Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Problem solved !

I tried the ramp approach suggested, but that was very cumbersome. The suggestion re an overhead hoist or block and tackle was not possible because the snowblower is sitting in a garage with a finished ceiling. The idea of slipping pipes over the ends of the handlebars is a good idea - but something else came to mind first.

Namely - I went to Harbor Freight and bought a lawn mower service lift, on sale for $99. I had been meaning to get one of these anyway, so I don't really mind the cost.

Once I got the lift assembled, raising the snowblower to about a 45 degree angle was easy, after which tipping it onto its nose was not a problem.

(with the cover plate removed, the problem with my snowblower turns out to be that the pinion shaft had egged out the hole in the side of the frame, causing the small gear to jump out of engagement with the big gear. But there is a repair kit for that, 52603500, which I have ordered)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
That's great!! I'm glad you got a working solution. And thank you for sharing it, I was not aware of those mower lifts. This is a good method to know about.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I made this stand/rest a few years ago for my Ariens. It keeps the tires about an inch higher off the ground and is as wide as the wheels on the axle. I just kick it in or out while tilting the snowblower forward. The snowblower rests on it all the time. It keeps the tires from flatspotting during storage, and allows the tires to dry after use. I can also use it for putting on chains.

It is just a rectangular frame with a vertical piece that I covered with a piece of a floor mat. The braces, it turns out, are a bit overkill and could be made with smaller dimensional lumber. It is also painted Kubota Orange as that is what I had at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read threads on this but didn't see any pics, but the wood block was a good idea. I already put some under the wheels, but tipping onto a 6x6 was useful. If you can get it up on 4x4s, you can kinda do a 'squat' (like weightlifting) and push upward lifting the machine into the service position. YMMV

21 - 25 of 25 Posts