Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this thing at the dealer last year for a height control issue the shock wasnt holding and I would have to shove the track down with my foot to change the auger height. Seems as if I am starting to have the same issue minus the shock not locking part.

How many of you have had to have this part replaced more than once? They are not very cheap at the dealer, now I worry about when the warranty is up. I have debated trading it in on a Honda.

·
Registered
Ariens Platinum 24 SHO/ Yamaha YT624EJA
87 Posts
Had this thing at the dealer last year for a height control issue the shock wasnt holding and I would have to shove the track down with my foot to change the auger height. Seems as if I am starting to have the same issue minus the shock not locking part.

How many of you have had to have this part replaced more than once? They are not very cheap at the dealer, now I worry about when the warranty is up. I have debated trading it in on a Honda.
Let me ask u, are the cables touching the rubber boot? Im asking because i had issues with mine not holding and then i noticed that when they did the preparation for the machine the ran the hard cables over the shock boot. It made that the shock mechanism was engaging properly. Send a picture if u can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one is holding fine the issue is it doesnt assist. Pulling the trigger and lifting up on the handles the track should go down to the ground instead im having to shove it down with my foot. This is exactly how my last shock started to fail before it no longer held locked.

I plan to see the local dealer tomorrow and see about getting an appointment to get it replaced. Im just concerned this will continue to be a repeat issue. Once the machine is out of warranty I will have to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This one is holding fine the issue is it doesnt assist. Pulling the trigger and lifting up on the handles the track should go down to the ground instead im having to shove it down with my foot. This is exactly how my last shock started to fail before it no longer held locked.

I plan to see the local dealer tomorrow and see about getting an appointment to get it replaced. Im just concerned this will continue to be a repeat issue. Once the machine is out of warranty I will have to pay out of pocket.
Interesting. I thought they updated the shock to remedy the issue? I wonder if it's possible that your replacement shock was older stock?

The base Honda's don't seem to be as well equipped as they Yamaha's, but I bet you would have a much easier time with troubleshooting etc where they are widely sold in the the USA....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I thought they updated the shock to remedy the issue? I wonder if it's possible that your replacement shock was older stock?

The base Honda's don't seem to be as well equipped as they Yamaha's, but I bet you would have a much easier time with troubleshooting etc where they are widely sold in the the USA....

I had thought they updated or changed the shock as well. I am figuring perhaps I ended up with and older shock. If I trade the machine in it will be on a HSS724CTD A more expensive machine but im fine with that. I got a good deal on the Yamaha slightly used so I shouldnt loose much on it if I trade it in.

At this point I still havent made an appointment to have the Yamaha fixed we are currently getting snow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had thought they updated or changed the shock as well. I am figuring perhaps I ended up with and older shock. If I trade the machine in it will be on a HSS724CTD A more expensive machine but im fine with that. I got a good deal on the Yamaha slightly used so I shouldnt loose much on it if I trade it in.

At this point I still havent made an appointment to have the Yamaha fixed we are currently getting snow.
I know all too well about the snow. My family lives in St. John's....Like you, they are suckers for punishment.... Haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. I believe it is a 2016/17 model. I called the dealer and asked about the shock recall and they said there was no recall on it. They wanted $300 for a new OEM shock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sent from m[/QUOTE]
Mine is doing the same thing. I believe it is a 2016/17 model. I called the dealer and asked about the shock recall and they said there was no recall on it. They wanted $300 for a new OEM shock.
Mine just completely failed again now it wont even hold. Pretty pissed now actually. Expensive piece of equipment to have busted 2 years in a row. Mine is a 2019 model so they didnt have the issue fixed by then. When they replaced mine last year they did it under warranty not a recall. Thankfully it still has 3 years left, its still not much good to me if I cannot use it and have to replace the shock yearly.

·
Registered
Honda HS80 track drive, Honda HS80 wheel drive, Yamaha YT1070
1 Posts
I bought mine new a month ago, and from start i´ve had to put my foot on the track and lift the handles to adjust the height.
I tought it should to be that way, but i realize now that i shouldn´t accept that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought mine new a month ago, and from start i´ve had to put my foot on the track and lift the handles to adjust the height.
I tought it should to be that way, but i realize now that i shouldn´t accept that.
Sounds like something isn't set up right.

If I want mine to really really dig in on the pavement I'll pull the release and lift up on the handles a little to get the nose to dig in but I can easily adjust my auger height on the fly for the most part. It's a great feature when going over the bump at the end of the driveway or into grass or gravel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spoke to Yamaha via email and they said my machine was out of warranty.

"We can only recommend you go to a dealer for repair.
The warranty has expired nearly two and a half years ago on this unit; Yamaha is not in position to offer assistance for this repair, I’m sorry"

This summer I am going to retrofit a Honda HSS724 shock instead of buying the OEM Yamaha piece. I don't think it would take more than a couple of hours to do so, and I would save over $200. With this issue alone, I would NOT recommend Yamaha.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Spoke to Yamaha via email and they said my machine was out of warranty.

"We can only recommend you go to a dealer for repair.
The warranty has expired nearly two and a half years ago on this unit; Yamaha is not in position to offer assistance for this repair, I’m sorry"

This summer I am going to retrofit a Honda HSS724 shock instead of buying the OEM Yamaha piece. I don't think it would take more than a couple of hours to do so, and I would save over $200.
So I was checking over my machine over the weekend and I think my shock is going as well. It is slower to lower and makes noise it never made before. I removed the rubber boot to have a look and it was filled with water oddly enough. I cycled the machine up and down and noticed rusty water coming out on the shaft.

There has to be a design flaw there for sure.....

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have a YS928J that's 10 -11 yrs old. Never had an issue with shock though... If you have to get a new one, I'd try aftermarket rather than go through Atlantic Rec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm very interesting in hearing about the outcome regarding the shock issue with the YT624. I'm looking to upgrade to a new snow blower and am very interested in this model. I was pretty much decided on the Yamaha before coming across this post and now I'm a little hesitant. Is this a common issue with the newer models or could it be a bout of bad luck? Encountering this issue two years in a row would have me believe it's possibly more than bad luck. I wouldn't want to invest a significant amount of money and end up having to deal with mechanical issues so early on. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

BTW... I live in the metro St. John's area and more than likely would be purchasing it locally.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I'm very interesting in hearing about the outcome regarding the shock issue with the YT624. I'm looking to upgrade to a new snow blower and am very interested in this model. I was pretty much decided on the Yamaha before coming across this post and now I'm a little hesitant. Is this a common issue with the newer models or could it be a bout of bad luck? Encountering this issue two years in a row would have me believe it's possibly more than bad luck. I wouldn't want to invest a significant amount of money and end up having to deal with mechanical issues so early on. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

BTW... I live in the metro St. John's area and more than likely would be purchasing it locally.
First off, I'm sorry about where you live. Just kidding. My family lives there, and I lived there many moons ago when the snow wasn't so bad.

I have a 724 and the damn thing blows like crazy. My shock was working perfectly until recently. I think what happens is that water gets in behind the rubber shield, then inside the shock, rusts and causes issues. I'm going to try to lube up that shock shaft and try to get it up inside the the shock (sounds dirty lol) and see what happens.

I have no experience with Honda's (the only alternative to Yamaha if you ask me), but the things I love about the Yamaha are the easy auger height adjustment, electronic chute control, quiet motor, and compact size.

I don't like the scraper bar sitting on top of the auger housing as the bottom lip of the housing can hook on stuff.

Also keep an eye out for crooked Auger housings. Most I've seen have been a bit higher on the drivers right side. They also have units made in Japan, and China. I would go for a Japanese one but this is based on nothing in particular. Mine is a Chinese built.

Lastly, the USA doesn't get the newer Yamaha's so you won't have the same parts availability and "hacks" that you would see for the Honda's.

Good luck and let us know what you go with. My mom sent me some pics yesterday. There's an awful lot of snow down.

·
2,394 Posts

welcome to the SBF

seems yamaha has some issues with that shock as we have a few newer threads about them failing

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I guess my first question would be as follows;

Is the piston rod mounted down or up????

Mounted down with the boot and rod on the bottom it would keep
the water from pooling on the shock absorber wiper seal and it would drain away

With the rod mounted upright the water would pool on the shoulder of of the
shock absorber between the rod and inside the boot and the edge of the shock
absorbers barrel housing.

Perhaps a simple change of shock absorber brands to a higher quality shock absorber from a motor cycle brand would solve this issue since it is a "sealed gas" operated shock absorber????

If the machine is out of warranty I would not hesitate to take the old shock absorber to an automotive parts supplier to find an identical replacement for it as a shock like this is not a one all one only for a beautiful blue snow blower

All they need to do is match the barrel diameter, extended length, the rod diameter and thread size and the bushing eye diameter.

It could be as simple as finding an equivalent go cart or golf cart shock absorber for these beautiful blue snow blowers to replace the faulty ones for under $80.00.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First off, I'm sorry about where you live. Just kidding. My family lives there, and I lived there many moons ago when the snow wasn't so bad.

I have a 724 and the damn thing blows like crazy. My shock was working perfectly until recently. I think what happens is that water gets in behind the rubber shield, then inside the shock, rusts and causes issues. I'm going to try to lube up that shock shaft and try to get it up inside the the shock (sounds dirty lol) and see what happens.

I have no experience with Honda's (the only alternative to Yamaha if you ask me), but the things I love about the Yamaha are the easy auger height adjustment, electronic chute control, quiet motor, and compact size.

I don't like the scraper bar sitting on top of the auger housing as the bottom lip of the housing can hook on stuff.

Also keep an eye out for crooked Auger housings. Most I've seen have been a bit higher on the drivers right side. They also have units made in Japan, and China. I would go for a Japanese one but this is based on nothing in particular. Mine is a Chinese built.

Lastly, the USA doesn't get the newer Yamaha's so you won't have the same parts availability and "hacks" that you would see for the Honda's.

Good luck and let us know what you go with. My mom sent me some pics yesterday. There's an awful lot of snow down.

Lol. Yes, winter here are not for the faint of heart that's for sure! Winter came late this year, but when it did come it made up for lost time. I'm still leaning towards the 624. The local retailer here have been sold out since the fall. No more coming in until late spring, but I can put a deposit down on one now. My current machine is a Husqvarna ST224. It's a smaller one but it can move snow. My biggest gripe is the lack of traction. I find that I'm constantly fighting with it as the wheels keep slipping, especially when dealing with heavy snow. I want something that can reliably handle our snowfalls and is not too bulky/heavy - my wife enjoys using the snowblower on occasion. The YT624 seems to check everything on my list.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lol. Yes, winter here are not for the faint of heart that's for sure! Winter came late this year, but when it did come it made up for lost time. I'm still leaning towards the 624. The local retailer here have been sold out since the fall. No more coming in until late spring, but I can put a deposit down on one now. My current machine is a Husqvarna ST224. It's a smaller one but it can move snow. My biggest gripe is the lack of traction. I find that I'm constantly fighting with it as the wheels keep slipping, especially when dealing with heavy snow. I want something that can reliably handle our snowfalls and is not too bulky/heavy - my wife enjoys using the snowblower on occasion. The YT624 seems to check everything on my list.
I'm in Halifax and there's two on the floor at the local dealer. Maybe your dealership could have one sent over. We don't get the snow you folks do, but when we get snow it's heavy wet stink. I also have a weird set up where I have to blow the snow out my driveway and then over on the lawn. So basically I have to blow the same snow twice. Then I have to clear a spot on the lawn for our stupid Chihuahua that hates snow. The little Yamaha gobbles snow like a kid eats candy. It's also easy to store.

I don't think I would let the shock issue dissuade me from buying the Yamaha. In comparison to anything I've seen at Canadian Tire it's like comparing a Geo Metro to a Rolls Royce. The quality shows. I don't know about Honda but I don't think their base model has electronic chute control which is a requirement with my driveway set up.

You may still have traction issues depending how much bite you want from the auger. It's a light machine so even tho it has tracks it can spin a little. I've not had any issues at all with traction however.

Knowing what I know about St. John's, would you consider the 1028? It may handle the hell you guys live in a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Halifax and there's two on the floor at the local dealer. Maybe your dealership could have one sent over. We don't get the snow you folks do, but when we get snow it's heavy wet stink. I also have a weird set up where I have to blow the snow out my driveway and then over on the lawn. So basically I have to blow the same snow twice. Then I have to clear a spot on the lawn for our stupid Chihuahua that hates snow. The little Yamaha gobbles snow like a kid eats candy. It's also easy to store.

I don't think I would let the shock issue dissuade me from buying the Yamaha. In comparison to anything I've seen at Canadian Tire it's like comparing a Geo Metro to a Rolls Royce. The quality shows. I don't know about Honda but I don't think their base model has electronic chute control which is a requirement with my driveway set up.

You may still have traction issues depending how much bite you want from the auger. It's a light machine so even tho it has tracks it can spin a little. I've not had any issues at all with traction however.

Knowing what I know about St. John's, would you consider the 1028? It may handle the hell you guys live in a little better.

The 1028 would be fantastic; however, the 624 is the absolute top of my budget, so I think I'll have to rule out the 1028. I don't have a very large driveway (25'x35') and I don't mind taking my time cutting through the heavy stuff. After watching a few videos on the 624 I think it will fit my needs. I'm in no rush to get it right now, I can use my Husky for the remainder of March and early April storms (fingers crossed no April storms this year). I just put down a deposit on the 624 so I'm pretty confident it'll be chewing through the snow come next winter. Thanks for your input and my apologies for hijacking this thread with my questions. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts