Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is usual, but I still find it a bit odd that the guys that live in the part of the country that get only a few snowfalls per year, can possibly have opinions about Snowblowers, while us guys that use them each year for more than 6 full months at a time don't care as much.do you know how much it snows in Minnesota each year? or the fact that most people don't care what brand snowblower you have? I guess I must be odd.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I don't care what brand a snowblower it is, as long as it is of sturdy construction, runs well and blows snow good.

Most of mine are of the older generation, which were steel instead of tin and plastic, had steel rods instead of tiny cables, i.e., just plain built more solid.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wow! My family has owned a farm in Hallock, MN since about 1890, spent a lot of summers and a few winters there.Now I live in Connecticut.
You can call yourself odd, not sure if I would use the same verbiage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think it doesn't really matter where the person is, if they are a gearhead, they will have an opinion on anything internal combustion engine related. I don't think too many of us are really die-hard loyalists, but we will share out experience with one particular brand that has caused us problems, or one brand that has never failed us.

Also, orangeputeh is on point, the NE does not get much snow....

Cloud Sky Snow Freezing Tints and shades
Snow Sky Tree Freezing Building

I'm making an attempt at humor with my previous remark. This was during winter storm Jonas almost 6 years ago, where we got over 2 feet of snow. What is buried under that pile is a Mercury Grand Marquis.

This does not happen often, but it has happened often enough in my life where I would never consider not owning a snowblower.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think making a generalization based on total average annual snowfall might be interesting, but... For me, that is more related to 'how often' than to how well a particular machine performs. If I have a machine that starts reliably, clears the snow I get reliably, doesn't break the bank to buy or maintain, then for myself anyway, it's a good machine.

Am I an expert on all snowblowers? Nope. My experience is limited to just a few and each under very different use conditions, and those experiences literally decades apart. Each seemed adequate for the job at the time. Would I want to use that first 3hp Toro Powerhandle from my teen years in the ski-area snow I enjoyed mid-life? Probably not, but the big Ariens I had at the time was enough. That one would be overkill for the snow we see now in central Oregon, twelve miles from Mt. Bachelor ski area. It might be cool to have another big Ariens or a Toro or Honda or Yamaha or Yanmar, just because. It would be wasted here, on me anyway.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The NE runs the gamut as far as weather. There's an old saying around these parts and I do mean old. "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." Just 2 days ago it was 5° in the morning and the afternoon it was 41°. Sure there may be some winters where snow totals are down but I've seen plenty where it's been extremely high. I've seen several 30 plus inch storms. I've seen stretches where we get 20-in storms once a week for a month. You really never know what you're going to get.

Here's a pic of my above ground swimming pool from 2015.
Sky Plant Snow Cloud Branch

Sidewalk, 6 ft on the left, 7 on the right.
Snow Tree Slope Window Twig

Reactions: Eyeboltman

·
Registered
Honda HSS724 & Honda HS720
141 Posts
The NE gets no snow is a pretty broad statement. Portland Maine on the coast would get alot of mixed precipitation, but drive an hour or more into Western Maine and its quite a different story. Carrabasset Valley gets more snow in April than any other month. The White Mountains in NH certainly get their share of snow. Climates can vary significantly over 50 miles.

I am in the NE of Canada. Not alot of snow this year, but we have a large Nor'easter coming tomorrow. Most of my neighbours do not own snowblowers owing to the amount of snow we get, this being the oppositte of what you think. The majority of my neighbours have a blower service (aka large farm tractor with a six foot blower). Nobody gets their driveway plowed where I live as a plow doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I guess this is usual, but I still find it a bit odd that the guys that live in the part of the country that get only a few snowfalls per year, can possibly have opinions about Snowblowers, while us guys that use them each year for more than 6 full months at a time don't care as much.do you know how much it snows in Minnesota each year? or the fact that most people don't care what brand snowblower you have? I guess I must be odd.
Nose Hairstyle Facial expression Cartoon Vertebrate

Ha Ha Ha, you don't get any Nor'easter storms either.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think it is odd to talk about snow blower when you don't have snow at all. Say like you live in Florida and talking about snow blowers.

We don't have a lot of snow here in Nebraska either, but most houses have snow blowers. It's all good, because like to have fun blowing snow, but I don't want a lot of snow either. My hobby in the summer would be mowing lawn instead.

Also, I found it more difficult to remove a couple inches of snow than to remove 8-12 inches of snow. Not enough snow to use your snow blower, but you still have to remove it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I guess I could be classified as one of those who don't have an "opinion" simply because I live in a semi-arid area of the country. I can only use one snowblower at a time so I have no desire to own multiple machines. Perhaps to compensate I unconsciously do regular preventative maintenance on it to keep it in good operating condition for those odd times we do get that unexpected dump. Just a guess so don't read too much into it.

Besides, I'm not getting any younger and no longer want to shovel as much as I used to thus the reason for the snowblower.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Most of my neighbours do not own snowblowers owing to the amount of snow we get, this being the oppositte of what you think. The majority of my neighbours have a blower service (aka large farm tractor with a six foot blower). Nobody gets their driveway plowed where I live as a plow doesn't cut it.
In my neighbourhood only about 30% own snow blowers, the rest contract out to the guys with the big farm tractor with rear mounted blower. No one gets their driveways plowed around here.
I will do the EOD pile for a couple of neighbours that are near me, if the contractor hasn't been by yet so they can at least get in or out if needed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also on the North Shore of MA I've seen plowable snow as early as October and as late as April. I'm sure many others here will remember the April's fools day blizzard back in '97. 33" in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Toro-8-2-4

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think it is odd to talk about snow blower when you don't have snow at all. Say like you live in Florida and talking about snow blowers.

We don't have a lot of snow here in Nebraska either, but most houses have snow blowers. It's all good, because like to have fun blowing snow, but I don't want a lot of snow either. My hobby in the summer would be mowing lawn instead.

Also, I found it more difficult to remove a couple inches of snow than to remove 8-12 inches of snow. Not enough snow to use your snow blower, but you still have to remove it.
Just use the leave blower, for the 2".
A lot of folks moved to Florida to get out of snow blowing.
So some might have a lot of experience about working with blowers to share.
Some down there may miss it and visit the site? :)
I don't think we have members from Florida?

I got a whopping 6" so far in New Jersey. :)
Maybe more this Sunday.(y)
We never know till it is over as what we are getting.
Great forecasting around here.

Reactions: carguy20

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I purchased an Ariens 28 Pro a few years ago so I am ready for storms that might or might not come my way. Personally...........I prefer global warming arriving instead of snow.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I guess I could be classified as one of those who don't have an "opinion" simply because I live in a semi-arid area of the country. I can only use one snowblower at a time so I have no desire to own multiple machines. Perhaps to compensate I unconsciously do regular preventative maintenance on it to keep it in good operating condition for those odd times we do get that unexpected dump. Just a guess so don't read too much into it.

Besides, I'm not getting any younger and no longer want to shovel as much as I used to thus the reason for the snowblower.
You have that right.....it's in my signature. ( shoveling)
I have 2, one a 1963 Classic machine I am saving from the scrap pile.
Preserving a little history I am. :)
Works, so it is a backup if I need it.

Maintenance is the key to having a happy machine, like you mentioned.
Any machine. 😎

·
Retired Moderator
3,883 Posts
The three snowiest cities in the US, on average, are Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse NY. Thanks to lake effect snow from Lakes Erie and Ontario. (There are some other areas/regions that do get more snow, but not snowier cities.) All three are quite firmly in the North East. ;)

Scot

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think making a generalization based on total average annual snowfall might be interesting, but... For me, that is more related to 'how often' than to how well a particular machine performs. If I have a machine that starts reliably, clears the snow I get reliably, doesn't break the bank to buy or maintain, then for myself anyway, it's a good machine.

Am I an expert on all snowblowers? Nope. My experience is limited to just a few and each under very different use conditions, and those experiences literally decades apart. Each seemed adequate for the job at the time. Would I want to use that first 3hp Toro Powerhandle from my teen years in the ski-area snow I enjoyed mid-life? Probably not, but the big Ariens I had at the time was enough. That one would be overkill for the snow we see now in central Oregon, twelve miles from Mt. Bachelor ski area. It might be cool to have another big Ariens or a Toro or Honda or Yamaha or Yanmar, just because. It would be wasted here, on me anyway.
Careful Dr. Bob ~ we can get pounded here in central Oregon. I've seen many heavy winters over the last 30 years, generally not year after year but around every 4 - 7 years and it can get ugly. This photo is from 2017 and I think we are about due for another good dump. I found over the years that it is real nice to have a snowblower than can clear the plow pile without breaking my back.

Snow Cloud Tree Branch Slope

These 2 pix are from 2019 ~ the kids love our street after a good snow drop

Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Snowplow

Snow Slope Tree Mountain Terrain

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not sure where you are going with your post. Does it matter weather if one part of the country has more or less snow than another. The need for a snowblower is not dependent on where you live. Many forum members enjoy not only repairing or refurbishing their machines but they also enjoy the commradarie with likewise people.I have been a member here now for only a short time But I enjoy being part of this community.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts