Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're expecting another thread on E10, you'll be disappointed. This thread is in Snowblower Off-Topic but is (I believe) an important and timely topic: hand sanitizer and wipes.

It looks like the coronavirus may found its way into the US. If so, it's time to start thinking about prevention and very high on the list of prevention measures is the use of hand sanitizers and wipes when out and about.

However, not all hand sanitizers and wipes are equal and many (including basic Purell) may not be effective against the coronavirus. Both should be at least 60% with 70% alcohol generally recommended. But not all alcohol is created equal. Isopropyl and ethyl (ethanol) alcohol can both kill viruses and disinfect but have other characteristics so you're likely to find ethyl alcohol in hand sanitizer and isopropanol in wipes or sanitizing pads. Many stores and businesses offer wipes but if you can't determine their virus killing ability it's best to use your own.

Most important, though, is to use 70% alcohol when available.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Tony, are you going to mention a suitable brand so we don't have to start reading each and every brand on the shelf?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
CDC sez:

Clean your hands often

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

I looked at both bottles I have in my office. The CVS brand sez 62% ethyl alcohol. The Purell brand shows 70% ethyl alcohol. Both claim 'kills 99.99% of germs'.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
I thought this thread was gonna be about my favorite topic.

studies have shown with children that the cleanest children are more likely to get colds and sick because their bodies' immune system has not had a chance to get stronger by being around bugs.

I very rarely get sick, won't take the flu vaccine on the recommendation of my doctor and am around sick people all the time. I do believe in vaccinations for children . Have lived in a 3rd world country for a couple years and have seen the devastation of disease.

yes, in the coronavirus case, good proper hygiene will help. we will be seeing more and more of these viruses in years to come. too many people , too much pollution , and the world is too small a space.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tony, are you going to mention a suitable brand so we don't have to start reading each and every brand on the shelf?

Thank you.
I hope you go to the store and find "each and every brand" but I doubt that will be the case. The Wal-Mart by me has almost nothing. I visited several drug stores and found little except travel sizes of hand sanitizers and few, if any wipes. My suggestion is to stop by your local big box store, super-market, or drug store and pick something up. Alcohol content is stated predominately. Get at least 60%, preferably 70%.

But don't buy more than you need. Buying extra could mean someone else is left empty. I went to Home Depot and Lowes to pick up some N-95 respirator masks. Neither had any within 100 miles of me.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
yes, in the coronavirus case, good proper hygiene will help. we will be seeing more and more of these viruses in years to come. too many people , too much pollution , and the world is too small a space.
I dunno... Really nothing new. We've had these pandemics forever. Now they just spread more quickly due to so much more mobility. The 1917 Spanish flu followed the railways. Those in very early times were not really pandemic because they didn't make it to all continents. Another thing is instant media can make lots of people believe anything. We'll get through this one. Common sense, preparation, education and awareness will help us win.

https://www.history.com/topics/middle-ages/pandemics-timeline

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought this thread was gonna be about my favorite topic.

studies have shown with children that the cleanest children are more likely to get colds and sick because their bodies' immune system has not had a chance to get stronger by being around bugs.

I very rarely get sick, won't take the flu vaccine on the recommendation of my doctor and am around sick people all the time. I do believe in vaccinations for children . Have lived in a 3rd world country for a couple years and have seen the devastation of disease.

I agree with much of what you say even about flu shots. If you're healthy, don't mind being sick, and can skip work for a week the flu is likely to be nothing more than an inconvenience.

Coronavirus, though, is a different animal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hope you go to the store and find "each and every brand" but I doubt that will be the case. The Wal-Mart by me has almost nothing. I visited several drug stores and found little except travel sizes of hand sanitizers and few, if any wipes. My suggestion is to stop by your local big box store, super-market, or drug store and pick something up. Alcohol content is stated predominately. Get at least 60%, preferably 70%.

But don't buy more than you need. Buying extra could mean someone else is left empty. I went to Home Depot and Lowes to pick up some N-95 respirator masks. Neither had any within 100 miles of me.
Same here with the masks - luckily I have about 4 left over from a recent project. My Fiancé went to home depot and the associate said about a week ago a Chinese guy (associates words, not mine) came in and bought over $900 worth of the masks. Probably to sell them online at an inflated price. Living in NH we see this happen at our Liquor stores all the time. Full u-hauls full - especially when they do some type of gift card promotion around the holidays. They drive it down to NYC and resell them.

I understand the need to make money - but I very much dislike people that exploit a crisis to make it, while also making it impossible for everyone else to get what they need.

Please don't hoard.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Same here with the masks - luckily I have about 4 left over from a recent project. My Fiancé went to home depot and the associate said about a week ago a Chinese guy (associates words, not mine) came in and bought over $900 worth of the masks. Probably to sell them online at an inflated price. Living in NH we see this happen at our Liquor stores all the time. Full u-hauls full - especially when they do some type of gift card promotion around the holidays. They drive it down to NYC and resell them.

I understand the need to make money - but I very much dislike people that exploit a crisis to make it, while also making it impossible for everyone else to get what they need.

Please don't hoard.
Here in Canada it was reported on the news a week or two ago that most safety supply and hardware stores were out of stock of masks. It seems many people were buying up large quantities and shipping them to China. Not sure of the current stock of masks at Canadian retailers.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Keep in mind there are also a lot of studies showing that proper hand washing is more effective at preventing disease than hand sanitizer.

Sanitizer is definitely better than nothing, but washing is the "gold standard".

I should also point out that snowstorms can prevent the spread of disease by keeping people in their houses rather than congregating in large groups... are you listening, Mother Nature? :devil:

·
Read Only
871 Posts
LET'S keep this in line, as it's already looking like it will turn political north america needs ver china gread.
if so it will be closed

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
LET'S keep this in line, as it's already looking like it will turn political north america needs ver china gread.
if so it will be closed

Take heed all you "Rabble- Rousers", there's a New Sheriff in town.
:tempted:

·
Registered
106 Posts
if so it will be closed
Hopefully this isn't about my comment. I was commenting on ANYONE buying up supplies in a "crisis" situation in order to make a profit.

On another note I actually had to go to lowes today for something else and found a pack of masks in the clearance section all the way at the back ( I always check this spot for cheap stuff) - so they are still out there, and they were only $1.16 for a 3 pack.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Best advice I can give is not to freak out with social media. Get your info from larger, better know sources like the FDA, CDC, WebMD, ...
Keep yourself safe and maybe stay home a little more. Just my 2 cents and I'm no doctor.

And I thought this one was a joke until I saw a poll on the news where almost one in three Americans think Covid-19 (coronavirus) has some relation to Corona beer !! There's no relation, none, nada, zip.

·
Registered
810 Posts
yep, go to the medical agency sites for info, wash your hands often with soap and water, and most importantly (and surprisingly difficult) do not touch your face / eyes .

tx

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read a report from a physician that you should not be wearing masks as they harbor harmful germs themselves. The masks are supposed to be worn by the medical personnel that are in close contact with an infected individual. They change the mask frequently. The Surgeon General stated that the ordinary mask will not protect one from the COVID-19 virus. If you are already infected then the mask will help you stop the spread of the virus. It can be contracted by touching an object that is contaminated with the virus then touching one's eyes, nose, mouth, etc.. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. Regular hand washing is key as someone stated earlier.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep in mind there are also a lot of studies showing that proper hand washing is more effective at preventing disease than hand sanitizer.

Sanitizer is definitely better than nothing, but washing is the "gold standard".

I should also point out that snowstorms can prevent the spread of disease by keeping people in their houses rather than congregating in large groups... are you listening, Mother Nature? :devil:
I don't think there's any debate between the hand washing and sanitizers. Proper hand washing is superior to using hand sanitizers. But the problem with hand washing is that it's not always readily available or convenient. That's where hand sanitizers come in.

For example, if you're away from home or work, there is no need to wait until you return to wash your hands. Instead, it's best to use hand sanitizer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts