Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just use the leave blower, for the 2".
A lot of folks moved to Florida to get out of snow blowing.
So some might have a lot of experience about working with blowers to share.
Some down there may miss it and visit the site? :)
I don't think we have members from Florida?

I got a whopping 6" so far in New Jersey. :)
Maybe more this Sunday.(y)
We never know till it is over as what we are getting.
Great forecasting around here.
I have been using a backpack blower to blow snow, but it doesn't work well all the time. It's because the first 2 inches are usually wet snow.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I guess this is usual, but I still find it a bit odd that the guys that live in the part of the country that get only a few snowfalls per year, can possibly have opinions about Snowblowers, while us guys that use them each year for more than 6 full months at a time don't care as much.do you know how much it snows in Minnesota each year? or the fact that most people don't care what brand snowblower you have? I guess I must be odd.
==========================================================================================

When Lake Erie and Lake Ontario have no ice they makes it much easier for them to generate lake effect snow storms that can paralise large areas of western and northern New York State in a very short time with westerly winds coming from the midwest and Canada.

We receive heavy wet snows and with the freeze thaw cycles and the excess use of rock salt to maintain a bare wet roads NYSDOT policy it only makes it worse.

A lot of us have to put up excess salt use and the plows push the cruddy mess bay into the driveways and the road shoulder in front of the driveway.

This makes clearing snow 4+ times harder than it has to be because the crud will melt and then freeze overnight making it many times harder to remove with single stage snow blowers and two stage snow blowers.

This is a problem because folks get impatient and the melting crud can pack in a snow blower and make the open augers cake with ice and snow because they are hotter from the friction of contacting snow and pushing it to the center
for the fan to discharge it up through the chute and spout.

When the temperature gets down to near zero for extended periods with strong winds they cannot use salt and the roads will dry to bare gray asphalt pavement which is a benefit as its too cold to snow or have large areas of wind driven snows as the previous snow falls that have built up from high winds have become more dense from freeze thaw cycles.

If all that was offered for snow removal were 12 horse single stage snow throwers with 7 inch solid steel augers welded to 6 inch tubular steel with fifteen degree flighting with a 24 inch cut they would not sell many of them because the ones that they sold would still be out in the field requiring little maintenance other than greasing the flange bearings, changing the oil and inspecting the condition of the V belts, drive tire and the snow blower rotors roller chain drive and the wheel drive
system.

Life would get boring around here as the roller chain drive for the snow blower rotor would be the only thing that would break on occasion and the main bearings for the snow blower rotor would be four bolt flange open bearings that bolt to the side weldments. The drive belt for the snow blower rotor would be a little longer as it would pass through 2 belt guide pulleys to the one to one right angle bevel gear gearbox and pulley that spins the cross shaft that spins the drive sprocket to power the driven sprocket to spin the snow blower rotor. Insert "the thigh bones connected to the knee bone, the knee bones connected to the shin bone, the shin bones connected to the ankle bone etc., etc. :D

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I can only assume the OP is basing his observations/opinions about people from the NE here. However, Maybe not??? The OP needs to understand that this is the SNOWBLOWER FORUM. The members here are going to have all kinds of opinions about snow blowers. Regardless of where they live. They are going to share experiences, observations, ideas and opinions. It is kinda the point of joining and participating. We will be much more critical than most snow blower owners. We are a minority. Most people who own a snow blower are not as detailed or in some cases OCD like we may be about maintenance, use an optimization. The majority of owners do not repair or give much thought to their machine. People who are into wrenching on engines and fixing machinery are going to be drawn here. Regardless of how much snow they remove a year. And Bob is your uncle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Id die for that nice lite fluffy stuff out there gets buried in!! Stuff that falls in NewEngland most storms more resembles concrete than snow. Hp and good belts matter! 3 machines down last storm reported by neighbors. All called for plows.. 6 inches of snow followed 1/4 inch of rain before dawn.. Mine made it but needs new belts. 3 years on that set was not too bad. I'm happy dealing with only with a few nor'easters a year! Any more I'd drain the pipes seal the house and spend it in the keys! 7 more years and I drive south hours after I hand out the Halloween candy and come back for the first mow of the season.... keep it all, I'm done!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Id die for that nice lite fluffy stuff out there gets buried in!! Stuff that falls in NewEngland most storms more resembles concrete than snow. Hp and good belts matter! 3 machines down last storm reported by neighbors. All called for plows.. 6 inches of snow followed 1/4 inch of rain before dawn.. Mine made it but needs new belts. 3 years on that set was not too bad. I'm happy dealing with only with a few nor'easters a year! Any more I'd drain the pipes seal the house and spend it in the keys! 7 more years and I drive south hours after I hand out the Halloween candy and come back for the first mow of the season.... keep it all, I'm done!
You can become a Snowbird too? :)
I used to haul Snowbird cars out of Boston down to Miami. And back to Boston when they came back after the season ended.
They took the plane. :)

Where about are you now?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.