Snowblower Forum banner

661 - 680 of 697 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Over the last two days I have finished the service on the 824XL and have delivered that to the rental property for the tenant to use. Retrieved my Power Max 826 HD from its storage spot at the rental property and brought it back to our new house to be serviced and used here. Power Max started on the first pull. I kind of forgot how cold blooded the OHV Briggs can be, but once it warmed up it performs like a champ. Much nicer to run than the 824XL. The quick stick chute control is awesome and it throws much further than the XL.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
I've done nothing to my toro's, after struggling to clear the snow on veterans day ( the toro ran great but William wasn't working so well ) it looks like i'll have to get my nephew over if it does snow
your not alone there, this old body isn't like it used to be, bad spine, 2 cardiac caths in a month, worn out shoulders and knees , down side of being back in NJ is all the family is 800 miles south . all the kids that used to be willing to clean up after a snow fall here are away at collages ,

what did i do to mine? got the wife to help install a set of cast iron skids to replace the 2nd set of factory stamped steel ones. machine level on a sheet of 3/4 ply, 1/4 inch shim under the sheave, wife saw the rust asking should a almost new machine look like that? nope! what are you going to do? personally after she went back inside and i had the machine back by the tool shed, it got pee'd on by the 2 dogs. " Great Pyrenees not a small amount" so guess they knew how i feel about toro saying no way on help over the rust issue .

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Fired up the 621 single stage to clean up after the couple inches we got yesterday. One pull and she was ready to go. No drama, I like it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Service is almost done on the Power Max 826 HD. Found a few bolts missing. Mostly in the belLy pan and one where the bucket bolts to the traction assembly. Will pick those up tomorrow and finish it up tomorrow night after work.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Dec 17 here and been blowing snow since 1978 this is the first year not having to blow any snow here El Toro is feeling lost and so am I

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finished booting up the back panel and replaced the missing bolt between the bucket and traction assembly’s - that was a treat - NOT! Then I took it out for a test run in the couple of inches we got yesterday/last night. Awesome. The Power Max is good to go.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Thought I won the lottery had 30 cm or 12 in of wet snow at 5:30 am just came in now for a total of 26 in or 65 cm of wet snow and it is snowing heavy wet snow. after 6 hrs with El Toro time for a cool one.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow, 26" of heavy stuff? Yikes. Glad the machine is up to the task! But 6 hours of clearing?? Oof, that's rough, even if you aren't shoveling! How big is your driveway?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I do 3 driveways in total and mine is the worst as snow from house land in drive way when dry no problem but when wet it is like concrete and need shovel to break loos from driveway. usually each one is 45 minutes or so. still snowing should have 12 in by morning again.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I got this old tank running again for a friend. A 1980 model 724. Its pretty clean, especially the auger and housing. The fuel system and carb needed full cleaning and rebuild. But it ran pretty good after. Then changed the oil and spark plug, checked over the rest of the unit, and ran it for about 20 more minutes to make sure all was good.

The carb and governor linkage was a bit confusing to remember, but I had enough pics. Ready for another 40 years.

tx

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Swapped the carb,recoil, and bucket/auger assembly on my 624 Powershift with some spare parts I had sitting around. She ain't perfect yet, but she's ready to blow snow!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Gave El Toro a bit of love today the Chute was not turning correct so took off top plastic piece and gave the cable that releaces the dog that stops it from spinning, a small adjustment so now great again .

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
First time out with my 624 PowerShift. I'm very impressed! Great traction, speeds are very good, throwing distance is awesome. I was going to do a bit more to my 524, but I think that's getting kicked to the curb... It was a Powerlite-Powershift morning!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Awesome, glad it's working well.

Cleared 2" of wet heavy glop last night, and another 1" this morning. The Toro 221 did nicely, churning along. At times, with the water running down the street, it was just a watery mess spraying out of the chute. There's plenty a single-stage can't do. But for the storms under maybe a foot, so far, I really like it.

Yesterday I also installed my 3D-printed mount for attaching a Harbor Freight LED "headlight" on the 221. Not perfect, but it's a helpful start, for better visibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Fired up the Powershift, took care of the 5 inches or so we received overnight. Nice machine, liking it more each use. Forgot about it having the auger handle interlock to the traction lever. Nice to have the right hand free to redirect the chute!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Finally got to use the machines yesterday, we got ~ 5 inches of snow, topped off with some rain It made the snow overall on the heavier side, especially at the EODs. First time with the Predator 212 (non-hemi) engine on the 724. Worked well, though I did clog the chute a few times with slush. Kinda looked like a snow-cone in there. I do not have the impeller kit on this machine, as the impeller gaps are very small already. With the older 7hp Tecumseh, the machine would bog down before clogging. I had done head and valve work on the old flat-head during previous off-seasons, but the overall cylinder leakage just got to be too much. So I finally went with the Predator. I bought the larger jets (32 and 34) but did not try them yet. The OEM jet seemed fine, maybe stumbled a few times. I think I'll try one size larger next time. I also used the CCR2500 on some real slushy stuff and it did well.

I just realized I don't have final pics with the predator engine, these don't show the chute rod connection. Like most, I just spaced out the OEM bracket on the handle for now, and will work on a more elegant solution off-season.

tx

Attachments

Reactions: gibbs296

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Fired up the CCR2000 and got rid of the 5 or 6 inches of snow we received this morning. She surges a bit. I will have to do a better job of cleaning the carb. Thanks to Vinnycom's video that shouldn't be a problem! Like the machine a lot! It seems to be much more solid than the newer style Toro single stages I have/had. I think she is a keeper!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Gibbs: I agree on these CCR machines. None of the single stage machines are 2-stage robust, but the older Toro units do seem better built than many, especially the home center units. And I am starting to really like to use them on alot of our snows.

Yesterday I pulled the CCR2500 out to the front of the garage, and mixed some fresh gas for it in anticipation of some snow finally. Nope, maybe 2 inches total today, just shoveled. Ughh !!

Reactions: gibbs296
661 - 680 of 697 Posts