Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefuly this belongs here. I, have a older snapper, that one tire keeps going flat. Took it to get a tube put in it. Picked it up about 3 days later, put it on, then put the blower in the corner of the garage. About two weeks later I noticed it leaning, Yep, the tire was flat. Took it back, expilined what happen. Picked it up about 5 days later. I, noticed the valve stem was crooked. Whoever worked on it did not aling the stem with the hole in the rim very well. Just shook my head and took it home. I, should have said some thing, but the drive from home to the shop and back, is kind of far. I, would have done the work my self, but I, could not get the tire to berak down. How do you guys break down your tires. Does any one have any tips for the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I use the mini tire changer from Harbor Freight, but I do a lot of tire changes ..... There is other stuff you need as well , like tire lube, stem puller, extra stems, ratchet strap, etc..... Tubes if not working with tubeless rims.

There is a learning curve associated with changing small tires, and most don't do it enough to merit buying a tire changer, or some just don't mind fighting with them with tire irons, but I have seen many little rims and tires ruined that way.

Very easy to pinch a tube and ruin it if your not careful changing one on a small tire.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
i usually just use a pry bar to remove/install tires. having the changer is nice to anchor the rim to and give you something to pry on but not necessarily needed. just have to watch out for the tube when re-installing the tire like Oneacer mentioned.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
My local tire store charges me $10 for the tube, I put in an additional $10 to their lunch pot. $20 no frustration. I like to do things myself but I'm not sure about how easy it is using the HF tire changer.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most times I find the the valve stem can be straightened by deflating the tube and gently wiggling the stem back and forth till it is back where it belongs. Just make sure you keep a tight grip on the stem when the air is out so it doesn't slip inside. I use a small visegrip to hold it till I reinflate.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I like to do things myself but I'm not sure about how easy it is using the HF tire changer
its really not that hard. there is lots of video's on youtube showing how to use them. it is about the same as using a manual tire changer for a car but just on smaller rims.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Anyone ever try using their wood splitter? Seems like the perfect tool for tires maybe.
do you mean like this? you could modify 1 to make it break beads but that is all it could do and it would really be a waste. i have seen people use log splitters to crush rims to get tires off rims quicker for scrap purposes but that is it and you are definitely not saving anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ya that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm thinking it would much easier to get a tire on a crushed rim. Prolly wouldn't even need lube.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I've found breaking the bead is not the problem, getting it off the rim and worse getting it on is the PIA. Old Timers trick to break the bead is run your car over the tire.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
i have really only found a few rims that are nearly impossible to get tires on and off of and those rims would be my factory dodge plane steel rims. most other rims are not that bad. you just have to practice using a manual tire changer. the tire changer makes things easier because it holds the rim and it gives you something to pry on and make running the tool around the edge easier. i did one just the other day

1 - 14 of 14 Posts