Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I picked up a Toro 524 that had been sitting outside for some time but in relatively good condition. I've gone over the machine and got it running well, cleaned it up and it looks like it will be a good machine.

I removed the recoil starter to clean and lubricate it and it seems to be working well when it's not on the machine. When I use it to start the engine, the clutch that catches on the flywheel cup comes off about 75% of the time. I've never seen this style before and I'm used to seeing the cup that goes over the back side of the recoil pulley and has a slot in it for the clutch to pop out of. If I have it off as shown in the pictures, I can push the clutch back and pop it out of position so it detaches from the pulley.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? It looks like the spring is in the right spot based on the small amount of wear where the spring rides on the clutch.

Thanks for your assistance.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
that appears right from what I recall. Is it possible the screw is too tight and is binding when used?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that appears right from what I recall. Is it possible the screw is too tight and is binding when used?
Thanks Paul. I'm assuming you are referring to the center screw? I don't believe it is too tight and everything seems to move freely but I'll check it again to see if anything is binding.

When the rope is pulled, the half washer that is on top of the pulley stays stationary and the clutch arm rides up on the washer pushing it out to the flywheel cup and engage which all seems correct to me. I guess it's possible if the washer didn't have some give that it could pop the clutch arm out of position on it's own. Let me re-check my work and I'll post back with the results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
here is my recoil off of running Toro 724 (just popped it off). 1st pic is no tension on rope, 2nd pic is rope pulled out about an inch. Note that I never put that plastic piece back in the screw hole.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Steering part
Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Circle Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for doing that Paul. I inspected my recoil and it looks the same. The half washer seems to move fairly free with a little resistance which lifts out the clutch arm. I'll pull mine apart anyway and see if I can see anything wrong but from the looks of it, it's the same as yours.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything looks fine to me. Attached is a picture of the screw removed with some of the pieces out. I guess I can try putting it back together again and see what happens unless someone can point out something I got wrong. Will the clutch arm pop out on yours if you push backwards on it?

Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,449 Posts
The biggest problem I ever had with the older Tec starters was the plastic pulley cracking and letting the pawl(s) fall out. Yours looks OK, but the pic is small. The pawl (what I think you are calling the "clutch arm") should not be able to be removed without takiing off the screw and small oval plate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I don't see a crack in it but I can pop it out by pushing it back the other way with my finger. It doesn't come out real easy but it does come out. Maybe the plastic is a little warped?

Yes, "pawl" is probably a better description for it.

Maybe I should look on Ebay for one with the cup over top of the assembly?

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Older post I know but just wanted to give anyone who cares the exciting conclusion to this problem . . . .

I concluded that while the hub was not cracked and didn't appear to have too much wear that the pawl was popping out because there was too much clearance between the round part of the pawl and where it fits in the hub. I used some .006 shim stock and made a sleeve for the hub bending it around the side of the hub to lock it into place.

I'm happy to report that after 20 or 30 starts and runs the pawl has engaged into the flywheel cup every time and has not popped out of the hub.

Short of replacing the recoil assembly, this was the best solution I could come up with and it seems to be effective.

Also attaching a picture of the Toro 524 that this is off of. It cleaned up pretty well considering it was sitting in grass next to a shed for the better part of 15 years. The one auger side was sand blasted and painted and touched up in a few other locations. It all works very well and starts on the first pull every time.

Happy off season fixing and restoring . . . .

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts