Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Techumsa Snow King Starter stopped engaging the flywheel. The Bendix and gears spun, but the teeth did not engage the flywheel.

I assumed they were teeth missing from my flywheel. While I discovered some flywheel teeth mildly damaged, the issue appeared to be in the starter motor mount. The mount was worn significantly from the engine vibration.
I'm also suspicious of the of the old starter Bendix had too much side to side play, possibly causing the gears to not fully engage the flywheel but rather bounce off the ring gear.

Because the flywheel is no longer manufactured, I had to order a used one on eBay. At the same time, ordered a new starter.

Upon installation of the new starter I observed the upper mount bolts that go through the pronged/forked mounts did not fully press against the upper mounts. I even had to add a lock washer to the bottom mounts to get it to press against the engine block tightly. While I'm fairly certain the bottom bolts should be mounted securely to the mount and against the block, I'm speculating the upper mounts are designed to flex a little bit for proper engagement of the flywheel teeth.

Question
Can anyone confirm whether or not the upper mount on a techumsa snow King starter is supposed to have a bit of play or flex?

Associated parts numbers and tips discovered along the way:

Tecumseh 10.5 hp SnowKing engine model: Lh358sa 159628A

Tecumseh 10hp flywheel # 611093
No longer manufactured. Must find a used one. I soaked the rusted used one in a solution of vinegar and salt for about 10 hrs and then went at it with a tooth brush and wire brush. Afterwords neutralized the flywheel in a solution of baking soda and water.

Flywheel puller: 670314 (5/8 in x by 18 thread pitch). The puller tool description on several websites spec it as 20 pitch, but I sized it at the hardware store and confirmed it actually is 5/8 x 18.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
NO play in any that I have seen.

·
Retired Moderator
4,190 Posts
Most times the top bolts are shoulder bolts and the starter just slides into them. They do end up being kind of loose because of the design. It was most likely designed that way for easier assembly/service since the top bolts end up being hard to get to without removing the fuel tank. Your idea of taking it apart and adding washers for a tighter fit is a good one. The design leads to failures as they wear as you have noticed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most times the top bolts are shoulder bolts and the starter just slides into them. They do end up being kind of loose because of the design. It was most likely designed that way for easier assembly/service since the top bolts end up being hard to get to without removing the fuel tank. Your idea of taking it apart and adding washers for a tighter fit is a good one. The design leads to failures as they wear as you have noticed.
Thanks for your reply Shryp! I appreciate your explanation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts