Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a neighbor whose electric start stopped working. On disassembly, it looked like the brushes were well past their service life, and additionally cranking too long had heated the plastic ways the brushes slide in enough to deform one of them so that the brush was stuck.
I've found a source for the brushes, but I'm stumped as to how these starters were assembled. The brush holder assembly is screwed from the inside into the motor end cap; the whole assembly comes off the commutator as a unit.as a unit There are no outer brush holder screw caps.
I'm testing out using fine thread to pull back the brush springs and then cut and pull out the threads once the armature is slipped in----I don't have high hopes it will work, and I can't imagine how the factory assembly was done. Seems like a very poor design!
Any suggestions would be most welcome!!!!!

Product Watch Jewellery Corded phone Auto part

· Premium Member
13,900 Posts
They had a very special setup to put those brushes in at the factory. Which will remain a X-File forever. Those starters are pretty much non serviceable. From a persons perspective. Try and find a shop that fixes starters and other electronic stuff in your hood. Because as it sits now, It nothing more than a paper weight. ALOHA!!!!!!!

· Registered
434 Posts
Do the carbon brushes have a hole in their side? Is there a corresponding hole on the motor end-frame? My Honda Gold Wing had this type of arrangement in the brush rigging.

Push the brush into the brush box to compress the spring until the respective holes align and insert a toothpick etc. to gag the brush.

· Registered
2,721 Posts
Find a used starter, and stop wasting your time.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They had a very special setup to put those brushes in at the factory. Which will remain a X-File forever. Those starters are pretty much non serviceable. From a persons perspective. Try and find a shop that fixes starters and other electronic stuff in your hood. Because as it sits now, It nothing more than a paper weight. ALOHA!!!!!!!
The "shop that fixes starters and other electronic stuff in {my} hood" is in my basement ;-)
As far as serviceable, SMD electronics fit that category, but starter motors? Hey, they sell the brushes, (unless I'm looking at a dead Web link) so.....
Somebody figured out how to put them together, d*mn it

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the carbon brushes have a hole in their side? Is there a corresponding hole on the motor end-frame? My Honda Gold Wing had this type of arrangement in the brush rigging.

Push the brush into the brush box to compress the spring until the respective holes align and insert a toothpick etc. to gag the brush.
nope....that would be too easy ;-(

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helping a neighbor whose electric start stopped working. On disassembly, it looked like the brushes were well past their service life, and additionally cranking too long had heated the plastic ways the brushes slide in enough to deform one of them so that the brush was stuck.
I've found a source for the brushes, but I'm stumped as to how these starters were assembled. The brush holder assembly is screwed from the inside into the motor end cap; the whole assembly comes off the commutator as a unit.as a unit There are no outer brush holder screw caps.
I'm testing out using fine thread to pull back the brush springs and then cut and pull out the threads once the armature is slipped in----I don't have high hopes it will work, and I can't imagine how the factory assembly was done. Seems like a very poor design!
Any suggestions would be most welcome!!!!!

View attachment 207703
FWIW, I have considered driving out the roll pin on the Bendix, since, while it would be "fiddly"
(that's the non-profanity laden description), I could probable ease the commutator past the brushes....

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If there isn't a pinhole or something to hold the brushes back while the rotor is put in, then maybe this excerpt from the yamaha manual will give you some ideas as how to assemble it.
View attachment 207772
thanks....that might could have come in handy.....except it's a four brush setup, so not quite as easy as all that (and I expect I'd have to pull off the Bendix end because the armature/case would be in the way of a "tilt in".....

· Registered
2,721 Posts
well, snarky, that wasn't the point....the point was I'd be happy to buy a new used one, but it probably would still need brushes....
I'm still kicking myself over losing the link for a new one....
Well. ye of little knowledge of how to search for things, Briggs & Stratton 299556 110 120 Volt Electric Starter American Bosch SME 110-C6 | eBay And a new one below

1 - 20 of 23 Posts