Snowblower Forum banner
721 - 740 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 726 model 31-760
29 Posts
On my Toro 726 31-760 (49 years of loyal services).
Today:
Repaired broken starter cord (shortened by 3" and re-installed) and lubricated recoil assembly.
Replaced impeller/auger drive v-belt (part 26-9670, dimensions are 1/2" x 101,6 cm).
Machine keeps ticking, like a Timex.

·
Super Moderator
6,758 Posts
well none of the toro's i use need any repairs, with my foot still messed up i can't stand long enough to put the 12hp motor on the 624 frame, and we haven't had enough snow to blow even with a single stage so my toro's are just waiting for something to do

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
well none of the toro's i use need any repairs, with my foot still messed up i can't stand long enough to put the 12hp motor on the 624 frame, and we haven't had enough snow to blow even with a single stage so my toro's are just waiting for something to do
wow, 12hp on a 624? that should work well ...

tx

Reactions: detdrbuzzard

·
Registered
Toro 726 model 31-760
29 Posts
On my Toro 726 31-760
Today I checked the compression of the motor using a threaded gauge (Full throttle, no choke):
Dry: first cord pull 54 lbs
after 6 cord pulls 70 lbs
with 4cc oil: first cord pull 70 lbs
after 6 cord pulls 85 lbs

Motor is a: Briggs & Stratton 7HP, Model 170402, Type 118501, Code 710 5251

Motor is running well.

I would welcome expert advice on these readings.

·
2,394 Posts
small ope engines have a fly weighted compression release built into the cam shaft exhaust lobe that holds the exhaust valve slightly off the seat by about .030 , when the engine fires up the weights retract the release lever into a grove in the camshaft
your pull reading is normal, if you have a electric starter you will get a full reading as it turns the motor fast enough to make the release retract

·
Registered
502 Posts
Fired up my Toro 421 single stage snowblower engine to make sure it is working before the upcoming storm of 5-9 inches of snow. Thinking about upgrading the new 821 with 250cc engine. I don't need it, but the larger engine is tempting. I always get an urge to upgrade something before the next storm.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On my Toro 726 31-760
Today I checked the compression of the motor using a threaded gauge (Full throttle, no choke):
Dry: first cord pull 54 lbs
after 6 cord pulls 70 lbs
with 4cc oil: first cord pull 70 lbs
after 6 cord pulls 85 lbs

Motor is a: Briggs & Stratton 7HP, Model 170402, Type 118501, Code 710 5251

Motor is running well.

I would welcome expert advice on these readings.
yep, as captchas wrote, your readings appear normal for small engines with compression release. Cylinder leak-down readings are much more informative and repeatable.

tx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I need to add pictures but a lot!

My '73 832 is getting new sneakers and recently I have been trying to tackle a few tune up and odds and ends with it.
My 90's 521 just got another older adjustable style carb ( I HATE the non adjustable/no air fuel screw ones) and a slew of other things like fuel line and shut off completed.

I think I am the only Toro geek that customizes his machines lol...pics to follow!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I found this 1983 two stroke Power Shovel at the curb on garbage day, 15 or 20 years ago. All it needed was fresh gas.

We got 2 or 3 inches of snow overnight, so decided to fire up the little guy for the first time this year (started on 3rd pull).

Below are some short videos I shot for those that have never seen these little screamers in action (even a mini EOD action :) ).

First time posting home made videos, couldn't figure out how to edit 3 into one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nobody throws that out around here. I can't even find one on craigslist. Looks like a fun machine to have around early on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Used the lil Toro 2 stroke to clear the 12-18” we got here in Long Island. With the big piles left by the plow I break them up with a shovel first then the small blower can get rid of it.

PS I was able to find a spare Suzuki 2 stroke engine & electric starter unit on eBay for a great price! Piston looks like new through the exhaust port. Prop will never have to replace mine but like having spares.

·
Registered
Toro 726 model 31-760
29 Posts
small ope engines have a fly weighted compression release built into the cam shaft exhaust lobe that holds the exhaust valve slightly off the seat by about .030 , when the engine fires up the weights retract the release lever into a grove in the camshaft
your pull reading is normal, if you have a electric starter you will get a full reading as it turns the motor fast enough to make the release retract
Following your comment I watched several videos on "compression release mechanism" which I did not know anything about. Very informative, went to bed feeling as an expert. Thanks!

·
Registered
Toro 726 model 31-760
29 Posts
yep, as captchas wrote, your readings appear normal for small engines with compression release. Cylinder leak-down readings are much more informative and repeatable.

tx
I watched videos on the "leak down test" and I went to bed more knowledgeable feeling like an expert! Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Been using the backup 824xl lately.

The throttle shaft was seized on my Power Max HD. Replaced the carb and it ran great but wouldn’t shut off. Apparently, I had unplug the kill wire from the coil in the process. Got that rectified and it wouldn’t answer the throttle. Took it apart for the third time today. Adjusted the Governor and tested it out in some icy stuff from last week‘s storm of the century. All is good now. Ready for 3-6” tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Reactions: detdrbuzzard

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I installed a larger pilot jet on the 724 with Predator 212. Went from stock 015 to 018. I had previously installed a larger main jet. I expect at least 5 more hp now.

tx

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found this 1983 two stroke Power Shovel at the curb on garbage day, 15 or 20 years ago. All it needed was fresh gas.

We got 2 or 3 inches of snow overnight, so decided to fire up the little guy for the first time this year (started on 3rd pull).

Below are some short videos I shot for those that have never seen these little screamers in action (even a mini EOD action :) ).

First time posting home made videos, couldn't figure out how to edit 3 into one.

I would like one of these. Any idea where a person could find one. I have a Toro 726TE and love the heck out of the two stroke.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I would like one of these. Any idea where a person could find one. I have a Toro 726TE and love the heck out of the two stroke.
Toro only made these from 1983-85, so they are pretty rare. I would suggest keeping an eye out for one on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist or posting on this forum that you are looking for one.
They are a cool little machine.

·
2,394 Posts
5 more hp out of a predator 212 with a bigger jet? that isn't going to happen, smoother running yes. than i know your joking about a big jump in hp with out major race parts and machine work. .

took my max apart yesterday split the sections, pulled the auger assembly out and apart, added grease zerks to the auger and impeller bearings , found the bearings were all running dry, the augers rusting to the shaft, what a job cleaning them up to remove the rust, sadly the pits i couldn't get out, reassembled with a heavy coating of marine never seize . did a careful inspection of the belts , the auger bearing when i greased it up, the water that came out of the sections of the shell was unreal

what amazed me was how every bolt snapped clean off when removing the lock nuts, both auger, both impeller and both wheels "again for a 4th time" the holes in the shafts are larger than the item which allows side rock under usage strain which seems to weaken them . the 1/4 bolts rock in a 7mm hole the 5/16 in a very slightly larger 9mm

upside it was good being out of the house for a few hours in the garage away from the other half , making sure the machine is in good shape to handle what's coming down right now, but not seeing that it will need a major trip to the sand blaster come spring , what a rust bucket there's not one part or panel not rusting from under the paint now, even the drip shield under the motor for keeping water off the belts is rusted

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I am wrenching on my old 1132 snowblower(toro), It is running pretty well, but I am confused, because I can't find any good pic of all the linkage on it, I don't know if my linkage are good the way they are or not, I need to get it those pic so I can put the linkage where they really should be at, because my other small ariens 824 deluxe 1974 cought fire the other day, so it is out of the game for now, but I still need something to blow the snow, the 1132 is the only snowblower at my cottage that is able to throw snow right now, the ariens is salvageable, carb is is really good shape, trottle linkage and other thing need to be change, but it is a good machine too

·
Registered
290 Posts
was able to get the last of the spares I wanted for my CCR 3000, the electric starter unit for the Suzuki 2 stroke. Its a forever machine now! Engine, carb, starter, misc hardware etc all spares.

721 - 740 of 745 Posts