Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove my nephew's Tesla. Crazy, wicked fast and handles like nothing you've ever dreamed of. 4 wheel steer and goes from 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds. Insane fast. Minimalist styling on interior. Tons of features and has like a huge ipad touch screen. This car is amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
There are a few videos of the "insane" mode of programming with that particular model. Crazy fast.

They are certainly innovative, but you will pay for that level of innovation.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a few videos of the "insane" mode of programming with that particular model. Crazy fast.

They are certainly innovative, but you will pay for that level of innovation.
He'll pay. Not me.:)
A month ago it would do 0-60 in 4 sec. Now with the latest update it does it in about 3.5.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Maybe the monthly payment is higher but he doesn't have to pay $500 in gas every month like me and I drive a Cobalt. I'm really looking at getting a Tesla X when they come out. I figured my monthly extra expense for such a beautyful and practical vehicle would be $110 more than what I'm paying now. Did I mention I drive a Cobalt???

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know for sure but knowing him it's probably paid off already. If not it's because of some financial angle. He's a pretty sharp young man and he has done very well in real estate. But back to that car..... The wow factor is off the scale. It's really something else to open the hood and.......another trunk. I wish I'd have taken more pics. That "frunk" is cool. Also, looking under the car it's almost perfectly flat. No trans. No exhaust... Nothing there. The interior is really sparse. They have a reason for everything though. It has all wheel steer that is adjustable. Everything is adjustable. Amazing car.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I think it has a 100,000 price tag. I would never want 1. there stock was pretty good a while back. I do not know what is now. I will still take a 1996 cadillac fleetwood over that anyday.:emoticon-south-park

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Those guys are hard to find !!
I had the next best thing in high school, a 1957 hearse with a mattress in the back. It was great at drive in movies. Pull in backwards and swing open the back door. It was like a van with a really big engine.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
There are a couple of things that I wonder about the overall concept of the car. For instance, the huge touch screen center stack, that is web-enabled, I see being a HUGE temptation for distracted driving. But that does seem to be the direction of manufactures.

Secondly, the jumper seats in the "trunk" are a flash back to the old station wagon era.

And lastly, unless you can charge at Tesla stations only, it will cost you to have a station installed and the then pay for the electricity.

That said, it is a viable product for those interested and can step up to the price point. I even remember a while back reading a story of someone being able to travel across the US, going to from Tesla station to Tesla station. I am sure the amount of prior planning was pretty intensive.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
There's a Tesla APP depicting all Tesla charging stations and other charging stations acceptable. My neighbour has one, he loves it, he has a daily commute of 190 Kms one way. It costing him $160 in electricity. His gas bill with his previous car was over $800 a month. Cadillac CTS I believe it was.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The Tesla Model S is a great car. I am considering buying one. I am looking forward to the Tesla Modell III which will be comming out in July 2016

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are a couple of things that I wonder about the overall concept of the car.

unless you can charge at Tesla stations only, it will cost you to have a station installed and the then pay for the electricity..
No worries on that count. It can be charged from just about any power source. Household receptacle, dryer outlet, welding outlet. 120/220 it doesn't matter. Comes with all the necessary adaptors. He did his homework before pulling the trigger. He charges it at his home and says he hasn't noticed any increase in elec. Bill.
I'm gonna ask him about the huge touchscreen.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a couple of things that I wonder about the overall concept of the car. For instance, the huge touch screen center stack, that is web-enabled, I see being a HUGE temptation for distracted driving. But that does seem to be the direction of manufactures.
He claims it isn't a distraction any more than a radio. He says most of the controls/settings are also voice command or push buttons on the steering wheel. While I was driving he'd say the name of a song and it would play. It remembers the settings for anyone who drove the car and programmed it. (Typed his/her name) This includes all mirror settings, seat position and preferred temp etc. I think I may prefer it to a caddy :icon_whistling:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
He claims it isn't a distraction any more than a radio. He says most of the controls/settings are also voice command or push buttons on the steering wheel. While I was driving he'd say the name of a song and it would play. It remembers the settings for anyone who drove the car and programmed it. (Typed his/her name) This includes all mirror settings, seat position and preferred temp etc. I think I may prefer it to a caddy :icon_whistling:
I suppose if certain functions are prevented while underway, it would not make a difference.

Insofar as the cost to charge, you would have to look at the kW used, over the the actual electric bill. Both may fluctuate, but the kW used would be the most obvious, over the bill as that may change.

Regardless, this sort of innovation makes the other competitors sit up and pay attention. And by all means there definitely appears to be great customer support from the company, to support the owners of their cars.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He had to go to Ohio to buy this car. Tesla has been banned in a few places because of their sales philosophy. It's a little crazy. Personally I'm not so sure I'd buy one but as I said he's a very bright and intuitive young man. He did his homework. No one can tell the future though, and it may prove to be a bad descision but for now he's very happy with it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Battery replacement in a Hybrid GMC Denali is right around $4k. Can't imagine what it must cost to replace batteries in that Tesla. Must be north of $10k ???

1 - 20 of 95 Posts