Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with trouble lights, using a regular bulb, breaks too easily. It just takes a small knock and Boom! For years I used the heavy duty bulbs called Rough Duty. The bulb glass itself is thicker so they are more difficult to break when bumped. And they work! However there is better.I

Several years ago I was at a friend's house garage and he was using a CFL bulb (Compact Fluorescent Light) in his trouble light. He told me had been using them for years and they don't break. Of course I had to try it and see for myself. I tried using CFL bulbs around my house and l don't like the light they give off, good for a garage, not for a home, not even for a closet. (Since I've switched to LED for most of my indoor lighting with the highest K (Kelvin) wave length). But for a trouble light, CFL is terrific. I don't mind the light, it's fine, and boy has it taken some real smacks without breaking!

Reactions: gibbs296

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
High kelvin temps over 5000k are often referred to as "natural daylight" color- (natural- my butt) tend to be too harsh on most people's eyes. For the garage/work shop, I suggest 4100k, which is cool white. For inside the house, either 4100k cool white, or 3000k warm white.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have dropped many a LED fitted trouble light, and I have yet to break one. I have been purchasing them from our Dollar Store, and they have 850 Lumens.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
cfl bulbs are going the way of incandescent bulbs.....led is the way to go imho. with that said, at minus 20 , who wants to wait for a cfl to warm up enough to emit enough real light to fix something ?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cfl bulbs are going the way of incandescent bulbs.....led is the way to go imho. with that said, at minus 20 , who wants to wait for a cfl to warm up enough to emit enough real light to fix something ?
Yeah I agree, going going gone, it is a great way to use them up however they don't need any warm up time, immediately when I turn them on, they are ready to go BUT I've never used than at -20 or even freezing, is that what happens? Come this winter, I will see.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes. CFL bulbs suck below 50 degrees. A LED is a good idea. The 100 watt equivalent or even higher are cheap enough now.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
The other thing is that CFL bulbs contain mercury, which is toxic. If you break it, cleaning up the glass may be the lesser of the hazards you've created. I'm not here to gauge how dangerous that truly is, but it's something to be aware of.

Using a CFL in an application where breakage is more likely feels risky to me. An LED has several advantages, health concerns being one more.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The other thing is that CFL bulbs contain mercury, which is toxic. If you break it, cleaning up the glass may be the lesser of the hazards you've created. I'm not here to gauge how dangerous that truly is, but it's something to be aware of.

Using a CFL in an application where breakage is more likely feels risky to me. An LED has several advantages, health concerns being one more.

not anywhere near as toxic as many have been led to believe. The amount of mercury in them is safe enough for you to toss those CFL bulbs out in the trash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure if you have been using the LED bulbs that are for a trouble light. Black, flat and screw into the bulb socket. Do not need a cage around it. those work well under dash ect.. I think they are $15 to $20. I have had some problem with LED getting that beam to the right spot to see what I need to see. Least it does not burn your face when it falls on you!!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i don't have a trouble light but if i did i would run an led in it. they are so dirt cheap there is really no reason to not run them. you can pretty much get the for about $0.50/each or about $2 if you want the ones equivalent to a 100w. generally even the 60w equivalent bulbs are brighter than a standard 60w bulb especially with the light coming out the side like you would need in a trouble light. i know i have replaced all the light in my house with led's and the boob lights seemed to get a lot brighter once led's were installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts