Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Nice unit ... In my years, I never paid much mind to the size of a pull cord, and usually used what I had on hand from previous machines, except the special cord for my Husky chainsaw. So, after checking a bit, it seems a general size for a snowblower cord is 5.5 ... LOL, one of my units has what looks like some clothesline.

Article 19: Installing a New Recoil Starter Cord — Jay's Power Equipment (jayspower.com)

I have a roll of this in my cart at Amazon for my next order ....

Automotive tire Font Gas Electric blue Microphone

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I use 5 or 5.5 for the 4 stroke engines. I think even smaller would be ok on these newer ropes.

#3 (3/32" Diameter) and #3-1/2 (7/64" Diameter) rope is used on most trimmers and small 2-cycle engines
#4 (1/8" Diameter) and #4-1/2 (9/64" Diameter) rope is used on most chain saws and larger 2-cycle engines
#4-1/2 (9/64" Diameter), #5 (5/32" Diameter) and #5-1/2 (11/64" Diameter) rope is used on most 4-cycle push mower small engines
#6 (3/16" Diameter) and #7 (7/32" Diameter) rope is used on most larger 4-cycle engines

Reactions: Town and db130

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I use 5 or 5.5 for the 4 stroke engines. I think even smaller would be ok on these newer ropes.

#3 (3/32" Diameter) and #3-1/2 (7/64" Diameter) rope is used on most trimmers and small 2-cycle engines
#4 (1/8" Diameter) and #4-1/2 (9/64" Diameter) rope is used on most chain saws and larger 2-cycle engines
#4-1/2 (9/64" Diameter), #5 (5/32" Diameter) and #5-1/2 (11/64" Diameter) rope is used on most 4-cycle push mower small engines
#6 (3/16" Diameter) and #7 (7/32" Diameter) rope is used on most larger 4-cycle engines
I bought a spool of True Blue #6 by accident which I found to be too large for my lawn mower flips, but it turns out #6 works great on the 196cc and 212cc Loncin-made hemis.

Now, the mowers and everything else get True Blue #4.5.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
I'd like to replace the original pull rope on my 924082. Tec. 8HP. What size rope does it take?
TIA
(Yeh. The tank screws have been tightened down since I took this pic.) 😉
My Tec 318cc OHV 11 HP engine (2003 Craftsman 11/30) takes a 9/64" dia starter cord according to the specs in owner manual. The starter is not meant to have the cord replaced since there is no cutout for cord to pre-tension the spring. Easy to cut a rounded notch though, and also remove some metal where the cord is exposed on inside of housing for better access.

The cord must be fairly thin in order to hold enough in the spool.

Reactions: db130

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice unit ... In my years, I never paid much mind to the size of a pull cord, and usually used what I had on hand from previous machines, except the special cord for my Husky chainsaw. So, after checking a bit, it seems a general size for a snowblower cord is 5.5 ... LOL, one of my units has what looks like some clothesline.

Article 19: Installing a New Recoil Starter Cord — Jay's Power Equipment

Article 19: Installing a New Recoil Starter Cord — Jay's Power Equipment (jayspower.com)

I have a roll of this in my cart at Amazon for my next order ....

View attachment 203418

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts