Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, getting the machine ready for winter, I got a metal replacement carb for my 2002 model 2450 single. The machine is cleaned up, tightened everything, cleaned up and I may even wax the plastic top housing. (overkill perhaps?) My Toro dealer said he'll adjust the idle/governor spring assembly for me when I get it running. Is this anything I can do without a tachometer? The fuel lines are in good shape, filter is clear and I'm using Sunoco unleaded ethanol free 87 gas with Echo 2 cyc oil mixed to the recommended 50:1 ratio. Going backwards the engine was racing excessively this winter, towards the end so I stopped using it. Thankfully at that point the snow stopped! My dealer told me this is a common problem on many units due to the plastic carburetor leaking thus running lean. He and the service guys have replaced many carbs, I did mine and saved some cash, it's easy. Sounds reasonable to me. What say you guys? Thanks for the help.

Bill in soon to be snowy Pennsylvania.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
there are a lot of 2450's with plastic carbs ( not one of toro's brighter ideas ) but the only way to know if you have a plastic carb is to take a look inside the cover. some people don't know there is a problem and just use their 2450 as is

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well, after working on a Lawn-Boy with a plastic carb, I understand the frustration. Eventually, I doubled up on the gaskets. This is after soaking the carb in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, all of the parts, and making spacers for the bolts to actually apply the force to the opposing flange, and tighten it up and allow the governor to work as it was intended.

And welcome with someone with the same last name.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Bill!

Did you get it running with the new carb? I have a 2450 that has the original plastic carb and this thing revs to the moon even with the throttle closed!! I'm leaning towards replacing the carb as you did, but want to make sure that solved your issue.

Let me know & good luck.
Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts