Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a 7020-1 Yardman Snowbird. It was a tank. My wife took a video when we had 2 feet plus. The barrel roll when you move the snow shoot was something I never got tired of. I was a tank.

The Ariens I have now, (921036) is more sophisticated with auto-turn, hand warmers. It is also much easier to handle. But the bucket on the Snowbird had to be twice as thick.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, first set of problems: got it running briefly, but died. Needed a rest in between to restart, but doesn’t keep running, sputters out. I need someone who understands the fuel system on both sides if the machine. Here are several fuel system pics :

730C274C-601E-4A1F-88D6-6B49D8EF5E0B.jpeg
F85E1A7A-08CD-4143-9457-8EBC705A8A1B.jpeg

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, Snowbird threw me a curve ball. As I was pulling the recoil rope, it broke! I took off the radiator cover, but it looks like I have to did deeper to get to the flywheel. Has anyone done this job

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Is that all grit in the fuel filter? 1 problem.
I never worked on that carb. Mine is different, I would clean the whole fuel system carb and all.
I think you have to take off that whole cover for the rope. Is there screws missing on that rope cover?
Did you get the manual?
It should have the parts diagram?

EDIT,
Did you check the oil for water or gasoline content.
Sniff for gas. Look for water?
Is that chute chain dragging on the cover?

EDIT AGAIN,
It looks like there is an adjustment on the chute shaft to move the chain shaft some?
But yours might be all you can go, maybe it needs a new chain?
Maybe there is 1 more hole for the adjustment that I can't see in the picture.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
reply:

tank side:

there is sediment, but the fuel is clear. i'm afraid to drop the glass bowl. it is held up by a bracket, and there is probably an irreplaceable gasket above the bowl. maybe just an o-ring, but i don't yet know. is there a source for the glass bowl, probably not.

not sure what the turn thumb screw is on the left side. does it need to be all the way in? not sure.
then the fuel plows through the hard line to the choke side. there is an original rubber hose from the back of the choke pipe into what i presume is the carburetor buried inside the engine zone. maybe a breather hose?

choke side:

not sure yet what the adjustable screws will do. don't know what the tall aluminum like cylinder is. there is a thumb screw at the lower part of the orange fuel bowl.

flywheel cover:

those holes surround the cover are just there, nothing behind them. i think i have to disconnect the chain rod frame, them unbolt the whole metal shroud that holds the recoil (not individually removable). then work from behind to reach the recoil. kind of bad design given the probable need to replace the rope every now and then, though i believe it is the original rope in this case.

the chute chain is good, just looks funny. is that a shear pin in the road?

i also don't see any shear pin holes in the auger. i don't know where the gear box is (not in the front like modern).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i do have the owners operating and parts manual. it is a photocopy. for the engine, in the pars diagram it is simply called "engine". on the back page is mentioned for engine to refer to the B&S engine manual for maintenance. maybe i can find that.

there are some fuel leaks at low points. might be seepage from where old bolts are entering gas holding metal. all sealants/gaskets are from 1963. the PO said he worked on the points; i'm not sure were they are located yet.

i am missing one of the front steel wheel assemblies.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You can buy the fuel bowls assemblies. I didn't search hard for just a bowl. https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat...ocphy=9003530&hvtargid=pla-320869217501&psc=1
O rings you can buy, gaskets you can make.
The cylindrical thing is part of the air cleaner system, mine has a different one.
You don't really need it but the cover your missing would make it look better..
Shear bolts are located on the wheel as the chain drives the auger.
Missing wheel? On the bucket? They (at least mine) come with a special piece to attach it to the bucket. If you have the one and take it off you will see.
Some just put on roller skids instead.
Don't know about the carb, I thought maybe someone else would.
The screws got to be for adjusting.
That piece with the thumbscrew, I have no ideal, maybe to drain the carb?
Hard fuel hoses I would replace.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I searched but couldn't find your engine manual to look at it, I don't have the time right now.
Put a link in so others don't have to search?
Did you find an online manual for the rest of it? Put a link in for that too?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Found this while searching around, it might help you with the belts.
Yours is different from mine.
Why didn't you get a 226 model? :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You see in the video you posted that he put a new fuel bowl on.
The updraft carb can be found too, if you want to try a new one.
I don't think this is yours but to give you an ideal.

There are others that are a bit more expensive, I bought a cheap carb (around 13 bucks I think it was) and still working great after 2 years.

Got to run now, I will look later, try to post some links for me if you can.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You can buy the fuel bowls assemblies. I didn't search hard for just a bowl. https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Strat...ocphy=9003530&hvtargid=pla-320869217501&psc=1
O rings you can buy, gaskets you can make.
The cylindrical thing is part of the air cleaner system, mine has a different one.
You don't really need it but the cover your missing would make it look better..
Shear bolts are located on the wheel as the chain drives the auger.
Missing wheel? On the bucket? They (at least mine) come with a special piece to attach it to the bucket. If you have the one and take it off you will see.
Some just put on roller skids instead.
Don't know about the carb, I thought maybe someone else would.
The screws got to be for adjusting.
That piece with the thumbscrew, I have no ideal, maybe to drain the carb?
Hard fuel hoses I would replace.
brief reply:

-so, the auger and impeller do not have shears, just the wheels

-yes, missing one bucket roller wheel assembly. i just joined the Facebook snowbird site. once i'm approved, i've noticed members getting rid of their blowers. gonna reach out and request needed or back up parts.

-the air cleaner tower: i don't think it was equipped with the cover and oiled filter because it was put on a blower. snow blowers don't have air filters (i believe the predator 212s do because they are used in other applications and doesn't have the cover box like this has.

- hose: that soft hose is actually connected to the air cleaners not a fuel line.

- that thumb screw must be a drain port for the carb bowl

- i looked of the engine on "jacks small engines" site. saw the fuel filter assembly like the amazon one. probably a best buy since it would have all the parts included.

- trying to figure out the best way to oil the auger drive chain. don't want to pull the cover, doesn't look simple.

- i guess the gear box is in the rear. just drain and re-fill not sure what lube it requires yet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You see in the video you posted that he put a new fuel bowl on.
The updraft carb can be found too, if you want to try a new one.
I don't think this is yours but to give you an ideal.

There are others that are a bit more expensive, I bought a cheap carb (around 13 bucks I think it was) and still working great after 2 years.

Got to run now, I will look later, try to post some links for me if you can.
engine pdf link:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
engine pdf link:
Well you see where the points are now? Most of the time they are under the flywheel. Do them after you fix the rope.
See the note about the threads on the flywheel nut. Right hand thread.
The gearbox? On the auger shaft? In the middle?

Did you find an online manual for the machine?
My hard copy manual of my 226 shows ALL the parts in a diagram, (except the engine) not sure what you have a copy of?
It does not explain how to work on it just the adjustments, but shows you all the parts with their part numbers.

Also see the note about the engine stop, I don't have one of those either. Looks like if it vibrates over to the plug it may turn off the engine.
There are a lot of things that are different with yours compared to mine.

Mine has an air filter, but different then yours. Mine has a foam filter that your suppose to soak in oil.
Look for a cover, even if you don't use the filter part a cover will keep out the elements.
I use mine with a dry filter, for the reason.

Mine,

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
i think yours is a lot different. 226 you said? mine has the box cover over the air cleaner and car, with the muffler end sticking out. so i don't think an an air cover would even fit under the box cover.

no gear box in the bucket, i believe it is in the rear since the auger is direct chain driven (unlike my 2005 Ariens which the auger has a center gear box).

i do have a photocopy of the users guide. some of it dedicated to assembly instructions.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have a cover for mine, yours looks taller it should cover the filter top?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
the box seems significantly different than mine. my muffler sticks straight out, and no access cut out slot. wanna trade?!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts