Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old ariens snowblower with a tecumseh engine that has points and condenser. I have no spark so I checked the points. They look good. I am replacing the condenser to see if that is the problem. Does anyone know how to remove the magneto? It is under the flywheel. Does it just pull off? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Yes, on those 8HP, it is under the flywheel. Curious, how could you check the points if you did not pull the flywheel? spray some weasel piss (penatrating oil) on the shaft, and use either a screw or slap pulley, usually pops right off.

You may notice that the magnets came off the flywheel .... super glue or epoxy will re-attach them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The magneto is under the flywheel, not sure if it is Honda or Techumseh that had some sort of cover over the magneto, but I believe on all of them it is under the flywheel and held in place with standard machine screws.
You would need to remove the flywheel to view the points, unless you have an interesting engine.
Pix would help.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I would replace the points with a electronic ignition module.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, on those 8HP, it is under the flywheel. Curious, how could you check the points if you did not pull the flywheel? spray some weasel piss (penatrating oil) on the shaft, and use either a screw or slap pulley, usually pops right off.

You may notice that the magnets came off the flywheel .... super glue or epoxy will re-attach them.
I had the flywheel off. The points look good and I will try a new condenser when it comes in. What I want to know is how the magneto comes off? Does it just slide of the metal piece in the middle of the magneto?

·
Registered
658 Posts
The coil w/ plug wire part of the magneto you are referring to comes off by removing a couple of screws. They are the same screws that allow you to rotate the plate to set point timing.

White Jaw Organism Art Font

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
@JLaw,

Unfortunately, that system does not have an electronic ignition setup .... would be nice, as I would have converted mine. Let me know if you ever come across one for those 8HP Tech.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The coil w/ plug wire part of the magneto you are referring to comes off by removing a couple of screws. They are the same screws that allow you to rotate the plate to set point timing.

View attachment 180737
I should probably mark the position of that plate before I remove the screws so I do not screw up the timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will need to set the timing on the Tecumseh engine if you monkey with the points you can't just remove and reinstall the points. That is the good part of the old snow king engine making it easy to start in the winter. Also the bad part in that the engine might kick back and jerk the rope out of your hand and maybe pull you across the room.
Dave

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Yeah, unless you have to, I personally would not mess with the timing.

A bummer to go through the process of re-setting it properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts