Snowblower Forum banner

toro 5/24 question/ problem

8K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  eshernius 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi i recently purchased an old toro 5/24 with the tecumseh motor. it runs fine and goes into reverse no problem, but when you put it into drive or any other 2nd or 3rd speeds it moves in a very weak crawl.. any idea on what it cold be? Model number 38040 serial number is 5001999 apparently its a 1985

#2 ·
:welcome: to SBF toroblower. Good choice on the machine you purchased. Chances are the shift rod will have to be adjusted, or, the friction disc needs cleaning. Below is a link that one of our moderators (shryp) so graciously posted on the maintenance of two stage Toro blowers. You will have to remove the belly pan (4 screws) to see the friction disc and linkage.

http://shryp.ashendust.com/Snowblowers/2stagdrv.pdf

Reactions: toroblower
#5 ·
it looks like theres one friction disk but 2 disks. the wheel with the rubber has a bolt on the left of the wheel that was loose. i tightened it up pretty tight and now it doesnt have a reverse gear and still no drive gears. still not sure how to adjust the shift linkage. i followed the steps in the link above but i believe its for a different model as this one is about 30 years old.

#8 ·
Without the model and serial numbers we have no clue which 5hp 24" machine you have. :question:
Pictures of the transmission components would be very helpful too.

Since it's weak in all gears it's more likely a friction or pressure issue between the friction disc and the disc that drives it. Have you checked the condition of the drive belt and the tension of the belt when the drive is engaged ??

#9 ·
#10 ·
i believe the year is early 80s model number is 38040. the reverse works good but its slow like a crawl in drive and blows snow about 5 to 6 feet max at top speed. im not sure where the adjustment spring is on this blower. i think i followed the wrong snowblower manual! the drive belt and auger belt are adjusted correctly.

#19 ·
there are rods coming out of the gear case. if I could I would cut/paste and glue them all over this place. but for some odd reason I can not.:facepalm_zpsdj194qh anyhoo back to this life. disconnect at those turn buckels and crank the in for more ommph, or out for less ommph. just let me know how it goes there .:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

#22 ·
Hi,

Was wondering if you ever figured out the slow forward movement? I have a similar problem that has progressed to only forward or reverse after adjusting the rod for the friction wheel. I was wondering if you replaced the friction wheel or not and if it made a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.