Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 YEARS AGO I SOLD MY WHITE(MTD) SNOWBLOWER TO A GOOD FRIEND THAT LIVES NEAR CLEVAND OHIO BY LAKE ERIE AND IT GETS PLENTY OF USE AND TO THIS DAY HE STILL HAS NOT HAD ONE ISSUE AT ALL.People like to bash MTD and that snowblower is as good as anything out there.So please let all the bashing go in one ear and out the other ear and enjoy your MTD'S

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^Ditto. My circa 1988 Craftsman is an MTD and is pretty solid and well built but the new MTD products are no longer built to the same spec. Not that with typical homeowner use you can't use them and keep them going but not built to last like they once were.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe the 20 or 30 year old ones were good machines. Most of the bashing is about the newer ones. Sears was great company in the old days. How many people will agree about the new company?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I just took in trade a 2005 Yardman (MTD) with a 9 hp Tech and 26 inch bucket. This machine has had absolutely no maintence since new....not even oil change. the skids were worn out the scraper was gone, and the paint was flaking. That said, with an oil change, new scraper and skids, transmission lube and adjustment and some paint on the bucket, its ready to go back to work and looks great. 13 years of snow clearing a 50 ft by 15 ft drive in New England and no input but gas. Are they my favorite? no...but they do the job and for cheap money....that's why they sell so many.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
They are Fairly Decent Machines, and Easy to Work on. The Weak Spot is Lack of Steel in the Auger Housing, Notably in the Shoe Area. When you Tip One into Service Position, the Weak Steel Bends. And the Auger Cables Break. I used an 8-26 for about 15 Seasons with No Problems.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There's nothing wrong with MTD, new, old, or otherwise. Yeah, the metal is a little thinner, maybe they use sleeve instead of ball bearings on the auger, whatever, but for the money, they do what they have to do for the money people will pay. You can pick up a brand new MTD for $600. Try to get a used (fill in the blank with favorite brand) for that.

It's like anything else in life, clothes, cars, tools, whatever, having what is considered a "status symbol" makes people feel better about themselves. It's alright, it does get annoying when it gets to a religious pitch. I like to needle those people, it's fun. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
There's nothing wrong with MTD, new, old, or otherwise. Yeah, the metal is a little thinner, maybe they use sleeve instead of ball bearings on the auger, whatever, but for the money, they do what they have to do for the money people will pay. You can pick up a brand new MTD for $600. Try to get a used (fill in the blank with favorite brand) for that.

It's like anything else in life, clothes, cars, tools, whatever, having what is considered a "status symbol" makes people feel better about themselves. It's alright, it does get annoying when it gets to a religious pitch. I like to needle those people, it's fun. :D
I hear you, the extent that some are so emotionally invested in their brand is surprising. To the point that they will make personal attcks and contradict their own prior posts to defend the label. Thankfully it's only one or two I could say I've seen (really one) in my limited time here and all in all it's great to have the knowledge base here.

And I agree about MTD but only to a point. My MTD (Troy Bilt) Lawn Tractor/Mower runs and cuts pretty good and has some cool looking plastic cladding and big tires to make it look beefy and tough but things they will expect plastic to do is unbelievable.

The metal is thin and the design is sometimes downright awful. Ex. the blade brakes are almost new on one side because the pad doesn't actually hit the braking surface. Never could and never will because it can't be adjusted. So it's slowly grinding the metal. Now I turn the rpms down as low as possible before disengaging the blades to minimize the damage but sheesh. I could go on.

So it's not for status that I generally avoid the brand for new purchases. And they sell all kinds of snow blades and other attachments that the little CVT trans and trans axle could never withstand.

But you're right they have their place. Anyways rant over. They do make for good stream of curbside finds if you can do you're own repairs and maybe a little re-engineering. Ask my backpack blower.

·
Registered
871 Posts
for the average driveway im sure theyre fine, price is equated to quality but its not a ripoff and u pay for what u get.
it blows snow for the average home owner w/the average driveway without taking out a 2nd mortgage. with maintance it will last as long as the owners willing to maintain it and if parts are still available.
imo ymmv

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I hear you, the extent that some are so emotionally invested in their brand is surprising. To the point that they will make personal attcks and contradict their own prior posts to defend the label. Thankfully it's only one or two I could say I've seen (really one) in my limited time here and all in all it's great to have the knowledge base here.
Yep. I agree there. it's not an overwhelming thing. I still like to tease them though. "give us the criteria and we'll tell you which (fill in the brand) to buy".... It's funny. And what's even more funny is when they get mad you point it out, kinda validates the point.

And I agree about MTD but only to a point. My MTD (Troy Bilt) Lawn Tractor/Mower runs and cuts pretty good and has some cool looking plastic cladding and big tires to make it look beefy and tough but things they will expect plastic to do is unbelievable.

The metal is thin and the design is sometimes downright awful. Ex. the blade brakes are almost new on one side because the pad doesn't actually hit the braking surface. Never could and never will because it can't be adjusted. So it's slowly grinding the metal. Now I turn the rpms down as low as possible before disengaging the blades to minimize the damage but sheesh. I could go on.

So it's not for status that I generally avoid the brand for new purchases. And they sell all kinds of snow blades and other attachments that the little CVT trans and trans axle could never withstand.

But you're right they have their place. Anyways rant over. They do make for good stream of curbside finds if you can do you're own repairs and maybe a little re-engineering. Ask my backpack blower.
I know what you're saying, that's all true. I don't know how big your lot is or how much you're asking it to do, but it may be beyond its design parameters. If you're trying to do 2 acres with an MTD, I'd say that's the wrong machine. If you're doing 1/4 acre, different story.

No excuse for that poorly aligned blade brake. I wonder if that's an isolated thing, or typical.

Thing is, MTD puts out a lot of machines, and the higher the volume, by definition the more QC problems are going to exist. Is this any worse than the metal found in gas tanks in Ariens blowers?

Right tool for the right job.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Is Murray MTD?
Yes it is
No it isnt. ;) Murray has never been part of MTD. (not for snowblowers anyway.)

They started out as the Murray bicycle company in 1919, Not sure when they started making snowblowers, 1970's perhaps.

Then in 1988 they were aquired by a British company, then in 1993 the snowblower line was aquired by Noma, and we had Murray/Noma snowblowers for a time.

Then in 2005 they were purchased by Briggs & Stratton, and Murray snowblowers were made by B&S starting in 2005.

I think Briggs might have dropped the Murray name on snowblowers, perhaps just this year.

Scot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing wrong with my MTD Troy-Bilt.
Agreed.....I have several Troy-bilt units with no problems at all. If you maintain your equipment properly...and do preventive maintenance....they give good value for money. It can be hit and miss with snow where I live.....I just can’t justify a high end piece of equipment that may hardly get used in a season.
My opinion.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't mind the bashing. It makes most things with a mtd label cheaper than it deserves to be.

And they sell all kinds of snow blades and other attachments that the little CVT trans and trans axle could never withstand.
That's what the fancy tractor owners like to tell me, but I just keep pushing snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Agreed.....I have several Troy-bilt units with no problems at all. If you maintain your equipment properly...and do preventive maintenance....they give good value for money. It can be hit and miss with snow where I live.....I just can’t justify a high end piece of equipment that may hardly get used in a season.
My opinion.
then you should buy a USED high end machine, at least that's what I hear. :devil:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
then you should buy a USED high end machine, at least that's what I hear. :devil:
Shhh.... Someone's gotta buy new high-end equipment before one of us bottom feeders can buy it for pennies on the dollar. :cool:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.