Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Let it snow
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The first flakes may still be a few weeks away, but it's about time to dust off the snow thrower and prep it for winter. But what if, instead of fiddling with a carb and mixing fuel, this task meant simply inspecting the blower and making sure the batteries are charged.

Snow Joe has just introduced the first such cordless two-stage tool powered by two lithium-ion batteries. The clean and silent operation make snow-clearing an almost pleasant experience.

The Snow Joe iON24SB-XR is self-propelled, and it's two-stage function collects the snow with an auger and then discharges it with an impeller fan. This makes it ideal for clearing snow from larger yards and driveways.

Snow Joe
It's available with two 40-volt 5.0 Ah batteries for 40 minutes of runtime, which can carve a swath 24 inches wide by 13 inches deep, and throw up to 1,000 pounds of snow per minute. An upgraded model features two 40-volt 6.0 Ah batteries for 50 minutes of runtime on a single charge.

Since there is no gas, this unit can be stored safely indoors and is about half the way of most gas units which make it much more maneuverable.

The iON24SB-XR is available now for $799 on Amazon.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is an interesting alternative for those who live in a once a year snow storm area I imagine, time will tell how worthwhile it will be. At the very least it eliminates the ethanol fuel issue so that's got to be worth something for the occasional snowblower user who isn't terribly mechanically inclined.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I'm sure for some people it makes sense. Don't have to mess with fuel, quieter and when charged all you need to do is hit the on button and go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think many people that buy this unit will eventually end up regretting it as soon as the battery dies before they finish plowing their snow. You better make **** sure it doesn't take you more then 40mintues to do your business....or God forbid you forget to charge it when you're done, and only realize it when you need it again.

Seriously though....is it that much of an inconvenience to have a gas powered machine, or plug in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paul from MovingSnow.com - Helping You Find The Best Snow Blower For You just did unboxing video...
My takes from looking at this, reading and watching paul's video:
Cons - Cheap tires, Cheap chute turn mechanism, lots of plastic, limited run time, EOD snow might be a challenge for the motor
Pros - Good for people that live in place that prohibits or have no separate storage for gas powered, good for people to say they have 2 stage machine that actually don't do any snow removal

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry boys, but I think you are looking at the future. It just makes too much sense. Electric motors have too much going for them. They're very efficient, don't require any maintenance, and require no gas which means no emissions and low operating costs. Currently there are obvious limitations like run time and power, however, I bet my 14 year old son will buy an electric snowblower one day that is the equivalent to my Ariens 24" Deluxe.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Is Mr Admin supplying this for forum fuel or promotional purposes?

(same goes for the 10 Must Haves from a few days ago)

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
Sorry boys, but I think you are looking at the future. It just makes too much sense. Electric motors have too much going for them. They're very efficient, don't require any maintenance, and require no gas which means no emissions and low operating costs. Currently there are obvious limitations like run time and power, however, I bet my 14 year old son will buy an electric snowblower one day that is the equivalent to my Ariens 24" Deluxe.
emissions : the emissions is coming from the electric plant not the snowblower
hopefully your son has a bunch of great electric snowblowers to choose from in the future but right now petro powered snowblowers rules

Reactions: SnowG

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
dont want to open a can of worms.......but " no emissions"?.....sure the machine itself is "zero" emissions, but it would take 20 years of trouble free use to negate the the impact of the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries . i truely wish we were at the point where the sun, wind and water could support our energy needs with no impact to our planet. .imho...we are still in the caveman stage as far as being "green" goes.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've little doubt that someday they will laugh that we used gasoline for our snow blowers. It's just too soon.
Is Mr Admin supplying this for forum fuel or promotional purposes?

(same goes for the 10 Must Haves from a few days ago)
I'm believing this is promotional material.
My advice would be to just let them provide some funding to the folks that make snowblowerforums possible and take their money and understand what posts to ignore.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I'm believing this is promotional material.
My advice would be to just let them provide some funding to the folks that make snowblowerforums possible and take their money and understand what posts to ignore.
agreed..these posts are clearly paid advertisements..
it's a bit disappointing to not find them labeled as such however..
perhaps they could do what the newspapers are required to do: When there is a full-page "story" in the paper that is written to appear to be "just a news story", the papers have to put "This is a paid advertisement" across the top of the page. that would be helpful here, so no one gets the wrong idea...just a suggestion.

but I also agree with dbert that "just let them provide some funding to the folks that make snowblowerforums possible and take their money and understand what posts to ignore.".. that's a good point..advertisements are necessary for forums to survive, its how they pay the bills and its what allows this forum to exist in the first place..so we cant really be "anti-ads"..We understands ads are necessary..but IMO ads should always be clearly labeled as ads..there should be no question.

Scot

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
What I don't get is the minute you hit the home page there is a red snowblower I can't even figure out the brand is it an ad or is it a plug for that brand???? I almost thought that I was on movingsnow.### if tesla can make a battery for a car that is freaky fast and gets almost 300 miles on a charge. it will eventually trickle down to other things. so that batteries of the future on snowblowers will run for 4 or more hours. JUTS tossing that 1 out here if it makes any sense or not.

·
Registered
295 Posts
dont want to open a can of worms.......but " no emissions"?.....sure the machine itself is "zero" emissions, but it would take 20 years of trouble free use to negate the the impact of the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries . i truely wish we were at the point where the sun, wind and water could support our energy needs with no impact to our planet. .imho...we are still in the caveman stage as far as being "green" goes.
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The machine is zero emissions, and the batteries, although certainly not 100% environmentally friendly are largely recyclable. In fact, I think electric cars are about 50% cleaner for the environment with respect to harmful emissions that cause global warming than a traditional gas powered car. And that includes the manufacturing process. I don't know if the same can be said for a snowblower, however, I do know enough to keep my nose away from the business end of mine while it's running.

Like I said earlier, battery operated snow blowers lack any true power (not that I've ever used one) and certainly do not have a desirable run time, however, they are literally in their infancy. Given enough time, say another decade or two, I would bet they will become a solid choice among many typical homeowners. It just makes too much sense.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You would likely need to buy a 2nd set of batteries for sure. The 40 minutes may not always be the case depending on temperatures etc. I watched a couple of videos of it in operation on YouTube and it looks pretty weak, would work for a small sidewalk and maybe a one car driveway. For $799 at HD, too costly for what you get and what it can do.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I'm guessing if it was working out then Ariens wouldn't have dropped their electric. After all the R&D and tooling costs it's a shame they let it go. Would be nice if at least one manufacturer was able to market and then continue to improve an electric alternative.

Ariens 24" AMP

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well as it turns out, I've lucked into getting my hands on one of these units. I'm really looking forward to setting it up, using it, and of course reviewing it too.

I've had the opportunity to use several different types of battery operated lawn equipment in the past, but never anything as large as a snow blower. They have all been pretty good, but nothing has ever performed like a gas powered unit. The closest is my Echo Hedge trimmer. It's a little unbalanced due to the weight of the battery, but it gets the job done pretty easily.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts