Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether I'm working on a snowblower or a lawnmower, if the problem is not starting or running lousy, I drain the gasoline into a clear soda bottle for two reasons.

If there is water in the gas, it will sink to the bottom of the soda bottle and you will see it.

I also want to view the color and clarity of the gasoline. Fresh gas is some what clear. As gasoline ages, it starts turning golden and then increasingly darker.

If the fresh gas has water in it, it will quickly sink to the bottom. However if the gas is old and there is water in the gas, the gas will be cloudy looking and it will take a little time for the water to separate and sink to the bottom.

I always save the gas to show to the customer. Surprised there is water in the gas and insisting they use fresh gas!

Then I put it into a 5 gallon container using it for parts cleaning and when I have 2+ 5 gallon containers, they go to the bi-annual County sponsored recycling day. (And wait in line for 90 minutes!)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great tips! Just one small suggestion, be careful using gas for cleaning parts. I'm sure my body is about 95% poisoned from the crap I've put my hands in over the years. Please wear gloves and try not to burn the garage down like I did as a kid when gas splashed onto an old style trouble light. Oh well, at least it wasn't my garage...:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
..... and try not to burn the garage down like I did as a kid when gas splashed onto an old style trouble light. Oh well, at least it wasn't my garage...:)

LOL....
Reminds me of me when I was a kid. My mom used to use old fashioned bowling alley wax on the hardwood floors. The can of course was marked "flammable!". For some reason, I just couldn't believe that it was true, so I tried lighting the wax, and a wax soaked rag that was in the can.....in the basement. :devil:

Good thing Mom was home. She actually heard the puff as it ignited, and ran downstairs to help me put it out.
That can should have been marked: "Really burns like a s.o.b.!", but then I probably still wouldn't have believed it until I tried it....:grin:
. __________________

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Good tip.

i got a stomach infection that almost killed me when i was young because i was using gas for cleaning parts or something else. however i had a nasty habit of licking my fingers once in awhile and this caused the infection. it would have been dangerous with any degreaser or cleaning solvent. so it was my fault regardless.

have had a couple close calls with gasoline so I have 4 fire extinguishers and big bags of baking soda in the garage.

i keep 3 jars in my garage to show people: fresh gas which is almost clear, a jar that is slightly yellow , and a jar that is darker color like you mentioned. i show people what age does to gasoline and why so many people complain about starting issues on the first snowfall of the season.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good tip.

i got a stomach infection that almost killed me when i was young because i was using gas for cleaning parts or something else. however i had a nasty habit of licking my fingers once in awhile and this caused the infection. it would have been dangerous with any degreaser or cleaning solvent. so it was my fault regardless.

have had a couple close calls with gasoline so I have 4 fire extinguishers and big bags of baking soda in the garage.

i keep 3 jars in my garage to show people: fresh gas which is almost clear, a jar that is slightly yellow , and a jar that is darker color like you mentioned. i show people what age does to gasoline and why so many people complain about starting issues on the first snowfall of the season.
I will never forget the one time I tried to siphon diesel fuel for my dad. Didn't time it right and got a big old slug of fuel down my throat. I was sick for quite a while!

·
Registered
102 Posts
LOL....
Reminds me of me when I was a kid. My mom used to use old fashioned bowling alley wax on the hardwood floors. The can of course was marked "flammable!". For some reason, I just couldn't believe that it was true, so I tried lighting the wax, and a wax soaked rag that was in the can.....in the basement. :devil:

Good thing Mom was home. She actually heard the puff as it ignited, and ran downstairs to help me put it out.
That can should have been marked: "Really burns like a s.o.b.!", but then I probably still wouldn't have believed it until I tried it....:grin:
. __________________

I did something like that with liquid nitrogen when I was a kid first starting in the defense business. Me; "Oh it can't be THAT cold" after I stuck my finger in it for a brief instant. Then I held my finger in for a second or 2. Ya, dumb and painful..

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A Mr. Funnel will strip the water out of the gasoline or diesel fuel if you want to use it for fuel.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
This is a great tip.... I have been doing it for quite a while, but I prefer using Glass Bottles...Usually the drink bottle, such as Nantucket Nectar's. It seems safer than plastic, plus the cap seals tighter. I got into the habit from doing 2-stroke engine repairs. When a customer brings in ANYTHING 2-Stroke, I drain the fuel(?) in front of them, while I'm writing the repair order. Many of the home owners use straight gas in their 2-Stroke equipment. I realize that it may be confusing for them, because 4-stroke wackers are much more common now. But at least if the engine is destroyed due to improper fuel, they see it before I do any testing. It eliminates any questions about what caused the damage. Plus there is no sense of it sitting in my shop if they aren't prepared to spend any money on it.

GLuck. Jay

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
My dad was an Industrial arts instructor for 35 years and gave me a good tounge lashing for using a glass bottle to carry gasoline....it seems that gas in glass builds up static electricity and will explode with the right circumstance....The tip about color is right on...I have four honda engines on dry harvest machines that I ran the gas out of the carb three years ago.....took them out to start them as I had two for sale, and drained the fuel into a clear plastic cup.....looked like weak coffee.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like the lack of an expansion factor using a glass bottle. I use clear plastic soda bottles, 1 pt, 1 lt, 2 lt, not that I drink soda. I get them out of neighbors recycling cans on recycling days.the

Plus I have an aversion to glass shrapnel if the smallest chance occurs of something going ..... astray.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'll use cleaned glass jars to drain, but I don't store the gas in them more than a day or two. I use Litehouse Salad Dressing jars (plastic lids) and fit the lid loosely just to keep them covered from dust, critters etc.

If the gas is clear/new enough, I strain it with a coffee filter right back into the tank when finished. If the machine is going to be empty for awhile, strain it into my vehicle's full gas tank. If it's obviously old, I have a plastic gas can clearly marked "old" I pour it into and then recycle.

I then rinse the heck out of the glass jar and then air dry/wash/rinse/dry it thoroughly, replace the cap and use it again next time.

Only time I use plastic for petroleum anything is draining the oil sump into a paint measuring cup (except vehicles, plastic catch basin for that). I want to know how much was actually in it. Then it goes back into my "used oil" jug, usually a quart I just emptied etc.

Two cars, boat, 5 lawn mowers, 3 snowblowers, chain saws, trimmers, pressure washers...I always have oil and gas new and old in some fashion stored. Everything has a place, everything clearly marked. I even save the receipts for when I buy gas for my small engine tank so I know whether it's old or not. It gets to the 45 day mark, into my SUV's 25 gallon tank it goes.

Anal, yeah. But I detest gas and oil issues. I hate rebuilding carbs, I hate spilling oil and gas, I hate trying to start my mowers and trimmers with old gas (they simply will not start most times).

Being anal about it stops the issues.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I don't store the glass bottles Howard Hughes style... It's merely for testing purposes on no starts, or temporary storage until the customer sees the fuel that actually came out of their machine. They are reusable and shows condition of fuel clearly.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don't think the problem is storage in glass...more the sloshing around building static electricity....I've never used glass since I was 12 and my Dad boxed my ears....I remember in Physics class with the silk cloth and glass rod making a **** of a spark....cat fur and rubber rod, hair and balloon...I don't want to take the chance Pa was wrong...BTW he had a Masters in Ed...a Masters in math, a Masters in Physics, could fix or weld or machine anything, was the best auto mechanic I've ever known, and built his own house from scratch including wiring and plumbing...and digging the foundation with a shovel. I've been trying to live up to him my whole life....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Huh, I always put stabil in my five gallon cans before filling up and then sharpie on the can as to what grade of fuel and that it's stabil treated and whether or not it's mixed, but that's usually in a one or two gallon can. Stabil keeps fuel fresh for up to 24 months but after a year if I don't use it in the mower or motorcycles then it goes into my pickup or car.

I'm really really surprised that everyone with small engines doesn't use stabil in their fuel....

And when you refill them you can erase the sharpie with a squirt of carb cleaner and a wipe. Fyi I was visiting my dad last summer and he was putting new registration on his bike and I was out next to him working on something, I squirt a shot of carb cleaner on a rag and wipe the old stickers so the new ones will stick better and it took off the year that was printed on the sticker...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts