Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine is the New Holland/Gilson Unitrol.
NEVER fails to start, stored outside all year, uncovered, with old gas in it.
RESTARTS with one pull every time, if shut off.
CARB never plugs up.
DOESN'T smoke or use oil.
DOESN'T foul spark plug.
VERY GOOD traction even without chains.
EASY to steer, maneuver.
ADEQUATE 8HP Briggs engine.
SMOOTH control levers for auger, speeds, gears.

although the least flashy of all my machines, without the fanfare of 3 stages, 32" buckets, big 10HP engines, etc. it's by far the most reliable, dependable, useful all year long. not the most powerful, doesn't throw the snow the farthest distance (the Snowbird actually throws it a little farther), but by far the most effortless and easy to use.

how 'bout you ?

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
define a vintage snowblower and classic snowblower

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
define a vintage snowblower and classic snowblower
in general vintage machinery would be pre-1980.

it certainly would not be one made in China, using slave labor, or a 1960 Snowbird powered by a Chinese engine....or a $5000 machine made last year with power steering, heated hand grips, 15" tires, and a paint job that looks like it belongs on a NASCAR racer...

if the front chute is thin and you can bend it with your hand, or punch a dent in it with your fist, it's probably not a vintage machine

if it sounds like a P-47 when it's running, was made in the USA, and you punch the side of the front chute and break your hand- that's probably a vintage machine...:D

something with some USA made, American gusto, like this
not Chinese "smooth" and trendy "hand warmed"

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my '72 Sears 3520 runs like a scalded-ape, snaps to life with 1/2-pull and pulverizes the powder...

...after I pulled the head, decarbed, serviced the valves, relocated the tension sprocket, changed the crankshaft, swapped the auger, changed the governor spool, upsided the drive-sprocket and mounted a belt-cover. :D

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I haven't had to touch my 832 Toro all season, it just works. I do all the maintenance on it, when it's warm :D
I can appreciate that, and I can also appreciate the idea of always being prepared and ready.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts