Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
My experience with battery operated items in extreme cold, is that tend to fail quicker than AC or gas alternatives. It's not to say that there can be advantages to using rechargeable's, there are quite a few with temps above 50F and below 100F. Outside of those parameters and there is a diminished performance. While it may make sense as a lawn mower, maybe not as a snowblower application.

That of course said, battery chemistry could adjusted to combat the cold. But but what does that do to performance and life span?

And then we take the dalliance down the green road. Yes they are recyclable, but that takes energy to do and produces byproducts. So, albeit it may feel better to go this direction, what is the net result?

And, if you research into Tesla, they actually take all this into account, where most of us just store and ignore our machines in the garage, until we need them.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
"Hey Mom, look what we bought you!"

Pefect for the QVC crowd.

Reactions: Prime

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm sure it'll be what my kids probably use by the time they're my age, but it's just not the time for it right now.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Like anything else there is a learning curve. The manufacturers are trying to come out with one that works and they get closer each time. I'd like to see one of the Ariens Amps run in the snow around here. I would think if a company could make a reliable one that would work for the consumer it would be one of the big names. Ariens dropped the Amp but I'm sure in years ahead they'll be trying again.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sorry boys, but I think you are looking at the future. It just makes too much sense. Electric motors have too much going for them. They're very efficient, don't require any maintenance, and require no gas which means no emissions and low operating costs. Currently there are obvious limitations like run time and power, however, I bet my 14 year old son will buy an electric snowblower one day that is the equivalent to my Ariens 24" Deluxe.
There are emissions, just not at the snowblower, the electric has to be generated somewhere. Still nowhere as efficient as a gas machine. As far as the "green" angle, they are worse for the environment than gas. There's a lot of good arguments for electric, full torque from RPM 1. But "green" isn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
dont want to open a can of worms.......but " no emissions"?.....sure the machine itself is "zero" emissions, but it would take 20 years of trouble free use to negate the the impact of the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries . i truely wish we were at the point where the sun, wind and water could support our energy needs with no impact to our planet. .imho...we are still in the caveman stage as far as being "green" goes.
Exactly

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. The machine is zero emissions, and the batteries, although certainly not 100% environmentally friendly are largely recyclable. In fact, I think electric cars are about 50% cleaner for the environment with respect to harmful emissions that cause global warming than a traditional gas powered car. And that includes the manufacturing process. I don't know if the same can be said for a snowblower, however, I do know enough to keep my nose away from the business end of mine while it's running..
Actually, you'd be wrong. Electric cars, like the Prius for example, have a MUCH bigger impact on the environment than a Hummer. It's been studied, and proven, it's not a guess. As the study attached shows, the Prius is actually 50% worse for the environment than a Hummer. Just sayin'.

PRIUS OUTDOES HUMMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Actually, you'd be wrong. Electric cars, like the Prius for example, have a MUCH bigger impact on the environment than a Hummer. It's been studied, and proven, it's not a guess. As the study attached shows, the Prius is actually 50% worse for the environment than a Hummer. Just sayin'.

PRIUS OUTDOES HUMMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE
well..its been studied, and the numbers have been tweaked to reach the desired conclusion! ;)
They have some seriously flawed math, such as:

The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles -- the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles.
They have those mileages exactly backwards..
The Prius is a Toyota, high quality, will likely have no problem reaching 300,000 miles.
The Hummer is a GM piece of junk, there is no way the average Hummer will see 300,000 miles..most will struggle to reach 100,000 miles.

If you re-do the math with those far more plausible numbers, you get:

Prius costs $1.08 per mile over 300,000 miles.
Hummer costs $5.85 per mile over 100,000 miles.

And not surprisingly, others have reached the exact opposite conclusion:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_green_lantern/2008/03/tank_vs_hybrid.html

http://carfixtips.com/urban-myth-or-truth-the-hummer-vs-prius-environmental-debate/

https://www.autobytel.com/toyota/prius/2009/reviews/emissions-showdown-toyota-prius-vs-hummer-h2-105357/

https://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/05/oh-so-a-hummer-is-not-greener-a-prius/

Its pretty obvious the "Hummer is better" is a myth based on one very flawed story from 2007.
which was then thoroughly debunked..in 2007.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain.

Scot

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
well..its been studied, and the numbers have been tweaked to reach the desired conclusion! ;)
They have some seriously flawed math, such as:

They have those mileages exactly backwards..
The Prius is a Toyota, high quality, will likely have no problem reaching 300,000 miles.
The Hummer is a GM piece of junk, there is no way the average Hummer will see 300,000 miles..most will struggle to reach 100,000 miles.

If you re-do the math with those far more plausible numbers, you get:

Prius costs $1.08 per mile over 300,000 miles.
Hummer costs $5.85 per mile over 100,000 miles.

And not surprisingly, others have reached the exact opposite conclusion:

Is it possible that a Hummer's better for the environment than a Prius is?

Urban Myth or Truth? The Hummer Vs Prius Environmental Debate ? CarFixTips

https://www.autobytel.com/toyota/prius/2009/reviews/emissions-showdown-toyota-prius-vs-hummer-h2-105357/

https://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/05/oh-so-a-hummer-is-not-greener-a-prius/

Its pretty obvious the "Hummer is better" is a myth based on one very flawed story from 2007.
which was then thoroughly debunked..in 2007.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain.

Scot
Guess you're right, they can make it say anything they want, it's who you choose to believe. Slate and Autobytel are fairly liberal in their positions, can't speak to the other two.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts