Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a Harbor freight Predator engine for my Toro 421, which threw a rod through the block last winter.
With a coupon that can be had pretty cheap. I have seen a few Tecumsehs on CL, but the price of a new Harbor Freight engine is pretty tempting.
Anything I should know before I do this?
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
not really, its pretty much a direct swap at least on a toro 521. the only thing you will have to change is is the bolt for the belt guide and the engine crankshaft bolt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Watch the linkage carefully when you use it. It tends to get gummed up with the snow you're blowing and it can freeze up on you.

A few members have made a shroud/cover to keep crap out of the throttle and governor linkages.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i was also able to reuse the existing kill switch, simply cut off the existing plug where they connected to the old engine, extend the wires, and follow the pics for the rest. both switches will function normally 20150913_163733_resized.jpg 20150913_163739_resized.jpg 20150913_163759_resized.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I leave mine in. I figure if there is a problem it won't take long to remove and if there isn't a problem it will add a little extra protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did this swap on a 3521 with the HF engine.
3 of the 4 are very easy to get a ratchet on from underneath. One I had to use an open end wrench on.
I used some spacers I bought at Home Depot to move the auger control mount out so the rod would clear the engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doing the operation NOW on a Toro Power Throw 622. Engine output pulley, and rework of chute crank are the only things I've run into. Otherwise going smooth as can be. I'm using a $99 predator 6hp I think, can't remember for sure as I had put this motor on a different blower 2 years ago that now has a transmission problem and its from the 1960's so parts are a joke. At least this Toro is fairly newer model. Less than 30 years old is newer to me. Anyway, the swap should be nearly painless. If I run into any other issues or problems, I'll get back on the thread and let you know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is the best place to get the sleeve to fit the 1" pulley onto the 3/4" output shaft on the predator engine?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts