Snowblower Forum banner

The Great Thread of Thumbs - what did you do with your Toro today?

136K views 819 replies 92 participants last post by  Jklightner 
#1 ·
I'd like to propose that the mods consider making this as a sticky (I'm obviously at your mercy). I'd like to see sticky thread that engages conversation, every day, and is toro community focused.

What have you done with your toro today? The mundane, the ridiculous, the downright stupid or fun. Post away. Remember safety first, and posting lessons learned is huge for new comers to the toro thread.

I'd love to see Toro become a family, not just a repository for knowledge, I'd like to see it fulfill both purposes equally well.

If your in. Just start! Mods, if your willing to give the sticky,a go so it doesn't get buried, I think any team building effort should be front and Center. And will benefit to constant exposure.

I'll start: to be continued.

#2 ·
1" of Snow

Fired up my 1128 OHXE

Bravely tackled the snow on my driveway

Did I look ridiculous? Yup

Did I feel ridiculous? Yup

Do I care? Nope

The scraper bar did its thing. Cleaned it down to the pavement, it was a slush, ice mix. With so little snow it was still throwing it onto my neighbours driveway. Oops. Gotta fix that ;)

#3 ·
I repainted the inside of the chute on my 826. Hopefully that will make the snow flow through it a bit easier. It throws pretty decent with the impeller kit on there. Next summer I will do a total restore on this machine.

I need new skid shoes since the ones that are on there are shot.

#192 ·
Today I had to use my Toro leaf blower to blow the snow out of the top 1.5 ft of my rose tree which is 6.5 ft high. Was getting worried that it was supporting too much weight. I would have burlap wrapped it if I had any idea we would get walloped like this 4 weeks in a row. :cool:

#8 ·
Sincere thanks Scot!

The thumbs reference is sort of tongue in cheek for the way many of us type on tablets - also, thumbs such as thumbnails (pics) etc. It works on a couple levels. But generally speaking it's a unique title :)

Also, it's trending a little online. Thumbs can also refer to thumbs up or down for your product, experience with a situation or what have you.

And finally, people won't forget the name :) I'm typing right now with my thumbs on my iPad or phone :)

Hope that explanation makes sense.

#6 ·
I used my Toro 51984 gas blower/vac to clean up the yard today. I love this machine. :D

#7 ·
Fixed it.

My 8(5)-24 lost reverse last winter. Thought it was out of adjustment. Tried a couple of times to adjust the shifter and. By the time I got reverse I would start losing forward gears. One of th first things I found on the forum was a Toro service manual. So, I printed the page with the actual adjustment procedure for my machine. Went out to the shop this morning to give it one more shot before I buy a newer machine. Still nothing, run the adjustment way out and I lose forward again but only get notchy reverse. Ok, time to drop the belly pan and stand her on her nose. I forgot that unlike my dad's old 8-26 the smaller machine uses 2 drive discs and one friction wheel. The bolt was missing that holds the reverse drive disc onto the shaft. 76 cents for a 1/4-20x2 bolt and nylon nut and re-adjust the shift linkage and lo and behold - 3 forward gears and 2 more in reverse.

#10 ·
Well, as of today I started running Aspen Fuel in my Power Equipment. Nice thing is, if you are anything like me and terminally forget to drain the gas from your snowblower every year, this will fix the problem.

It's not cheap, but it has a stabile shelf life of 5 years at least. So it's the last tank I run in the snowblower, and it will start up like its brand new 6months later.

I might run it this season, depending how much snow we have, but it solves the problem of having jerrycans of old fuel sitting around.

What I've noticed so far? Burns cleaner, has a different smell to it. Not headache inducing.

My understanding is that Toro and B&S run Aspen for Performance testing and break in. They don't need to drain the carbs either and ship their units with Aspen in the bowl. It's the only fuel the government allows them to do that with. So it cuts down on draining waste etc.

Let me know what you guys think.

#13 ·
I haven't seen anything like that around here. The only non-ethanol fuel I've seen here is the Trufuel stuff but that is for 2 cycle equipment.

Honestly, the best solution I've found personally is to use a double dose of marine Sta-Bil in the fuel cans when I fill them up. The Sta-Bil directions say to use 1 ounce for every 5 gallons for storage. I use 2 ounces per 5 gallons and haven't had one carb issue since. I had carb issues before using sta-bil, and now they have been eliminated. I also recommend this to my small engine repair customers and they have all been successful as well. I usually have 10 gallons of gas on hand, and a bunch of power equipment that sits for extended periods of time like snow blowers, generators, leaf blowers, etc.

At first I tried draining the gas. It prevented the carbs from corroding if I emptied them COMPLETELY (requires removing the bowl), but I found that on some engines the bowl gaskets and other rubber parts would dry out and crack. In some cases it ruined fuel lines. I think it is much easier to just add a double dose of Sta-Bil to the cans when I fill them up.

My 1980 Little Wonder leaf blower has a 5 hp Briggs. It had a full tank of fuel in it from last fall treated with the marine sta-bil. It fired up on the second pull this season and runs perfect.

#17 ·
I changed the belts on the 826, both the auger and drive belts. I also popped the pan off the bottom and greased the shaft that the drive wheel slides on. It shifts a bit smoother now. I cleaned the rubber drive disk and the metal friction plate with a paper towel and some gasoline. It had a bit of grime on it but is shiny clean now. :D

I also changed the spark plug, I'll probably do the engine oil and gear box oil tomorrow after work.

#18 ·
I'm a big fan of the drum auger...the good old days....sigh....which sadly feel like yesterday (because it was). I saw a power shift at the dealer the other day. Great shape. The thought of my wife killing my face put an end to any designs on collecting machines. Even if it is preserving history :eek::D

This post has been deleted
#21 ·
I moved mine. Now, I think there is to be some snow tomorrow....here's hoping its a good amount vs. a skiff. POWERSHIFT! I still have to get you the info on the Aspen fuel. I'll try and remember to do that in the next day or so.

#25 ·
Alright, got my shoes back from the welding lab. Going to get them cleaned up after bit, and ready for paint this weekend. Supposed to be in the 50's.... Might even get the whole thing back together.

#26 ·
Checked the air in the tires that I repaired a few weeks back, ok so far. Need to install one bolt missing from the recoil and change auger gear case oil this weekend. Still snacking on the rice crispy bars the elderly lady across the street gave me for doing her driveway. Thanks Toro!

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
Well, we went to Sams to get stuff for turkey day. We came back, I finally got to the the garage to get the Hondas shoes painted. Saw the thermo hit 58F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.