Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Very bouncy... I've been told that they can shake things loose. Yet another reason I like tracks; with such a large contact area they have excellent traction with very smooth operation.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Once, many years ago, I was given a blower that I put back in shape that had the lawn tires with chains on it. After just one outing with it bouncing the machine and me to death, I immediately took them off, put on SnowHog Tires, and never looked back, excellent traction. I now use the XTrac Tire, with some still having the SnowHogs that I did not wear out yet.

JMHO

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've used chains for 40 yrs. I didn't know about XTrac tires until this forum. I put new chains on this fall because I ran out of time this yr. I will put XTrac tires on next spring when I paint the machine. I don't mind the chains, but will try new tires. 40 years and no problems related to chains.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I go blowing off-road, cutting a path to the back shed, the factory tires on my ariens 1124 weren't cutting it in deep snow. So on went the chains - I've never looked back.
Honestly, I don't notice the much-maligned "bouncing" on pavement and brick. Maybe I'm a insensitive snot?
But, even though the chains have been a game changer for what I do I don't doubt the X-trac tire types work well. These weren't available to me at the time.
I would love a side-by-side comparison between generic tires, X-trac type, and turf tires with chain.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
40 years and never needed them on any of the blower,s. yet on the lawn tractor i found the stock every 4th link was hard/bouncy on the body added links to make them every other which helped big time making for a smoother ride

seems the newer machine snow threads handle the job way better and don't need chains,at least IMM ,

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think chains work great. I have a really old Toro 826 (the model with individual wheel clutches) which has cleated tires. These tires had no traction in snow; rendering the machine into a non-functional state (the machine's auger couldn't dig into a snowbank at all). After I installed tire chains on the Toro, the machine was transformed into a beast.

There are several varieties of tire chains available (e.g. 2-link, 4-link). The #links dictates cross-chain spacing. Lighter gauge chains (smaller links) should be used on turf saver tires such as supplied with the Ariens 10,000 series machines. These chains provide the traction necessary to operate on steeper inclines and to push through deep snow.

The really heavy gauge (large links) chains are for snow hog tires. Their big links enable the chains to sit above the height of the tire tread knobs. These heavy gauge chains may not be the best choice for turf saver tires that will be operated on a paved surface. The heavy gauge chain will really be overkill in this application unless the snow is sufficiently deep to provide a soft operating surface. If you're operating on a gravel driveway, the snow hog tire chains won't cause the machine to bounce around.

On my old Ariens 10,000 series with turf saver tires, I installed the 2-link snow hog tire chains. It's nearly impossible to push the machine across my garage's concrete floor. The tires tend to skid rather than roll. When the machine is operated on my gravel driveway, there is no lack of traction or vibration.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
I have gotten chains on a number of machines I've purchased over the years, all kinds of tire styles here. One set went onto the Searsasaurus because of the amount of ice I encountered one year. Not one of the machines I had at the time with various style tires was able to maintain forward motion with any style tires on it. I put chains on the Searsasaurus and never looked back. No problem for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts