Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll have to get a new mower next year. I was cleaning the underside of the deck when I was putting it away for the season today and noticed a crack in the deck.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Road surface Motor vehicle
Sky Mountain Bedrock Slope Atmospheric phenomenon

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

I received it as a hand me down when I purchased my first house in 2005. It was originally purchased in 1993 so it doesn't owe me anything.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
might be worth looking for a ariens mower if you are shopping used. i haven't seen a rotten one yet so i would assume the steel they use is better quality. just make sure to avoid self propel. parts are expensive. got one here that needs a $60 belt. avoid honda's with the steel decks. the engines are good but seem to see a lot with rotten decks so i would assume they use junk steel for the decks. the mtds are ok but i think they are effected by how you maintain/store them since they usually start rusting from 1 spot and it just spread from there.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
it is likely cheaper to pick up a used machine than paying a shop to try and weld that. if you got a welder you can try and weld that up but i would guess you would just burn through because the rust has left the metal too thin. if you where going to try anything i would say brazing is likely your best bet but really not worth it. you could likely pick up a mower dirt cheap right now from someone who is motivated to get some space back.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks folks. I am leaning towards a new one, this mower has had a good run and as I said It doesn't owe me anything. Maybe I can sell the engine for $5 lol.

It doesn't have a bag feature, and that is on my nice to have list. I suspect also it's just a matter of time before other cracks and holes appear in the deck, I have been good at cleaning the grass out from underneath the deck between uses the past few years.

I'll check the listings to see if there is anything used on the market now, I thought about self-propelles, but that may be just something more to break.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Yeah, I have an older no name, probably made by Murray, about 30 years old, and took in my Daughters Ariens with the swivel front wheels and self propelled. I put a new tank on it but gata tell you, the self propelled is certainly a nice feature.

You can probably pick one up on Marketplace cheap.

·
Registered
777 Posts
As mentioned, take a look at Honda mowers with Xeon decks. I've had my Honda HRB217HXA since 2003 with over 350 hours on the hour meter and the deck is still in great shape. I hose the down the underside of the deck 3 times per season which really keeps the grass from building up. Awesome machine.

Reactions: Honda1132

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
This thread brought back a memory, years ago when I was about 12 years old, Dad had an old mower at the cottage that was so rusty, stones were beginning to fly through the deck while using it. One day we took some trash to the local dump and Dad sent me off to look for an old mower with the same deck but in better condition.
I was able to find one in better condition, minus the engine, and was proud when Dad said good job that deck will fit the engine perfectly. When we got back to the cottage he transferred the engine to the new deck and it gave us a few more years of service.

One thing I never told him though, was that while looking for the mower deck, I came across a box of nudie magazines. Trips to the dump were much more exciting from then on, but I was never able to find another box of "treasures".

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have an old Craftsman I bought new in 1998. It started doing that.
Your looks in better shape then mine did, I fixed it. Mine was three times the crack you show. You don't need any welding done as it is not going to stress there. You just need to cover the hole.
Clean it all up, Apply a tube of JB weld on it. I fixed mine then formed a piece of sheet metal over it and riveted it on. My damage/rot was worse then yours. I added some paint afterwards.
Been 5 years and still holding up good. I hope to get another 20 years out of it. :)
I just put 2 power wheels on the front, I only had them for 2 years waiting for the others to wear out more.
The 6.75 Hp motor has served me well. I only change the oil once a year and only had to replace the ignition coil once.
And this was right after I tossed a parts machine I had, Ed's world, pack rat then as soon as I toss something I need it. :(

Never had the carb off in all those years, so I must be doing something right concerning the gas and storing.
Added a few new plugs even though the old ones looked good.

Reactions: Darby and Honda1132

·
Registered
1979 Ariens 924044
100 Posts
I tossed my 2001 Troybilt a week ago. I knew the deck was thin so last year I picked up a used Craftsman from a disabled vet that refurbs old mowers for some extra cash. One of the drive wheels lost an e clip holding the gear on so I broke the old one out to finish. One corner of the deck broke off. I pulled the Honda motor and the adjusters off and sent it on its way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like I'll have to get a new mower next year.

I received it as a hand me down when I purchased my first house in 2005. It was originally purchased in 1993 so it doesn't owe me anything.
I would say you're right. Now comes the fun part...shopping for a new mower.

Reactions: Honda1132

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same thing happen to an old Honda pusher (self-propelled), and finally replaced it with a new one -- even though the motor was fine. I'm not a fan of plastic, but Honda switched to a plastic (like) deck and it won't rust. All mower decks should be made this way.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I had the same thing happen to an old Honda pusher
After 35 years, my HR214SXA had developed a number of holes in the aluminum deck. I was able to buy a like-new used one for $75 and she lives on! 40th anniversary coming up in the spring.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Font Circle Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts