Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
STUMPED! can't figure out how to remove the front panel that contains the recoil. removed 4 bolts (two on top and two semi-hidden on the lower bottom corners. removed the chute chain. i can move the shroud out a little, but still connected to the engine shaft. there is a welded on brace in front of it. that means i have to tip and lift out. the only bolts i see remaining are going through the metal fan screen. they would be pain to get back in place. no even sure they are the hang up.

wonder if anyone here has done this operation. Ed mentioned the points were behind this area? the PO mentioned he did the points.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
why make it so difficult to access a replacement part like the starter cord. doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
reached out to PO. he said he had to unbolt the engine to remove the front shroud over the welded on stay bracket (why didn't they bolt that on!!!). stupid starter cord from 1963!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
re-cording didn't go well. had to lift the reel. there was a wound coil spring, along with a center ring and spring to deal with. lets just say it didn't go back together as it came apart. might have to outsource this job.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
yeah i did look around. this is an old school style. lost art? this is 1950's stuff. gonna stop by a couple of shops tomorrow to see if they can handle it and/or instruct me.

possibly i did not have to unbolt the reel itself. live and learn.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
excellent! thank for the research. i still search for the machine, not the engine. the top video is most like mine. however, i removed the retaining tabs, releasing the coil spring tension and the center spring set up :( having difficulty resetting all that. gonna remove the cord and keep trying.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
my first expense: $25 to have the recoil rewound. the guy who did it says " i remember snowbirds, we scrapped all of those in the '80's"!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
snowbird has spark and compression, but has a fuel supply issue. starts up cold, then sputters out. subsequent pulls don't really start it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Have you cleaned the tank, carb and sediment bowl?
Checked for sufficient fuel flow to the carb (old gas lines could be partially plugged or deteriorating, may need replacement).
Using fresh fuel?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
the fuel is fresh. the PO said he had it running a week before i got it. there is sediment on the bottom of the filter bowl, but the fuel above looks clean. i don't eat to disassemble that just yet. there is slight fuel leakage at the bottom of the carb unit. everything else is dry. might drain the carb.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
the fuel is fresh. the PO said he had it running a week before i got it. there is sediment on the bottom of the filter bowl, but the fuel above looks clean. i don't eat to disassemble that just yet. there is slight fuel leakage at the bottom of the carb unit. everything else is dry. might drain the carb.
How did it come out? An update?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I would be interested to see the progress as well.

This is my 7000 series YardMan Snowbird, a 7100-2, that my father bought brand new back in the day. These were some of the last quality machines under the YardMan brand when they were still producing quality machines before the company was sold. Its a beast, still runs great ... I used to do driveways for paying customers with this. I still bring it out every season when I have a severe storm. I even wore out the Snow Hog tires over the years, and put on some new XTrac a few years back, and painted the augers black, to give it a new fresh look.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
non-update update: the Bird is still parked under a tarp, next to my dump pick 824. if you all recall, after the Bird, i got a pretty beaten down Ariens 10M. then another 10M, then an Ariens 10k. A lot of work on this (see my threads!).

my go to blower the past two winters has been a hand me down Ariens 932 724 (i believe Oneacer recently worked on one). it starts and runs well, is pretty lightweight, easy to load and unload. since i'm used to it, it will remain the main blower. as for the 10M and 10k, i wanted nice examples of each, and think i got that. get them running well, and hold onto them longer term. they might see some use, but really don't have the space to have an operating fleet of them, so one active and others in longer storage is best.

as for the Bird, i will like to get it started and operating well, but it would probably not see real use due to my needs and its "antiqueness". i'll keep updates active as they happen. probably ask more questions.

also, in general, non-snowblower life has reduced physical and mental energy available for side projects like these. i had more time in the early spring. plus, i'm new to these machines, and don't have the experience to blast through them like some others.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
@rw,

You have some fine equipment, and do nice work.

We all move at our own pace, and many here are retired, like myself, so time is on our side for these projects and restores.... actually more like a hobby to me.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
OK, I was just wondering how it worked out.
Thanks

41 - 59 of 59 Posts