectively that had originally had a 10hp engine. It was my assumption that there must be some criteria for the engine size necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Specifically when replacing a 10hp flat head engine with a 8hp OHV engine would there be any torque and/or RPM issues?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think that might be an ok combination. I got one of those on my 26" machine and it does pretty good so I think it would also do pretty good on a machine that is only 1 inch wider

·
Registered
765 Posts
In general you can run the OHV engines at a higher RPM than the flat head. On the Preditor many here are running them about 200 RPM above the specified high speed. That can help make up for slightly lower Name plate HP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts