Snowblower Forum banner
201 - 220 of 309 Posts
Changing the worm gear oil used to be in the "consumer service schedule" for the previous model, but for this model it is recommended as "dealer service because it requires special skills and tools". I think I know why.

The filling hole is in the front side of the worm gear housing and it is VERY small. The filling level is a horizontal line, level with the filling hole.

It requires 50ml of oil (or 0,63 of a US qt, or 0,53 of an Imperial qt. I guess this means something to those who use these measurements).

The tricky bit is getting the oil in to the hole, without it bubbling out again.

Recommendation for those trying to do this: Use a very narrow piece of plastic pipe, attached to a syringe (credit to TJJ for the syringe). In this way you can dose an exact amount deep within the housing. Slap on the nuts and washers, torque up to 16Nm and you are done.

Discussion starter · #203 ·
Had my first real problem this morning with my 4 year old Yammy! Hit a big chunk of ice in the EOD on the first run. It snapped the original auger belt. Luckily for me the Yamaha dealer had one LB36. Not given $70. A couple hours later back in business. I should have changed it when I did the auger bearing change but really thought it didn't look that bad.

Discussion starter · #206 ·
Did the bearing fail? What was the reason for changing it?
Did the same on my old 524, also did the 4 axle bearings on that one.

The only flaw with the Yamaha snowblower design is the choice of bearings exposed to EOD salted slush. They are poorly sealed and salt gets in. Salt and steel don't mix very!!! They were starting to sound dry, rather than wait for them to fail and seize up on me I decided to do some preventative maintenance and change them all, glad I did because all 3 were rough.

Any chance someone who owns a Yamaha would download a decibel app and post the dB level at idle and wide open?

I see Yamaha published ratings on the new 10 hp but I am unclear of the rpm parameters

My 1978 Ariens exceeds 100db and my next door neighbor was complaining last week.

Compared it to a HS928 90db and a HSS1332 95db but am intrigued by the Yamaha 51db on the new 10hp.

I have it running strong but believe I damaged my hearing adjusting the jets.

Thank you

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Yamaha from the engine manual the MZ300 creates 79.4 decibels at 7 meters with the muffler. In this case you would want to wear hearing protection anyway.
=============================================================

Is there any reason you cannot purchase disposable earplugs locally at a Stihl dealer?

Use some hydrogen peroxide for your ears by lying on your side and filling the ear until it dribbles out and just lay there for about ten minutes on each side to let it work. It will relieve a lot of discomfort in both ears.

If you want to keep your mule-

One of the members posted a link and parts sheet for a muffler modification with a
exhaust flange adapter straight pipe to a long tube muffler and uses a vertical exhaust rain cap to keep snow out of it.

The long cigar glass packed mufflers are good but you still need to wear hearing protection of some kind.

We have talked about using catalytic converters to clean the exhaust on these engines and there are several threads and links to the manufacturer of the one brand we have discussed on the forum in detail .

If you go to the THM motorsports home page they have a small cigar shape muffler for $37.00+ clamps and muffler pipe extension and you can purchase the adapters to fit the two inch inlet and buy a 2 inch rain cap for the exhaust after you clamp a section of muffler pipe on it with the rain cap on it.

you could always keep the muffler to mount it on another snow mule by just using an exhaust flange adapter for that specific engine and the related pipe fittings to adapt to a two inch muffler.

Discussion starter · #212 ·
Okay did a few test nothing scientific and all done standing behind the snowblower as if I was using it, not at 7 meters. ( I could do a 7 meter test if this is important to someone but seemed irrelevant to me ) Auger not turning!

This is outside before I start my Yammy

Started the Yammy full throttle

Idle...

Inside my garage with no Yamaha running with my garage door closing

Is this what you wanted to see?

Hi Coby,

I finally give a shot for a YT624 and I don’t miss my Ariens deluxe 28 at all : already throws farther than the ariens and the break in period is not even finished. This little mx175 engine is fantastic !! Can you please tell me if i should shut off the carb valve everytime during the winter season or I can leave it open? I park it in my garage heated at +5 C...

Thanks!

Hello Rick70,

Not wanting to steal Coby7's thunder but shutting off the fuel and running it until it is gone is always a good idea even when using fuel treatments.

I am glad that the Yamaha is working well and it has barely put up a sweat for you.

Having a spare auger belt is always a good idea. Just be sure to put it in a big zip lock bag with the cardboard tube it came in and then put it in a tool box drawer to keep it out of the sunlight to prevent ozone damage to the V belt. you can always put it in a sealed black garbage bag and tape the bag to the wall of the garage too.

Happy holidays.

Is there parts list/cataloque somewhere for YT624? I have old Ys624, with broken impeller. Read somewhere that the YT624 impeller is the same as the old YS624, but of course part number is different.

Have searched via google. YS624 parts list is available from many sources, but YT624, can't find it :(

Discussion starter · #220 · (Edited)
Replaced the 7 rusting philips trust head M6 screws that hold the covers with M6 Knurled stainless steel thumb screws at about 2 bucks a piece. I don't always carry a philips screw driver with me but my fingers follow me everywhere I go.

201 - 220 of 309 Posts