Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm entertaining grabbing a snowbird offered for nominal $. never had heard of the brand. did some quick research. told the model is a 266 (might mean 263). very primitive, heavy looking things. looks like eat could eat Ariens and crap out Hondas! sample image (not the one):

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
If you have the room and time, GO FOR IT! It's still a good machine. Try to keep it as original as possible. Should do well on the EOD.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more research may indicate reverse, neutral, forward. so 1 speed each way. how do these things operate? 26" bucket.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about maintenance, parts availability, durability of engine (looks like the steel is from a battleship!)?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the lower half of the interior bucket looks solid rust. can't tell if it is heavy surface or not.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
more research may indicate reverse, neutral, forward. so 1 speed each way. how do these things operate? 26" bucket.
Push lever forward to go forward and you have to hold it in reverse to go in reverse.
About the only safety feature on it, so you don't run yourself over.
Put it in forward it keeps going if you let go.
Neutral is just that neutral.
The black knob gets pushed down and puts the chain in motion.
The picture you show came off of here, Snowbird Snowblowers
Scotts a member here it is his site.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hand warmers? so, 1 speed (walking speed). reverse has to be kept engaged. no clutch or anything, just move it from forward to neutral? looks like the entire shoot pivots left to right? three other handles: black knob, rear center handle, and right handlebar small shifter? chain drive on the right. pull cord towards the front. the owner says it starts and runs and moves.

·
Registered
276 Posts
now.. to me.. these things look like lighter weight competition to the gravelys option.. as far as being overbuilt and having the innate abbility to chug along thru the deepest meanest snow packs.. just a gut feeling really lol

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
hand warmers? so, 1 speed (walking speed). reverse has to be kept engaged. no clutch or anything, just move it from forward to neutral? looks like the entire shoot pivots left to right? three other handles: black knob, rear center handle, and right handlebar small shifter? chain drive on the right. pull cord towards the front. the owner says it starts and runs and moves.

View attachment 176999
Hand warmers? lol No
Black knob engages the auger/chain and drive. There is a clutch dog on it.
The center handle rotates the chute, yes it rotates fully left or right.
The right side small handle on the handlebar is the throttle lever.
You have to hold the handle back to reverse.
I have a 4 horse Briggs on mine, 22" bucket. Moves right along blowing snow.
Mine is a 1963 S-226 model, so all the above info pertains to my machine.
But I think most from around the 60's should operate about the same?
You can tell the year of manufacturing by the serial number.
I see parts come up on e bay often but to me most are pricy.
It seems like someone will tear them apart then sell by the piece.
I don't really watch the auctions on them so I don't know how they sell.
I saw one for 50 bucks out by Pittsburgh, looked complete, an old lady was selling it.
Parts? If you check for them on the marketplace you may find the same models in your area.
Take what you need and piece sell the rest?
Where about are you?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haven't looked deep yet, but are there digital copies of user and repair manuals plus parts lists for first gen. snowbirds?
have to jump on youtube for video demos.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
haven't looked deep yet, but are there digital copies of user and repair manuals plus parts lists for first gen. snowbirds?
have to jump on youtube for video demos.
I bought a hardcopy I found on ebay.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
can you scan it for me?? just kidding. might be able to find it downloadable somewhere online. btw, i'm in MA.

This looks like it is for the 263, not a bad price at all.
I don't think he should have listed it as a Yardman, looks like it is for a Snowbird 263 model, Yardman's came out later.
Not big but shows you all the parts, and has some adjusting info.
This is what I have for mine.

Reactions: rwh963

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This looks like it is for the 263, not a bad price at all.
I don't think he should have listed it as a Yardman, looks like it is for a Snowbird 263 model, Yardman's came out later.
Not big but shows you all the parts, and has some adjusting info.
This is what I have for mine.
thx for that. i ordered it. cheap enough. haven't heard back yet about the blower.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Delete this post please

1 - 20 of 59 Posts