Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all
Since all the pros gather here, I'm kind of curious how many have had the famous Tecumseh rod through the block dilemma and did you fix it or just do a re-power? I myself have had maybe 8 over a lot of years and have repaired all except 1 that was too badly damaged to allow for a repair. If you fixed them, how did you do it?

Snoman110

·
Registered
939 Posts

never repaired one and definltely won't now with good running Predator's available for only $99

it changes the entire demeanor of the machine

with some elbow grease, paint, a couple of belts, this engine and an impeller kit, a 70's or 80's rusted hulk can be transformed into a better machine than it was new off the showroom floor.

my .02

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Just did one on the Searsasaurus last January. I had just started it and idling it at the time when it went. Had plenty of oil so it was just one of those things apparently. This is the first one for me, though I've bought a couple of holed blocks in the past for parts.
I found another cheap blower with a 10 HP TEC on it. I did have to make a crankshaft extension to fit the length I needed but the rest was just refurbing it . I've since found another 10 HP TEC that's exactly right that I'm going through right now. This one is a match to the original one so I'm thinking about changing it out again later on.

I looked at using a clone I have on the shelf but had too many interference issues at the time. I'm still thinking about using that one on another frame I have in the garage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TDIPAUL
Does the Predator engines also supply engines with the auxiliary cam shaft drive for the little Ariens?
Snoman110

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
TDIPAUL
Does the Predator engines also supply engines with the auxiliary cam shaft drive for the little Ariens?
Snoman110

Not that I've seen. Single crankshaft only. Now there is a Youtube I saw quite some time ago where someone with access to a machine shop modified one to have a aux shaft but that's the only one I've ever seen.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you've got a schematic or nomenclature for the blown Tecumseh Engine and Part Numbers, and if it was a popular engine, I'd consider disassembling it and selling the parts on eBay . . . . "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole".

You wouldn't have to sell many before you'd recovered the cost of the replacement engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just did one on the Searsasaurus last January. I had just started it and idling it at the time when it went. Had plenty of oil so it was just one of those things apparently. This is the first one for me, though I've bought a couple of holed blocks in the past for parts.
Do you know the history of that engine? If it was ever oversped, run low on oil or simply used the wrong oil, molten aluminum from the rod will start to weld itself onto the crank journal. Once this happens, it only gets worse even if the original cause is addressed. I've taken apart a H60 that hadn't blown but I was expecting it to. The crank had a rough aluminum finish, and the oil hole on the rod was almost blocked off.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Good morning all
Since all the pros gather here, I'm kind of curious how many have had the famous Tecumseh rod through the block dilemma and did you fix it or just do a re-power? I myself have had maybe 8 over a lot of years and have repaired all except 1 that was too badly damaged to allow for a repair. If you fixed them, how did you do it?

Snoman110
Snoman.. Tecumseh is the Indian word for "Throws a rod". :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Turmlos

It's my personal blower (The Searsasaurus) I've had for maybe 5-10 years. It's babied in that I give it a good going over in the fall, check the oil religiously and will start it and give it a minute or so to warm up prior to hitting the snow. I've had the chassis fully apart before and been into the top end of the engine too.

Thing is, it's a 40 year old engine so eventually something will fail regardless of what you do IMO. When it failed, it was just over idle and had run maybe a minute or two while I was moving the van. Just heard a bang and saw a puff of the magic smoke escaping.
I'm not hearbroken, I found a replacement (engine that is) in a week or so and now I even have another with the light stator on it just like the one that broke. Been through that one, now I just need to put it on to get the light back.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I got 2 free machines w/ blown tecs last year; an Ariens and a Toro.

The Ariens needed a new block due to a cracked cam "bearing". Additionally painful b/c it was a dual-output motor and the cam was cracked in half.

On the Toro, I was able patch-up one with a new piston/rod/rings. Today, it runs like nobody's business!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've done an 8 hp just to do it.......only cost was rod and gaskets.....I've got a 10 that I will do as the rod didn't escape the block...just a crack.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I haven't had it happen to me but I've picked up a couple that way. Considering how many Tecumseh engines are out there and how few blow rods for their age it's pretty amazing. Especially when you consider how they've been maintained. Most engines I've acquired have mud in them like they've rarely been changed and I have to admit that until recently I sure didn't take very good care of my lawn and garden stuff. Back then it was just easier to replace. Yup, I was bad :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Classiccat
How did you repair the block? I always used fibre glass and have never had one fail....(touch wood).
Snoman110

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cranman
Never used JB Weld but with the holes I repaired, I needed sheets of support. I will try and upload pictures of the last one I did.
Snoman110

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Classiccat
How did you repair the block? I always used fibre glass and have never had one fail....(touch wood).
Snoman110
I riveted a patch to the interior.

Between the patch and block material was JBWELD stick.

Externally I applied regular 2-part JB weld.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts