Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help here as I'm at wits-end with this repair. I have replaced the Bendix-drive parts on the OEM electric starter on my Toro 826 blower, and have inspected all the other parts in the electric-start assembly. When bench-tested, the starter motor fires-up, the Bendix parts do what they are supposed to do. On the snowblower, when activated, the starter will try to engage the flywheel momentarily, and then stop, blowing the ACFI/GCFI breaker in my shop panel. When I say "momentarily", the drive gear (even when manually engaged with the flywheel) will not spin the flywheel, it seems the motor fails under load. What to do, next? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
Welcome to SBF Geo

Starting with the basics, does the engine spin over with normal effort using the pull cord ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
However, I would say: The engagement of the new plastic gear with the flywheel teeth seems a bit "tight". I'm wondering if putting a set of thin washers between the motor and the engine block might ease that fit. I also wonder if there are "start" and "run" windings in the motor, and whether the "run" side might be shorted-out, or need new brushes. I've not taken it apart to look, yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You likely have a short to ground. Start Look for lose wire and burn Marks in the least expensive to most expensive areas. Wires in the cord, switch box and to the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts