Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I have a Troy Bilt 21" snow king with the Tecumseh 5HP engine. The trans is not giving much poser and can't move the snowthrower anymore. It is a peerless tranny.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to find the manual here - - > http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayOwnersManualList?storeId=10001&catalogId=14102&langId=-1&logoCode=02&modelNumber=42000

He's suggesting you check the tension on the drive BELT, not the transmission drive chain.

Is the drive axle loose, the one with the wheels attached. Are the bushings it rides in worn badly ??

Thank you.. The drive wheels seem fine, nice and tight. bushings look bad but seem tight.

After Taking a second look, I don't thing the drive chain is the problem. She's just tired. I'm guessing the transmission needs to be retired. When I shift into 1, 2 or 3 or R, it's just so slow and listless. Too bad cause the motor is going like the wind. It's a good motor.

Hmm... a new tranny is $220 here. and I don't know if it's a plug n play or if the install is complicated to put in the new replacement tranny... or a new one can be had with electric start for $600....hmm decisions

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you.. The drive wheels seem fine, nice and tight. bushings look bad but seem tight.

After Taking a second look, I don't thing the drive chain is the problem. She's just tired. I'm guessing the transmission needs to be retired. When I shift into 1, 2 or 3 or R, it's just so slow and listless. Too bad cause the motor is going like the wind. It's a good motor.
Not the chain, the belt that the engine drives. Pull the belt cover off the top of the blower. Check the belt 'R' around pulley 'Y':

Check the tension adjustment, the idler, tensioner adjustment etc:

·
Registered
765 Posts
You guys are [email protected]

Thanks a lot. Where can I get replacement parts?
Get your machine name plate info handy. Model number and serial number.

1. Local Power equipment dealer.
2. Jacks small engine . com is a good on line source with good parts and diagram listings.

If you know your part numbers for certain you can get the best deal on ebay. But you need to have confidence you have the right belt sizes. If you are not confidant take the 1 or 2 approach.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts