Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
should i throw it back?! MTD Yard Machine Made in Canada! 5.5 hp tecumseh, 22 inch bucket. bucket and handles damaged. not sure about the augers. impeller and rims are plastic. nice small carlisle tires. engine starts and runs.

words of wisdom?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
If it was me, and the engine turns over, I would take off the engine and shelf it. If the engine is toast, I would strip it, i.e. remove gas tank, muffler, carb, pulleys, etc.....

I would remove the tires from the rims, as the plastic rims are junk, and many were recalled.

Then trash it back to the land fill ...... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it was me, and the engine turns over, I would take off the engine and shelf it. If the engine is toast, I would strip it, i.e. remove gas tank, muffler, carb, pulleys, etc.....

I would remove the tires from the rims, as the plastic rims are junk, and many were recalled.

Then trash it back to the land fill ...... :)
As someone who has a 5/22 247.88700, I agree.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, definitely not considering resuscitating it. more about whether it has parts value. i think it was built in june 1995. looks like it was in good shape before it ran into godzilla.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That thing is done for, not worth the time, money or effort to repair.

Your best bet would be stripping it for any of the parts to resell or use yourself.

Although depending on what you do, they'll probably sit on a shelf for eternity, sometimes it's just not worth it. Great parts machine for someone with the same model.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
i would say the engine might be the only thing worth saving. everything else is really hit and miss.
If the trans is good, that is worth some money
would you really want to risk selling it tho especially in a machine that was clearly in a accident.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like the comments, esp. the possible new wheels! still trying to get the model number (serial seems to only get me the build date).

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
lol your only missing 1 number out of the model number which is common accross most mtd's

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is still an active recall on those plastic wheels. Contact MTD and they'll send you a new set of steel wheels with mounted tires.
called MTD, and the wheel replacements were already sent out to the PO in 2018. he never swapped. maybe the blower has its accident before he had the chance.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
called MTD, and the wheel replacements were already sent out to the PO in 2018. he never swapped. maybe the blower has its accident before he had the chance.
I actually see a couple blowers like this every year. and get them cheap from owners who have backed into them with their vehicle. Other than the auger housing , usually the rest of machine is pristine. Change the bucket and you'll have a A-1 blower.
This bucket looks gone but I have straightened out a couple with a jig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sucks. The evil voice in my head would be telling me to call them back with a serial # that was off by 1 or 2 digits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They are so back-ordered that it takes months to get the wheels. My experience with the 5-22 leads me to recommend selling for parts. Even the plastic cable holder. Keep the engine. Make a gas powered blender or charcoal starter/blower. Or use for carrying Hobies down the beach.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Keep going to the dump over the next couple of weeks . . . maybe you will find a carcass with no engine and be able to make a whole machine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually see a couple blowers like this every year. and get them cheap from owners who have backed into them with their vehicle. Other than the auger housing , usually the rest of machine is pristine. Change the bucket and you'll have a A-1 blower.
This bucket looks gone but I have straightened out a couple with a jig.
are you saying this blower is a winner and should be brought back into full service!?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts