Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old machines all seem to have what some call "lawn" tires. They don't have much traction in snow without chains. But chains are a pain. On the other hand the "snow" tires are claimed to have adequate traction without chains.

Since the old tires usually leak due to having sat flat, I have a choice between buying tubes (plus chains?) vs buying snowblower tires. Which would you suggest? Any particular model or brand most desirable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Since the old tires usually leak due to having sat flat, I have a choice between buying tubes (plus chains?) vs buying snowblower tires. Which would you suggest? Any particular model or brand most desirable?
Current state of the art and the tire that all premium snowblower manufacturers use, is the Carlisle X-Trac. I have them on my Ariens Platinum and only have had problems when on ice (but then again, so do I).
Re:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-X-Trac-Specialty-Tire-13X4-6-LRA-2ply/151182562?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228050355480&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=145220189470&wl4=pla-259992672179&wl5=9016241&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=151182562&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_5rtBRDxARIsAJfxvYClgEt0H0_x2ulnLHsqQT2FgQCJZTMrkSfqpwaNc6H2CzXGoSC65dEaAnuIEALw_wcB

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Chains are not needed, some people use chains on lawn tires, but that beats the **** out of the machine. Many years ago I tried chains, immediately took them off and put the proper tires on.

I have Snowhogs on many of mine, and they work just fine, but I have moved over to the beefier, and the more aggressive XTrac.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chains are not needed, some people use chains on lawn tires, but that beats the **** out of the machine. Many years ago I tried chains, immediately took them off and put the proper tires on.

I have Snowhogs on many of mine, and they work just fine, but I have moved over to the beefier, and the more aggressive XTrac.

OK, I'm convinced. Will order a pair of Xtracs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Try to avoid chains as much as possible. They will destroy your drive-train in a short time from the shock of them when they hit the ground acting like a wedge between the tire and the ground every time they contact the ground. Not only that, they will tear up your tires causing premature wear, they can also tear up the ground surface and put scratch marks on it, especially if you have a newly sealed driveway.
When you are just pushing/freewheeling/coasting the snowblower with chains on it you will notice it in your handlebars/hands. Just think what that is doing to your drive train, your axle bearings, shaft bearings, drive chains and gears and the constant shock/jerking to the chassis frame and the shaking of the rest of the machine.
It would be different if they are mounted to a tractor that is plowing snow that drives on ice at a greater speed, but a walk-behind snowblower doesn't go that fast as you are hand controlling it. Those tires are just to propel it into the snow pile so it can do its work breaking up and throwing the snow away, not bulldozing it away like a snowplow would that would need the extra traction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts