Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
I've kind of got my heart set on the new Platinum 24. It looks to have everything I could want in a snowblower and seems pretty much perfect for my needs. Before I actually pull the trigger I'd really like to know your thoughts on the Auto-Turn feature. Removing snow in my yard will involve lots of tight turns, so it seems to me to be the perfect solution, but I've been wondering if it might prove to be a weak spot over the long term. :eek:
Looking forward to your input.
Regards,
Larry

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have used solid axle blowers and I thought I was in heaven when I bought an old 1970s Ariens and found a differential in it. I can turn that thing with one hand without even trying. It can be slightly problematic on ice as that will let one wheel spin, but I will take it. The old ones were either open or locked.

The new ones are suppose to auto lock for going straight and still allow easy turning so in theory it should be the best of both worlds. They first came out with the auto turn feature a couple years back, but this year I think they redesigned it so there must have been some issues with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you seen the Ariens video on YouTube? Looks pretty slick, as far as reliability they tend to test new tech pretty substantially. I wouldn't have a concern with it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to my local dealer today and came away with a bad feeling. They want to charge an extra $130.00 for set up. This is a large "green" farm implement dealer who sells Ariens as a sideline out of 8 branches, so they cover the entire south part of Saskatchewan. Think volume buying. If I care to drive 2 hours I can go to either of 2 small dealers and buy the same machine with no set up charge. I can't even go to the depot, because they don't sell the platinum 24 in Canada. Makes my blood boil!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Went to my local dealer today and came away with a bad feeling. They want to charge an extra $130.00 for set up. This is a large "green" farm implement dealer who sells Ariens as a sideline out of 8 branches, so they cover the entire south part of Saskatchewan. Think volume buying. If I care to drive 2 hours I can go to either of 2 small dealers and buy the same machine with no set up charge. I can't even go to the depot, because they don't sell the platinum 24 in Canada. Makes my blood boil!
Wow! That does seem steep. My local dealer charged $36 which I considered a reasonable charge. They also delivered it free of charge.
Bruce

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent my issue to Ariens on their ask us a question deal. It seems to me to lack the integrity they are famous for. There was a local Japanese power equipment dealer here that had his dealership revoked for pulling just this kind of crap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thoughts on Ariens ATC feature; I have a 2010 Ariens Platinum 24 model 921017 with the automatic traction control and I love it. When I bought it I thought it was the best combination of size, power and maneuverability for my requirements. Went with the Platinum over the Deluxe model BECAUSE of the ATC and I have not been disappointed. I have never used a snowblower of any type before and I wanted it to be as easy to use as possible for me and my wife. It turns on a dime in place very easily to begin the next row. There is no struggling or straining with turning you just turn it like a push mower, very easy. That is my only comparison since I have never used another snowblower before.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Brian!
You situation sounds a lot like mine. It's been over 45 years since I used a snow blower and I've decided that the wife and I are getting too old to be doing the amount of shovelling that our yard requires in the winter. I'm fairly mechanical, but pretty much all I know about snowblowers comes from reading what the good folks that frequent this forum have to say. I'm glad that I seem to be on the right track with my choice.
Best regards,
Larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to help Larry! Yes internet forums are great, this forum helped me out tremendously 3 years ago when researching snowblowers for my own needs. Seems for almost any subject or area of interest there is an internet forum where knowledgeable enthusiasts share with like minded people or those seeking to learn. They are a great resource.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the 2013 Platinum 30 with ATC, and I find that I am always struggling to keep it running straight. It's a workout let me tell ya !! Now, I am in no way disputing Brian McSouthJersey's impressions of the ATC, because that's what you're going to find when reading about the ATC feature. It appears to work extremely well for some, while others like me don't like it. I personally prefer the deluxe model which uses the trigger. That being said, I am thinking that my driveway may have something to do with the function of the ATC. I have a lot of dips and such. When one side of the bucket dips, the cutting bar catches in the driveway, and the ATC frees up one wheel because it thinks I want to turn. I am ordering the bigger skid shoes from snowblowerskids.com to see if that helps improve the situation any. I have used it on my neighbors driveway a couple of times and it seems to work a bit better there. His driveway is a little more flat than mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also, just realized the the Auto-Turn feature is new for 2014. That suggests that it must be different than the Automatic Traction Control from previous years. Does anyone know what the difference is between Auto-Turn and the Automatic Traction Control?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Also, just realized the the Auto-Turn feature is new for 2014. That suggests that it must be different than the Automatic Traction Control from previous years. Does anyone know what the difference is between Auto-Turn and the Automatic Traction Control?
Here is a quote from Snowmann (someone who actually works for Ariens)

The latest Auto Turn releases power from the interior wheel for tighter turning radii, has a wet sump for longer life, and unlocks faster than the old system (formerly called ATC, Auto Traction Control). I hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 2013 Platinum 30 with ATC, and I find that I am always struggling to keep it running straight. It's a workout let me tell ya !! Now, I am in no way disputing Brian McSouthJersey's impressions of the ATC, because that's what you're going to find when reading about the ATC feature. It appears to work extremely well for some, while others like me don't like it. I personally prefer the deluxe model which uses the trigger. That being said, I am thinking that my driveway may have something to do with the function of the ATC. I have a lot of dips and such. When one side of the bucket dips, the cutting bar catches in the driveway, and the ATC frees up one wheel because it thinks I want to turn. I am ordering the bigger skid shoes from snowblowerskids.com to see if that helps improve the situation any. I have used it on my neighbors driveway a couple of times and it seems to work a bit better there. His driveway is a little more flat than mine.
Greetings Great Canadian: I am a new member & noted you have a 2013 Ariens Platinum 30.
In US this Platinum model is $600.00 less than the PRO model. But I question if there is really much difference. Did you compare the two?? How is your Platinum holding up?? Have you had any improvement with the Auto-Turn performance since February 2013??

I live on coast north of Boston so we get mix of rain & snow so I need machine with engine that can throw heavy snow. Thx.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum Seaox! Not to speak for him, but I think Great Canadian was talking about last year's model with automatic traction control, or atc. This year's model with"Auto-Turn" is said to be an improvement. I have the current model with the auto-turn system and while I've not yet tried it in the snow, it sure is effortless on the driveway. Ariens calls it zero turn and I think they will be proven right. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings Great Canadian: I am a new member & noted you have a 2013 Ariens Platinum 30.
In US this Platinum model is $600.00 less than the PRO model. But I question if there is really much difference. Did you compare the two?? How is your Platinum holding up?? Have you had any improvement with the Auto-Turn performance since February 2013??

I live on coast north of Boston so we get mix of rain & snow so I need machine with engine that can throw heavy snow. Thx.
Alot of differences between a Plat 30 and a Pro 28/32.

-Full length shaft for the Auger
-420cc engine vs 342cc engine
-16" auger vs 14" auger
-14" impeller vs 12" impeller
-23.5 intake height vs 21" intake height
-Pro28 is 318lbs vs 270 lbs
-Pro models have bearings throughout vs Platinum and below has bushings.
-Drive axle thicker on Pro

I wound up buying a 2013 Pro28 for $1900 brand new - Just waiting for the snow.

My only experience with the Auto-turn is unloading it from my trailer and parking it in the garage. That is after wheeling it around a bit to check out the Auto-turn. The auto-turn turns on a dime - one handed. As soon as I was straight - both wheels where driving. Again - very limited use but so far I think it is slick!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys first post here I had to join to jump into this discussion.

Auto-Turn is what is currently making me hesitant from buying a 28" Pro.

I have about 150 of driveway probably about a 5-7ft drop top to bottom than an area of about 50x50 I clear all of which are at an angle none of which is paved gravel some grass. So it never gets cleaned down and can be rough bumpy.

This snow could sit a week and so could the plowed snow at the end when I get there. I need a quality powerful machine.

My concern is that when using old now defunct mtd it could be bear side hilling. The lower side of the blower would of course want to go downhill especially if there was bump of something. You'd be fighting it to keep it straight at times.

I am afraid this Auto turn will make this even worse by trying to shutdown that downhill wheel thinking I want to turn that way.

All videos I see are dead level paved ground not my situation at all.

I am considering the simplicity pro 28, Toro 1128 HD and the 28 Pro.

Now is there difference between how the wheeled and tracked 28 perform in these conditions ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking at getting a new snowblower as well and considering the Ariens Deluxe 28+, Ariens Platinum 24, or Cub Cadet 524 SWE.

What I would like to know is does the Auto-Turn feature simply unlock the wheels so the user can turn the snowblower or is it actually a powered turn?

It's not absolutely clear to me. Would prefer to hear from an actual user of the new system.

When watching the video from Ariens showing the cutaway of the differential, one axle actually appears to speed up while the other reverses in motion. It makes me think the user is pushing the snowblower through the turn.

I'm curious as well with regards to Raven's question as I have a sloped concrete driveway.

As a side note, Ariens maintains that this is a new system over the older, lever operated, automatic traction control. I've talked to 2 different dealers that maintain that the auto turn and the older automatic traction control are the same system. Looking at the parts diagrams for the 2 systems does show significant parts differences.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Have you seen the Ariens video on YouTube? Looks pretty slick, as far as reliability they tend to test new tech pretty substantially. I wouldn't have a concern with it.
Hopefully that is true. Some times when a product is tested it seems reliable until it gets out into the hands of the consumers. (It's Murphy's law when it comes to consumers. Some people have been careless and done lots of stupid things whether intentional or not that break their machinery) Hopefully for Ariens it will be reliable. A worst case scenario would be large numbers of warranty work to repair the auto turn within the first few years or a ton of failures 4 to 5 years down the road when the machines are no longer under warranty. Either of these scenarios could be damaging to the reputation of the company.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the forum JDT and wave! :eek:
I have a Platinum 24 with the auto-turn and I'll try to answer your questions. First of all, don't let anyone tell you that auto-turn and the old ATC are the same thing. They are not. ATC required a lever to actuate it and the auto-turn is, well, auto.:D No levers, switches or buttons. I have read users of the ATC complaining about wrestling with their machines constantly and I can't imagine that with the auto-turn.
It's also not powered. The operator makes the machine turn, but it is pretty much effortless and it is pretty much a zero radius turn if you want it to be. I can't speak to what it will do on a side hill, because I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and it's flatter than your kitchen floor here, but I'm pretty confident in saying, you'll be happy with it.
If you have any more questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Good luck.:)
Larry

1 - 20 of 358 Posts