Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread about our favorite items. Tools
This item was given to me by the gentleman for whom I rebuilt a HS50 snow blower for. Although in its day it might have been a very handy tool, and it does do slightly more, it seems to me to be a large multi-meter. It came with an assortment of leads, a manual, a negative battery post adapter, spark plug adapters and high current jumpers.

Font Measuring instrument Technology Electronic device Gas

I'll start with this one. Go ahead and post yours.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
German made Knipex pliers are worth their weight in gold. Pricey.
My son who is a Millwright totally agrees with you.
I have made my living with Channel Lock and Klein tools so I find it hard to justify spending more money on tools that I already have.
However you never know.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
A few handy tools for the garage.

Extra long small flat screw driver, handy for carb adjustments
Extendable magnet
Slotted screw starter
Nut splitter
Right angle flat blade screw driver
Push punch
Thirst quenching tool

Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Household hardware Bicycle part

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few handy tools for the garage.

Extra long small flat screw driver, handy for carb adjustments
Extendable magnet
Slotted screw starter
Nut splitter
Right angle flat blade screw driver
Push punch
Thirst quenching tool

View attachment 196312
That push punch looks like a Starret box or is it another brand? I used Starrett tools in a prior career making tooling. As for that thirst quenching tool they are getting harder to find with twist top bottles nowadays. Never did get around to buying a nut splitter.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
Learned the hard way on cheap shop tools.

drill bits for example. I need HSS bits so I pay for quality. bought a Drill Hog set....was disappointed and told them so ....so they sent me their "Premium" set and was disappointed with them as well.

My Dad gave me some quality HSS bits that work great. Don't know the brand.

If anyone here has a recommendation for great drill bits , let me know.......and not ones that work great for 3-4 times and then get dull ( I do use cutting oil ). I don't need a set. I only need 3-4 specific sizes .
I have had good luck with quality Dewalt bits.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
I'm not a full time professional shop so don't need "Super" tools like Snapon.
I'm in gargae maybe 2 hours a day.

I really like Tekton tools . Torque wrenches . Mini plier set , and more. They hold up well. Located in USA with Lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Learned the hard way on cheap shop tools.

drill bits for example. I need HSS bits so I pay for quality. bought a Drill Hog set....was disappointed and told them so ....so they sent me their "Premium" set and was disappointed with them as well.

My Dad gave me some quality HSS bits that work great. Don't know the brand.

If anyone here has a recommendation for great drill bits , let me know.......and not ones that work great for 3-4 times and then get dull ( I do use cutting oil ). I don't need a set. I only need 3-4 specific sizes .
I have had good luck with quality Dewalt bits.
When I worked at making tooling we used Cleavland, Ace, and in Canada Butterfield. I don’t know if they are still making them now though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not a full time professional shop so don't need "Super" tools like Snapon.
I'm in gargae maybe 2 hours a day.

I really like Tekton tools . Torque wrenches . Mini plier set , and more. They hold up well. Located in USA with Lifetime guarantee.
Bought a 3/4” drive set of Tekton sockets I and am really impressed. Maximum brand socket sets at Canadian Tire are great quality and have lifetime warranty’s. We used mostly Proto tools in industry.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This tiny VIM Tools HBR8 8" long double ended 1/4" & 5/16" ratchet wrench / hexdriver for reaching into impossible places... Like to remove the BMW E46 hood latches through the front grills after the release cable breaks. I ground a Torx hex bit down until it barely stuck out of the 1/4" hex drive and JUST snuck it into place to break the latch bolts free.
Rectangle Horizon Sky Parallel Monochrome photography

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I used a 1/4” drive set in the 1980s although it was only 4” long. Craftsman makes a 3/8” drive set. What brand are your set?
My personal full-size sockets and ratchets are Proto, S-K Tools, & Craftsman. I also have some Pittsburgh-Pro items in odd sizes from Harbor Freight. At the island, I have a GM Goodwrench set, and at the lake a Master Mechanic set. At work I have an older Kmart Benchtop Tools set.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My full-size sockets and ratchets are Proto, S-K Tools, & Craftsman. I also have some Pittsburgh-Pro items in odd sizes from Harbor Freight. At the island, I have a GM Goodwrench set, and at the lake a Master Mechanic set.
I was wondering what brand of gear wrench you had in the picture of your previous post?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts