Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowblower new to me two years ago...

The auger was always engaged regardless of whether I had the handle pulled or not. I figured the previous owner just had the wrong size belt on.

When changing the belts this summer (because I was too lazy LAST summer) I noticed A LOT of play on the auger pulley.

So I changed the impeller bearing...See picture...

Took apart the auger gearbox and used a liquid gasket because it was leaking a bit when I put gear oil in. Everything looked brand new in there.

Got the auger housing welded in two quarter spots where it was starting to crack by the bottom mount on both sides.

Finally I did the impeller modification with some 3/8 inch rubber.

My snowblower is a 1990 model 38580. I was wondering if I have it long enough to replace the impeller bearing again for the impeller, would this be a better replacement?

SBPF205-14 Pressed Steel Housing Bearing 3-Bolt Flanged Mounted

Attachments

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
if it is a POWERSHIFT that is the bearing you use. if everthing lines up right in there you should get 10 years out of it. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I read the thread on adding LED lights. I didn't see anything for my machine specifically.
What would I need to do to add them to my 1132 powershift?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read up a bit. So looks like I'd need to install an alternator. Is this a pretty straightforward add?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After thinking about it, that was what I was hoping.
Although when I read the manual, it stated that Toro typically does not install alternators on non-headlight machines so I wasn't sure.
My machine is serial 0000552 so maybe on the early ones they did it?
Thanks again for the replies.

·
9,612 Posts
After thinking about it, that was what I was hoping.
Although when I read the manual, it stated that Toro typically does not install alternators on non-headlight machines so I wasn't sure.
My machine is serial 0000552 so maybe on the early ones they did it?
Thanks again for the replies.
there is a stator under the flywheel. the headlight was an option in those years. as far as I know you can still buy them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You'll want to know if there's a diode (rectifier) being used with that stator (it doesn't look like you have one at the connector.) I upgraded my early-70's briggs with a flywheel/stator and had to remove the single diode which was right at the connector.

Start your motor, take your voltmeter and set it to the DC voltage...put the black probe on the exposed engine block & the red probe in that connector. If you measure anything other than zero volts, you likely have a single diode serving as a half-wave rectifier.

If you have your heart set on an LED, you should scrap that single diode and go with a full-wave bridge rectifier with a large smoothing capacitor. this topic is EXTREMELY well covered here (according to earlier replies, you're already familiar with this): Upgrading your snowblower lights to LED lights by superedge88.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Yup, you'd need to add a rectifier to the circuit to change the AC to DC for most LEDs out there. I have see a few LED headlights that supposedly have a rectifier built in so they would be all you'd need but they were pretty expensive.
That link to the LED thread is a really good thread. It's the first few pages that have most of the info and the other couple hundred pages are just everyone asking questions or posting their own experiences.

You can also just go to an auto parts store and get an 18 watt incandescent to mount and use now as is and have light while you research, find parts, assemble and install your LED. There are pre made rectifiers on Ebay and other sites too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I measured 11.8 AC volts. Per the manual I have 5 amps.
I got two cree 10 w LED floods that draw 0.86 amps each.
I got the capacitor and rectifier off Amazon.
The $2 capacitor and fuse holder are coming from China...Ughh.
I'm too stubborn to just go buy them at the store.
I'll post pics when they finally get here. Hopefully before it snows!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I measured 11.8 AC volts. Per the manual I have 5 amps.
I got two cree 10 w LED floods that draw 0.86 amps each.
I got the capacitor and rectifier off Amazon.
The $2 capacitor and fuse holder are coming from China...Ughh.
I'm too stubborn to just go buy them at the store.
I'll post pics when they finally get here. Hopefully before it snows!
When you set the voltmeter to DC, do you get 0V?

·
9,612 Posts
YEAH but there is no voltage regulator on those engines. so the light will dim out and light back up going through the power bands.:eek:mg::emoticon-south-park

1 - 18 of 18 Posts