Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fwiw ....... Today, working on a snowblower, the auger was just a tad sloppy left and right ..... I did not really want to put a steel washer on each side, and did not have any plastic washers. So, I took a pvc conduit with the same ID as the auger shaft and cut off my own small spacer washer. Worked great.

Always good to have a selection of PVC, CVP, and other piping to quickly fabricate washers and spacers.

Also, always good to have artists brushes for paint scratch touch up, as well as to lubricate hard to reach areas or gears.

Also, always good to keep your empty gallon plastic milk jugs.. Makes it easy to transport waste oil to local station or recycle facility.

Also, always have sandwich zip bags for bag-n-tag nuts, bolts screws, etc. ... As well as masking tape to label.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whenever you have no room, and have to start a bolt with a socket, place a piece of masking tape in the socket, push in the nut, and carefully screw it in ... Just make sure not to cross thread it.

Also, every shop needs those cheap magnetic dishes ... They come in assorted sizes ... I like the 4 and 6 inch ones. They hold your screws, nuts, bolts, etc., Instead of losing them and wondering where they went.

Also, if you have a stripped out carriage bolt square hole, use a serrated washer over the carriage bolt, or even use an Allen carriage bolt ( Allen drive cap screw)

Oh, and never work on equipment on a lawn if you can avoid it ... You'll never find the dropped screw, pin, nut, etc. in the grass.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dollar store is good for a lot of items, especially plastic oil drain pans, little dust pans, etc., Etc...... Also Walmart.

By the way, clean a little brush real quick with a squirt of carb cleaner over your waste basket. Just make sure you are always wearing safety glasses when spraying carb cleaner.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have many machines runnning with the less expensive aftermarket carbs just great ... Even my new Cub Cadet has an aftermarket carb ... I never had one fail me yet. (Usually Amazon, or Ebay ) Corroded carburetors is propbably the number one reason for small machine failures. 12-18.00 for a new replacement works for me every time .. :)

Pegboard over your work bench is a must, and anywhere else is good if you have the room.

Slide a piece of 1 1/2 PVC pipe over a peg board hook and fill it with your zip ties for easy access.

Definatly want to have a hose reel mounted for your air hose.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Yanmar,

Agreed ... I would also recommend at least a 30 gallon tank or above ( 60 gallon is the gold, but many don't have the room, electrical, or dollars for such a beast)... I have a 33 gallon in my shop, and another 20 gallon up in my garage for tires, blow gun, etc....

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick tip I thought I would mention, which I just came across again ......

If you ever have to replace a hexagon or round bushing, or even a bearing, into a flanged opening in the side of the body housing, and it is loose fitting, take a punch and tap the flange opening edges inward slightly. This will close up the opening slightly, enough to give the bushing/bearing a snug fit.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Was working on a cast iron gearbox and had a heck of a time keeping the worm gear key on the impeller shaft in place as the worm gear is sliding in place as the auger axle is introduced through the side ......

Solution: applied a little gel super glue to the key, put it in place and did a dry run with the impeller worm gear ..... then marked the worm gear for the keyway slot on the teeth .... kept the key in place and easily lined up the gear as I inserted the auger shaft. Just no space in a side cover cast gear box, but very well built.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thought I would mention ..... when looking to replace a bushing, without beating the thing out of the body casing, just use a threaded rod or large bolt, couple washers, and a couple sockets, with one being just larger than the bushing, and the other being slightly smaller than the bushing ..... just run the rod through and tighten .... makes your own little portable press.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts