Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would pass on a trick that we have done for snowblowers needing traction on ice where chains fail because of heavy lug tires or auto turn problems.

Motorcycle ice racing screw studs work perfect as they can be installed on the high lug portion of the tire, and you do not have the thump thump thump, and as well installed evenly on both tires they do not interfere with the auto turn feature found on some Ariens blowers.
You can buy a package of 250 for around $20.00 and can be installed with a cordless drill and bit in no time.
KOLD KUTTER ice studs work well and come in different lengths.

Have used them on many machines.

Actually my favorite ice fishing boots have them installed as well!!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Does the machine bounce up and down? Go thump thump thump?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
That sounds pretty awesome, I'll bet they work great. I think I'd be too chicken of tearing up my driveway when turning (or spinning a wheel). And/or having one fall out, and getting stuck in a car tire. But it's a great solution to know about, thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chains actually tear up more that these do, and we have never had one come out on its own on the snow blowers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The M C screws sound great , especially on glare ice . My concerns are about slushey snow, where chains are sorely needed . How would they work on Garden Tractors ? My JD 111 has the winters off, the [ rear ] chains grip, the front tires mindlessly plow, and do not respond to steering input . I wish I thought of that when I had a Snow Caster equipt tractor . The steering wasn't bad if you fully [ over ] inflate the front tires .

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I tried them in the tracks of my hondas. I was thinking better traction in the icy freezing rain conditions which worked great. However I found them to be too much in regular conditions. I removed them due to fear of damaging my tracks or transmission. Im sure they would be great in wheel tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts