Snowblower Forum banner

641 - 660 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Since I had the muffler off on my CCR 2500 to see how the piston and cylinder looked (mostly curious, I described this in another post), I thought I should check a few other things. So, the engine is off for a quick cleaning and new recoil rope, the plastic shrouds are all off for a cleaning, the metal side plates are off for a quick paint touch up, and the rotor is off for replacing the paddles. I'm pretty sure that this machine has not had any of this work done before, alot of the nuts and bolts are rusty, so now I have to order up some replacement hardware too.

So much for just removing the muffler to get a quick peak at the cylinder and piston.

Reactions: gibbs296

·
Registered
931 Posts
While we don't quite have snow in the forecast yet, like Orangputeh, I decided to fire up the old 421. It started on second pull after turning fuel valve on (note with 6 month old regular E10 gas and Stabil). I ran it for a minute, shut if off and checked around and all was good. I add more fresh gas and ran for about 20 minutes. This old Tecumseh still runs well, I measured cylinder leak-down at about 25%, which is good on my gage, and I think very good for a 39 year old flat head. I was kind of hoping the motor had somehow broke over the summer, so I could do a re-power, but no luck.

This is the unit that I replaced the impeller bearings, replaced the auger gearbox seals, blasted and painted the auger housing, and had the augers powder coated. I still need paint up some of the engine trim pieces, and also find a free set of better tires than these solid rubber ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
We got around 3 to 4" of slush, so I fired up the CCR2500 and tried out the new paddles. It started on the 3rd pull (I had run it dry) and did pretty well throwing the slop mixed with leaves. I am looking forward to using this on the lesser snowfalls this season.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't do any snow blowing today that's for sure, got maybe 4" of snow and I ended up resorting to the old snow sleigh...

First it refused to start, ended up with me replacing the carburetor, good thing I had a spare one from last season, new and unused. Unfortunately with the new carburetor I had another problem, the motor kept going crazy and revving up really fast, ended up with the drive belt coming loose. So I had to bring it inside again and work on that. I fiddled with the idle and mixture settings without any success until I notice the spring on the throttle is pretty floppy and weak, so I don't think it pulls back at all on the throttle and it just goes crazy. So I need to source a new spring.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No snow here yet but last week i pulled the wheels off and gave the axles a coat of never seize.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This has been on my to-do list since last spring but on my 1984 824 (38080) I am finally getting around to seeing if I can figure out why reverse is not working. I disassembled the drive assembly. The friction plate for reverse is wobbling on the shaft. I am going to see what I can do to eliminate the wobble because the friction plate is not longer sold. Planning to do some cleaning under there while I am at it, and I am going to replace both belts. There's been snow north of here but we've only seen flurries here in western mass. I am thankful for this forum!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No snow here yet so I just started up El Toro because I could, and like the sound of a machine that saves my back.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Dragged out my 621QZE. Did an oil change using half quart of 5w-20 Dino oil, some brand I never heard of but was cheap. Added a little fresh non-oxy, and 1 pull later she was purring away. Gotta like those newer 4 strokes!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Started out with the single stage 621 on this 7 or so inches of this heavy, wet crap and she was struggling. Fired up the old 5\24 and she motored right through it. Impeller mod for the win!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Started out with the single stage 621 on this 7 or so inches of this heavy, wet crap and she was struggling. Fired up the old 5\24 and she motored right through it. Impeller mod for the win!!
kinda surprised the 5hp was enough, especially on a 24" bucket. Old L-head I presume?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
kinda surprised the 5hp was enough, especially on a 24" bucket. Old L-head I presume?
Yes, old school Tech. Could have used a bit more traction, but other than that she saved my butt. Impeller kit I installed last year made a huge difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fixed the jumping shifter on my 824Xl. Checked it over and gave it a quick test run in the inch or so we got last night/today. If all goes well in tomorrow’s 6-10” I will finish up the pre-season service before shipping it off to our rental property and retrieve my Power Max 826 so I can get it ready. Yes, I am a little bit behind schedule...

·
Read Only
871 Posts
mist of a 16 inch snow fall on a 2 year old machine had to fix the broken pull cord . powers out county wide ,house on a standby gennie no power to the garage or tool shed .

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Sold it. Have completed the switch to Ariens. Hopefully I've done the right thing:icon-sadwave:

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
I took my Toro 824 QZE to clear my slushy driveway. Performed like a champ. But, there's always a but, it stalled when it hit the EOD. I had to get out my Ariens 28 hydro pro two stage to do the the job the Toro couldn't.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sold it. Have completed the switch to Ariens. Hopefully I've done the right thing:icon-sadwave:
Hey Joe: Just wondering, did you switch because you prefer Ariens, or just to get on one platform?

Tx

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
Hey Joe: Just wondering, did you switch because you prefer Ariens, or just to get on one platform?

Tx
As I explained to Grunt I feel kind of like I'm on a blind date. I can also say that I was not very impressed with my 724 Sno Tek. It was flimsy, noisy and hard to start This 921001 seems to be on a whole other level. Stay tuned.... :wink2:

Reactions: detdrbuzzard

·
Super Moderator
6,676 Posts
I've done nothing to my toro's, after struggling to clear the snow on veterans day ( the toro ran great but William wasn't working so well ) it looks like i'll have to get my nephew over if it does snow

641 - 660 of 697 Posts