Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys may get a kick out this one. This was at my brother in laws house, I was using the Toro I picked up for him last year. I eventually switched over to my Ariens with the drift cutter for obvious reasons.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
He had better be generous with the thanks for getting him that blower!
Imagine having to shovel all that :D

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
He needs to pay you with a nice, warm pair of mittens. You remind me of me Ray. I don't wear them very often. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
That was not a fair fight for a 5hp Toro. The Ariens is 10hp, right? Would the Toro have faired better with drift cutters? Either way that amount of snow is a challenge for most blowers.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was not a fair fight for a 5hp Toro. The Ariens is 10hp, right? Would the Toro have faired better with drift cutters? Either way that amount of snow is a challenge for most blowers.
Nope, the Ariens is an all original 6 hp tecumseh. As for the rest of the blower, only added a differential axle and new x-tracs, no other mods. That H60 runs like a 10 hp though. And yes, if I put a drift cutter on the Toro it would've helped, but that was about all the little 5 hp could handle!

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
looks like your drift cutters need some extensions

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, the Ariens is an all original 6 hp tecumseh. As for the rest of the blower, only added a differential axle and new x-tracs, no other mods. That H60 runs like a 10 hp though. And yes, if I put a drift cutter on the Toro it would've helped, but that was about all the little 5 hp could handle!
Amazing what 1hp extra can do. Did you have to stay in the granny gear most of the time? Do you know if the impellers (and housings) are the same size. As you know the larger the impeller housing the larger the volume of snow that can be moved. Nice job getting out and helping family.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing what 1hp extra can do. Did you have to stay in the granny gear most of the time? Do you know if the impellers (and housings) are the same size. As you know the larger the impeller housing the larger the volume of snow that can be moved. Nice job getting out and helping family.
I do keep the Ariens in first or second gear most of the time, I try not to overload the old girl, but honestly the more snow that gets in the bucket the better it throws. I think the old H60 has more torque than the newer tecumseh on the Toro so maybe that helps it out too. They are both 24" buckets, but the augers on the Ariens take up the whole bucket, the Toro's are definitely smaller.
And thanks for the compliment, my brother in law is FDNY and was stuck in the city at work for the whole storm. With two small kids at home, it was the least I could do to help him out. I know he would do the same for me (at least I hope he would, lol)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ray,

That's just plain NICE. A 50 year young machine knocking out of the park like that. I'm almost jealous of that amount of snow... But only for the first pass or two.

And helping out your BIL and his family while he was active keeping the public at large safe. Kudos to you!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Ray, do you happen to have a model number for the drift cutter? I wouldn't mind adding one to my 1961. After the latest blizzard I found blowing the sidewalk gets a little rough when the snow is about halfway above the bucket.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yup those large block H60's (and even the H50&40's) seem to have more guts than the small block HS engines.

One thing that I find strange about your pics though; how can there be so much dang snow on the ground and so little on the roof of the house? That has me befuddled.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Ray, do you happen to have a model number for the drift cutter? I wouldn't mind adding one to my 1961. After the latest blizzard I found blowing the sidewalk gets a little rough when the snow is about halfway above the bucket.
Hey Ryan, I don't have the part number, but a quick check on eBay and I found this...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361198514390

Or I would try jackmels, I'm sure he has plenty around. I think they are pretty universal.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup those large block H60's (and even the H50&40's) seem to have more guts than the small block HS engines.

One thing that I find strange about your pics though; how can there be so much dang snow on the ground and so little on the roof of the house? That has me befuddled.
The wind was blowing all day, 40-50 mph gusts so I guess it blew it all off the roof. His house must be in a vortex because I think he had more snow than anyone on the block, lol.

·
Registered
550 Posts

The H block has a longer stroke compared to the HS, so it will make more torque at a lower rpm. Just don't rev up an H over 3600, bad things can happen. The HS like to wind up, not good for snow-blowers, great for minibikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts