Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a quick question I'm hoping someone with a proper working, preferably all original HMSK-80 or other variant can help me with as it's not really mentioned in any of the FAQ's or service manuals.

When your engine is off and the throttle is all the way up does the carb open 100%? As in butterfly wide open, can't open anymore.

Or, does it open most of the way, 80-90%?

When I got my machine the engine was in pieces and so far I've replaced the throttle control, both linkages and adjusted the governor as per the manual. I don't believe the governor can pin the butterfly wide open, just most of the way. If I adjust it so it can, it can't close it enough to idle.

My guess was the governor should be able to move the butterfly it's entire travel but it doesn't seem mechanically possible as the governor doesn't travel far enough.. It's tough being I had nothing to compare this to before putting it all back together.

Engine runs great (Ok, for a Tecumseh), works great it just this has been bothering me and I'd like someone to confirm it's proper. You never know what's "normal" with a Tecumseh. :smiley-confused009:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you run through the governor adjustment Chris?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSwSIA8qgR8
Yep.
The governor arm wasn't even on the engine when I got it.

But like I said, the governor arm it self literally doesn't seem to have enough travel to go from wide open to completely shut. I can have wide open, but won't idle low enough, or idles fine but won't open 100%.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
guess I have never paid that close attention - maybe they don't go fully open? Not sure off the top of my head - but I would have thought it should also. Somebody will chime in I'm sure

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guess I have never paid that close attention - maybe they don't go fully open? Not sure off the top of my head - but I would have thought it should also. Somebody will chime in I'm sure
Yeah.
I'm not sure if this falls under "something's not quite right" or "Tecumseh" There's a fine line between those two. Or, not. :)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hello Chris, I just pulled the heater box on my HM-80 motor to check the throttle for you. With the throttle set to fast, the throttle plate is wide open and actually takes a little finger pressure to move it towards the idle stop.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Chris, I just pulled the heater box on my HM-80 motor to check the throttle for you. With the throttle set to fast, the throttle plate is wide open and actually takes a little finger pressure to move it towards the idle stop.
Hi Grunt,
Thanks for taking the time to do that for me.

So when your throttle is all the way up, the throttle plate is against it's wide open stop? You can't open it more with your finger?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hi Chris. The throttle is held wide open against the stop and is under some pressure in this position.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's how I have mine setup.

As you can see, I've got a lot of new parts on there, all genuine Tecumseh.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Hi Chris. Back out to the garage and back. Your carb linkage is in the correct hole on the throttle plate, but my governor linkage is in the top hole of the bell crank and yours is in the second hole down. Make a difference, I don't know? Here are pictures of the bell crank with throttle open and closed. Also picture of my governor arm with throttle open and closed. I hope this helps. I just noticed that the high speed set screw (on bell crank) on mine is screwed in a little further than yours and I set it so the engines high speed RPM's are at 3550.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Chris. Back out to the garage and back. Your carb linkage is in the correct hole on the throttle plate, but my governor linkage is in the top hole of the bell crank and yours is in the second hole down. Make a difference, I don't know? Here are pictures of the bell crank with throttle open and closed. Also picture of my governor arm with throttle open and closed. I hope this helps. I just noticed that the high speed set screw (on bell crank) on mine is screwed in a little further than yours and I set it so the engines high speed RPM's are at 3550.

Wow,
Your machine, at least from those pictures looks amazing for it's age. What shape is the rest of the blower in?

I set mine to 3500 using a treysit sirometer.
When I pull the machine out to work on it I'll probably try messing with the governor again. Maybe I simply need to tweak the lever a little more. I just recall having issues with it not idling when I tried to get more out of it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The screw hole in the plate itself is slightly off center. Did you replace the plate?
The entire carburetor is a new Tecumseh.
Throttle control is also new Tecumseh.

Governor and it's arm are original but the two linkages are new.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Wow,
Your machine, at least from those pictures looks amazing for it's age. What shape is the rest of the blower in?
Thanks Chris. The machine was purchased and used for a few years then stored in Wisconsin before being brought here (Illinois) by a neighbor. I paid $60 for it four years ago because he didn't want to deal with a broken fuel line, primer hose and dirty carb. Yep, I got a great deal on a well kept machine. I guess this is MY once in a life time small engine purchase.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow,

I set mine to 3500 using a treysit sirometer.
When I pull the machine out to work on it I'll probably try messing with the governor again. Maybe I simply need to tweak the lever a little more. I just recall having issues with it not idling when I tried to get more out of it.
Did you adjust the idle screw to force the throttle plate to open up a bit with the throttle set at idle? Should idle at about 1750 RMP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you adjust the idle screw to force the throttle plate to open up a bit with the throttle set at idle? Should idle at about 1750 RMP.
Sorry for not wording that very clear.
The engine runs, it just won't idle because the throttle plate can't close enough.

I'm going to mess around with it this weekend. Perhaps I was just being too sloppy with my adjustment. All of this was going on when I was still fighting with the carburetor and valve lash.

Now with a clear mind, and knowing it's a solid good running engine I can go and try to fine tune things and work out the smaller quirks.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think with some fiddling around with the linkage you will be ok..... also does that carb have the idle mixture screw on the bottom or is it a fixed jet carb? If it's adjustable you will want to tweak it a bit for the best idle after the engine is good and warm. Sometimes those fixed jet carbs are not good at idling and need a good jet up-sizing. let's see what you can get it to do first

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think with some fiddling around with the linkage you will be ok..... also does that carb have the idle mixture screw on the bottom or is it a fixed jet carb? If it's adjustable you will want to tweak it a bit for the best idle after the engine is good and warm. Sometimes those fixed jet carbs are not good at idling and need a good jet up-sizing. let's see what you can get it to do first
Engine originally had a fixed jet carb.

I replaced it with a new Tecumseh older style that has adjustable idle and main jets. The main reason was I fought with the original for a while and then bought a Chinese one and still had major issues so I gave in and blew something like $80 on the Tecumseh one and wanted an adjustable one. When it still had the problem even when I opened the main jet up some I knew it wasn't a carb issue (valve lash).

All in all it's probably better that I have an adjustable one now, but that's why it happened.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I pulled the cover off and actually, the throttle was opening about 95% with the engine off.

I was able to tweak the governor arm and get it to hold the butterfly against its stop as others had mentioned and it still closes enough to idle so I'm happy.

Only thing I'm a bit confused about is with the heater box off I blew some snow and as hard as I could load it down the throttle only opened 50% or so.

Maybe I wasn't straining the engine as much as I though? Maybe a 6.5HP engine would be enough? This is an Ariens 924108, 24"

Governor speed is set at as close to 3600 as I could get using a Sirometer. I'd say it's no less than 3500 but no more than 3600.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts